Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How long can you stay under?

Senior Member Pod of Cali spottedcatfish's Avatar
    Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    Follow spottedcatfish on Tumblr Visit spottedcatfish's Youtube Channel
    I just tried doing a breath hold, and breathing up before it, while relaxing. Like what a freediver would do. Before I could only do 30 seconds, but this time I got 1.02 mins!! It really helps to prepare before you hold your breath! I should do this daily. I've never gotten to a minute timed before!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    ^^were you swimming, or static?

Senior Member Pod of Cali spottedcatfish's Avatar
    Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    Follow spottedcatfish on Tumblr Visit spottedcatfish's Youtube Channel
    It was just a static breathhold.

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    So far, My record is 1 minute, but on average I'm under for about 40 seconds.
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Moving underwater my record is 1:10 but my average is 30-40 seconds. On land I once got 1:30, but I was trying to fall asleep and I was really relaxed, so I don't think I'll be doing that again anytime soon. I play saxophone so that helps a lot with breathholding.
    ~~~~~~~Happy Swimming!!~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~The Seagirls (Fiona and Elena)

Check out our YouTube channal!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/626SeaGirls

Mystic Waters will hopefully premier in Fall 2013

Our Facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/TheSeaGirls?fref=ts

Senior Member Pod of New England MerMarla's Avatar
    Ages ago, when I worked at Weeki Wachee, I held a very short record of 4m:12s, doing a deep dive (this is considered a working breath-hold). I was in a tail for this part of the show, and remember that the announcer had to rewind the music background tape twice, which was 2 minutes long. I had company in the audience so I did my best for that show. Not realizing my grandfather was timing it! So it made sense to me when I heard the music tape twice... and then some blank time inbetween to rewind it. I held that record for only a few months when another Mermaid broke it doing the same routine, a deep dive. Her record was just under 5 minutes... I believe now the record is near 6 minutes. (BTW, a Deep Dive, can be as deep as 80 or 117 feet! We go down using an air hose, but it is removed (hauled up) so the audience can see the bubbles trailing from the hose, there is no supplemental air there, just alot of rocks to wedge yourself into against the water flow from the springhead. You can tell how deep a Mermaid goes by the size of the rising bubbles in the current from the outflow! The larger the bubble, the closer to the surface you are, so from the deepest stop, the bubbles coming up are really really tiny, and beautiful!... I digress... LOL!)

Currently, I can only hold my breath just under 2 minutes anymore (always stated as working, not static).... It seems dependent on water temperature (the warmer, the shorter time I get breath-holding), and if I prepared for it doing diaphramatic breathing, etc., similar to what freedivers do now, I could extend longer. I am working my way back up into the 3 minute working range, just because I know I can do it! (at the moment I am recovering from a concussion, and my neurologist would frown on any breath holding other than a quick 10-15 sec dive!... LOL What he doesn't know won't kill him, but might hurt me, so, I am trying to be good. I have several months of rehab to go, so I sort of have to behave! LOL)

Good luck to all increasing your breath-holding time. Just be safe doing it!
    Hugz and Bubble 'z
    Mermaid Marla
    Once a Mermaid, always a mermaid!
    Weeki Wachee Springs - 1969-1972

Static: 1:00
    moving: 1:10
    i want to still improve.
    That awkward moment when someone says mermaids aren't real... And I'm standing right next to them...

<3 I also go by
    Mermaid Myra as that is my business persona

<strike>
    </strike>

Check out my new Instagram page! <3
    https://www.instagram.com/mermaidmyraofficial/

Come visit me on FaceBook!
    https://www.facebook.com/mermaidmyra/

Swim by my YouTube channel!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb7...J8Shs1b10Psjrg

~Formerly known as "Mermaid Nerin"~

Senior Member Pod of New England MerMarla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Nerin View Post
    Static: 1:00
    moving: 1:10
    i want to still improve.
    HI Mermaid Nerin!
    You will!
    Just keep practicing! What I found helpful was simple distraction. Thinking about the flecks in the pool wall, or counting the tile colors... whatever works. At WWS we watched the fish, or the eelgrass swaying, or looked at the rocks, but most of all I would be mesmerized by watching the bubbles go up! It was a great way to practice bubble rings too, they get really big, and fall apart if you don't give them enuf air to form all the way up! Since we HAD to exhale on the way up (remember we were breathing compressed air on the way down) it was fun to watch the bubbles!

You will do fine, just do it slowly and consistantly!

