Thread: How long can you stay under?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Tom Sietas can stay underwater for 22 minutes and 22 seconds. Unfortunately, I'm not that strong to stay that long LOL. Maybe 22 seconds only

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Everett View Post
    Tom Sietas can stay underwater for 22 minutes and 22 seconds. Unfortunately, I'm not that strong to stay that long LOL. Maybe 22 seconds only
    Not really. Tom Siatas personal record ( and at the time world record) was 10:12 seconds. His 22minutes was done breathing PURE OXEGYN . Pure oxygen or even a Mixed gas mix works because the air we breath is only 21% oxygen. If we move to a 100% pure mix then our lungs still absorb the 02 at it's normal rate of diffusion. But with 5 times the amount allow us ridiculous long breath holds. The limiting factor with 02 breath holds is co2 tolerance.It's cool to use for performance if you're properly trained; Because there are some dangers involved like co2 toxicity and o2 poisoning at depth. . sorry for the mansplaining

Before moving to pure oxygen so you can one up David Blane, you should be a trained freediver.
    Last edited by Derek Broussard; 06-25-2018 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Everett View Post
    Well he took pure oxygen before! The longest natural breath hold was about 12 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by KTMaggs View Post
    Well he took pure oxygen before! The longest natural breath hold was about 12 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app
    Well, thanks for letting me know about it. I did not know that Tom took pure oxygen before.