Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How long can you stay under?

Member Euro Pod Kitty-Madison Snel's Avatar
    How long can I stay underwater... well, my best static time was 6:00. Dynamic with a mermaidtail: 100 meters. But normally I stay underwater for 2:30 or 50 - 75 meters dynamic.

The highest I've gone while swimming was 45 or 50 seconds. The lifeguards at my pool don't like it when people hold their breath for too long, so I have a hard time trying to go higher. Haha

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Caidence's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Caidence's Youtube Channel
    The longest I ever held my breath for was 2 minutes and 5 seconds. I can hold my breath on average about 1 minute and 45 seconds. But that's while not moving.
    Formerly known as Mermaid Serinessa

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Miel's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Miel's Youtube Channel
    20-30secs Dynamic, just short of 1 width of the pool.
    I havent tried to get a static reading because it freaks out the Lifeguards and my beloved mertender.

1:30. I wish I could do more
    Name:  IMG_1334.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  317.7 KB

Swimming time underwater used to be 2:30 and static was 3:00, but that was back when I was on a swim team and doing the junior lifeguard stuff. I'm a little out of shape now, but I was able to clock my static at 2:00 just now. I'll let you know what my swim time is once I hit up the pool the next time.

Not moving- just under 4 min
    swimming- just under 2 min
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

Ilonka, I love that picture of you. :P

2 minutes static, I havn't timed myself dynamic! Although I've got in contact with a free-diving instructor so I'll be starting lessons soon to hopefully improve

My longest so far is 1:06 when not moving and an average of 40 seconds when swimming around. I haven't timed myself in a long time though, so I most likely improved.
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Eek! I can only hold my breath for ten seconds not moving.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Elle's Avatar
    Follow Elle On Twitter
    Visit Elle's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by merana View Post
    Eek! I can only hold my breath for ten seconds not moving.
    it's a case of practice. I used to only be able to do 10, like yourself. I've gotten up to 40-50 now.

For those who are practicing or want to practice, my buddy who is a regular free diver told me to wait five minutes between each attempt to let your body return to normal and relax again so it's safe to try again.
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

For static my personal best was 2 minutes, 32 seconds years ago. I've never timed myself while swimming.

Do you all find that holding your breath above water, like sitting in school or at work, helps as practice? Or should practice only be underwater?

"There are stories in the chuckle of waters in creeks, and epics told in the tides of oceans." – Atticus from the Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne
    "The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." –Jacques Cousteau

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Elle's Avatar
    Follow Elle On Twitter
    Visit Elle's Youtube Channel
    No, practicing out of water is really good. You can get to air easy and there is a very, very low risk of drowning!
    I do breath-holds while I'm walking/jogging around in my garden.

2m50s is my longest time underwater, static. While swimming my time is a lot less, but I'm not very good at swimming efficiently yet. I can only just about do 60m dynamic with bifins.
    But am practicing a lot more! all it takes is doing it enough for my body to get used to it.

I posted earlier but forgot to mention myself.

I haven't officially timed myself but I know I'm under a minute for both. I'm doing breathing exercises right now and I've actually noticed that since I started whistling a lot more I'm doing better. I'm also going to try and do a freediving course this summer and I hope to improve my breath-holding techniques.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Narina's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Narina's Youtube Channel
    1 minute 20 static and 1 minute 40 underwater!! Its actually EASIER for me in water!! But if im swimming, i use up more energy and cant hold my breath as long...
    User previously known as "Natasha".

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    Right now I can stay under for about 30 seconds. I'm working to stay under for longer though

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    It's very inconsistent for me :/

My record static was around 3 min, and I didn't even feel it was hard.
    At other times, I barely manage 2 min.
    Swimming, I once was under 2 min and didn't even notice, and yet sometimes, I can't dive longer than 30 seconds or so.

No idea why it is like that- probably because I have a chronical illness which sometimes affects my sinuses and ears.
    I also never did any breathholding training, warm-up, or special techniques