Hugz and Bubble 'z
    Mermaid Marla
    Once a Mermaid, always a mermaid!
    Weeki Wachee Springs - 1969-1972

Senior Member Pod of Texas MermaidSaku's Avatar
    I can only stay under for 2-3 min and it takes some serious calming and relaxing int he water before i do it. : /

My record for static was 1:45, but on average it is 30-40 seconds.
    “The cure for anything is salt water -- sweat, tears, or the sea.”
    Isak Dinesen - http://www.worldofquotes.com/topic/water/2/index.html
    Follow me on Facebook and Youtube!

My Facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mermai...38613266232787

My Youtube page:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MermaidDanielle2012

Quote Originally Posted by MerMarla View Post
    HI Mermaid Nerin!
    You will!
    Just keep practicing! What I found helpful was simple distraction. Thinking about the flecks in the pool wall, or counting the tile colors... whatever works. At WWS we watched the fish, or the eelgrass swaying, or looked at the rocks, but most of all I would be mesmerized by watching the bubbles go up! It was a great way to practice bubble rings too, they get really big, and fall apart if you don't give them enuf air to form all the way up! Since we HAD to exhale on the way up (remember we were breathing compressed air on the way down) it was fun to watch the bubbles!

You will do fine, just do it slowly and consistantly!

Hugz and Bubble 'z
    Mermaid Marla
    Thanks! I never thought of that. Lol! I'll definitely use that next time!
    That awkward moment when someone says mermaids aren't real... And I'm standing right next to them...

<3 I also go by
    Mermaid Myra as that is my business persona

<strike>
    </strike>

Check out my new Instagram page! <3
    https://www.instagram.com/mermaidmyraofficial/

Come visit me on FaceBook!
    https://www.facebook.com/mermaidmyra/

Swim by my YouTube channel!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb7...J8Shs1b10Psjrg

~Formerly known as "Mermaid Nerin"~

I haven't timed myself in three months or so, but my latest was 2.30 static and 1 minute dynamic
    I dont practice static breath-holding underwater, though, so I think that if I did my time would be longer thanks to the good old mammalian dive reflex! I avoid doing it because often I'm alone and shallow water blackout is a real possibility. I do it sitting on my bed so if I do pass out I'm safe! XD

Static: 2:50, Moving: 2:30
    there's something in the water
    i do not feel safe
    it always feels like torture to be this close
    i wish that i was stronger; i'd separate the waves
    ( not just let the water take me away)

So..
    ok.. Im not sure i posted before but new stats anyways...

Static 2:30 at 12ft depth
    Dynamic 1:30 leisurely pace
    Dynamic 45 full pelt kick

Also can swim 112ft-150ft lengths on one breath.
    Recently proven to be able to free dive 35ft on one breath

Junior Member Pod of Oceania mermaid Syrean's Avatar
    Ive been free diving and training for a while now but at my last practice these were my recorded results
    dive depth - 7meters
    because its in a pool haha my dynamtic swim is - 50meters in a single breath hold
    dynamic breath hold - 1:30mins
    wet static - 3:30mins <3

currently training to become a free diving instructor :P
    Last edited by mermaid Syrean; 09-25-2013 at 03:36 AM.
    User previously known as "XxMermaidSakuraxX".

.oO My heart is pierced by Cupid Oo.
    I disdain all glittering gold
    There is nothing can console me
    But my jolly sailor bold
    Come all you pretty fair maids
    Whoever you may be
    Who love a jolly sailor
    .oO That plows the raging sea Oo.

"Dont let the fear of drowning keep you from diving deeper"

I'm pretty new to all this, but with limited air gulping before holding my breath allows me to get to static of 1:30. Without gulping, I'm around half of that. I don't know my dynamic time yet.

More practice is in order!

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    I always get my best breath holds just after I finish my CO2 tables (hold 30 seconds, breath 2 minutes, hold 45 seconds, breath 2 minutes, and so on by 15 seconds until I can't go any longer) Best static was 2:45, after recovering from that I held my breath while pacing around the house and had a hold of 1 minute. Of course, neither of those were in the water, I think I might do better with the dive reflex helping me.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mary Marine's Avatar
    About 30-40 seconds while swimming, 2:00 - 2:30 while sitting above water. It seems harder to hold your breath underwater sitting still when you have the water pressure pushing on your chest.

I practice while I'm driving and listening to music since the CD player while show the track time. Time seems to go faster when you can tell yourself "just make it to the end of the chorus." Then I'll take a break during the next song, so every other track I'll hold my breath.

I'll also practice this breathing exercise: inhale for 8 counts, hold for 16 counts, exhale for 8 counts.

20 seconds swimming (my last swim was last year, lol) and 2:00 static; my record is 2:30.
    (Formerly known as Mermaid Claudia)

Senior Member Pod of The South MermanZen's Avatar
    Moving slowly 1 to 2 mins. when im still maybe 3 or more