Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: How long can you stay under?

Way to go, Emma! A freediving course seems the best way to improve safely.

Renee from Seaunseen posted her second part of the breathe up for freediving: Part 2: final breaths.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHoUzPhgqPo

Very informative. (And gosh, does she look FIT... Sorry, I'm male and couldn't resist this reaction... Clichés, right? Lol!)
    First part is here: http://youtu.be/rNGKj8iiFK4

Cheers!

PS: NEVER ever train alone in the water. Can't stress that enough! Do have someone watching you (like a hawk, and NOT from a distance!).

i have my tank gig today in front of many people.. i have been practicing but no free diving.. can do 1.30 on land and under 30 moving in the water.. i will try to warm up better. doesn't help when the gig I'm at has so many pros to compete with... wish me luck lol

Barely a minute. Even less if I am actually moving :P
    Up From The Sea, We Rise
    Up To The World Of Skies
    There's Never Been, Not Ever Before
    A Child Born of Sea & Shore

Last time I was timed, i was around 23 seconds while swimming with my fin. That was from the shallow end of the pool to the deep end of the pool. Also it was on one breath.

I just cracked two minutes static! My main problem with holding my breath under water is I spend so much energy trying to stay under.

Stupid floaty butt.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Hooray!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could just float on the surface (just please warn us lifeguards). I usually hold my self down using the pool ladder.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman Chatfish View Post
    You could just float on the surface (just please warn us lifeguards). I usually hold my self down using the pool ladder.
    I've never practiced breath holds in a public pool but now I can't stop picturing panicked lifeguards "rescuing" me lol

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I don't do it either.

Though I tried it last week and the stupid underwater self floating up feet first, and the hands struggling to get a grip on the in-set ladder... Not a very nice mermaidy picture! The minute I let go of the ladder, I went shooting straight to the surface without having to kick or swim!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Chatfish View Post
    If I hold myself down with the ladder, starting in a sitting position, I actually filp upside down so that my butt is on the surface. I have to fight just as much to hold myself in place that I might as well swim.

Floating on the surface and breath holding just bores me.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I can't even go in a sitting position underwater... Its just not worth the effort for us floaty mermaids!

I rather just swim too.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Wesley View Post
    I've never practiced breath holds in a public pool but now I can't stop picturing panicked lifeguards "rescuing" me lol

You should have seen me on my first day of life-guarding. It was July of 1997, a few months after my 18th birthday, and I was burning in the sun after having responded to an impromptu calling to an outdoor pool when I saw a middle-aged Indian man floating face down in the middle of the pool. All my training from 1995 onward came shooting back and I barely restrained myself from blowing the whistle and leaping into the pool to perform mouth-to-mouth....

...I restrained myself because there was another man standing in the pool right next to him. I asked this man if his corpse-like friend was OK, and he said yes. Being an attentive life guard can at times be stressful, which may explain why so many life guards avoid it.
    Because you can be a mermaid and have an immortal soul!

COMING SOMETIME (THERE'S NO HURRY):
    MY TAIL; Merbella Studios and Tia Michelle Pesando's Collaboration,
    THE FIRE ANGEL SEA DRAGON a.k.a.
    THE MER ON FIRE​!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania moomer's Avatar
    There are some mighty impressive times here!
    Static: 47 seconds average.
    Dynamic: 40 seconds average.
    I am practicing simple breathing techniques to help extend these times, and actually allowing my self the time to relax. It's a very handy side effect of breath training!

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    I can swim a full minute with the tail holding my breathe. I'm sure it's less if I stand still because my mind insist I must need to do something. The only training I have on breath holding is I got to clean the bathrooms at both of my jobs and I will hold my breathe as I'm cleaning the toliets everyday. I refuse to breathe that stuff in as as I clean. Apparently that practice actually paid off.

I can only hold for about 30 seconds now. I used to get in breath holding contests in middle school 4-5 years back, and got to about a minute and twenty seconds static, but I haven't done that in a while. Would it be weird if I practiced walking down hallways at school, lol?
    Proud Merman, Eaglescout, DIYer, and lover of nature

Member Euro Pod
    Add Ocean on Facebook
    Visit Ocean's Youtube Channel
    My personal best static is 6mins and I really have no idea about dynamic but it covered 125meters.... thank goodness for AIDA freedive training
    International competitive freediver, mermaid and owner of Blue Water Freediving School - YES we run Mermaid courses and are suppliers of the leading monofin brands, including the brand new Ocean Star mermaid monofin!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=5iGwkUaztLc
    https://www.bluewaterfreediving.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Takahao View Post
    I can only hold for about 30 seconds now. I used to get in breath holding contests in middle school 4-5 years back, and got to about a minute and twenty seconds static, but I haven't done that in a while. Would it be weird if I practiced walking down hallways at school, lol?
    It's actually a great way to train, called apnea walking. No one needs to know while you're doing it
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Add Ocoree on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    It's actually a great way to train, called apnea walking. No one needs to know while you're doing it
    I oughta try that walking around at work since I'm on my feet all day!

Quote Originally Posted by Ocoree View Post
    I oughta try that walking around at work since I'm on my feet all day!
    Yup, hope it helps!
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Holly's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Holly on MySpace
    Right now, my best while standing still is 1:30, 1:15 average. I have yet to time myself when it comes to actually being underwater. Mostly, I hold my breath while looking at the clock in Science class XD.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    "Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me."

Psalm 42:7