Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: How long can you stay under?

I can hold my breath for 2 minutes. Working on more.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Cure for anything is Saltwater, Sweat, Tears or The Sea
    (Isak Dinesen)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Merman Jace Aquarius

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    Damn.

Some impressive times up in here.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    10 -20 secs... Terrible innit?

Maybe I should start practicing in front of the tv too.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 02-04-2014 at 03:59 PM.

I'm at about 1 minute 20 seconds static. It's closer to 45 seconds while swimming quickly. The longest I've gone is 2 minutes, but that doesn't usually happen...

My static apnea record is just over 3 minutes and 20 seconds, though without a good gulp of air I seldom go beyond two minutes.
    Because you can be a mermaid and have an immortal soul!

COMING SOMETIME (THERE'S NO HURRY):
    MY TAIL; Merbella Studios and Tia Michelle Pesando's Collaboration,
    THE FIRE ANGEL SEA DRAGON a.k.a.
    THE MER ON FIRE​!

Senior Member Euro Pod selkie13's Avatar
    I can't time myself underwater (I'm as blind as a bat) but on land I can hold my breath for 1 minute and 7 seconds

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Melanie's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Melanie on Facebook
    just yesterday I finally broke my personal best static at 2 mins 37 ! Woooo
    Yougot your own style, now let it come through. And remember no matter what, you got to be you. -Sebastian

Congratulations, Melanie (your avy looks very happy about it...lol)

I haven't actually timed myself underwater since my first time monofinning, but then I pulled off a very-active 45 seconds as an entry-level bit. I haven't been trying to beat my static apnea record of about 3 and a half minutes, but I recently have been endeavouring with breath-holding without a full gulp of air. It is still static, but it provides preparation for those times when one doesn't have as much prep-time as one might like before being submerged. Without air-filled lungs, my record is 2 minutes and 41 seconds.

THE MER ON FIRE​!

Super! Congratulations Melanie also from me
    Everybody seems to be able to hit 2mins, cool! I just starter "training" for AIDA 2, we are having a course here in May and I so desperately want to nail it and get the darn card!! I started jogging and doing breathing exercises. Before starting dry best 37sec lol now 1.02min. Still have to get to 2min because it's one of the requirements to pass the course. Any tips from you who have done similiar courses?
    Hopefully I get a "mentor" after getting accepted to local diving sports club
    Last edited by Mermaid Riia; 03-22-2014 at 09:32 AM.
    Mermaid Riia
    (Merenneito Riia)

Finland's first mermaid entertainer

www.merenneitoriia.fi

user formerly known as Riiarin

I lifeguarded for 9 years, yet never was trained in breath-holding (thus I don't recommend trying my "breath-holding without a good gulp of air" approach yourself!)
    My best advice is STAY CALM. When one is new to breath-holding (as admittedly, I am somewhat) one will hear their heart pounding in their chest and be counting the seconds. This will not work at all unless one's constitution is already high and will never work as well as a relaxed approach.

Start out on land, so that you can remind yourself that there is nothing to fear, until you become very confident in your time and can hit it regularly. Having something to distract your thoughts away from yourself will also help greatly. For example, the first time I topped 3m 15s was when I was watching the ending swim sequence in Splash!; I wanted to go from Daryl Hannah's submersion to the point at which she and Tom Hanks reach the underwater city and the pan to it begins, yet I had only planned to top 2m 30s in the process!
    Last edited by MermaidMichelle; 03-22-2014 at 12:44 PM. Reason: I just wanted to add that your tail looks amazing!

THE MER ON FIRE​!

3m30s is my best static. That's on the couch though, hopefully I'll be getting to the pool again soon and I'll try and improve!

1min30secs, im working on getting it higher but for now im pleased with it :P
    User formerly known as "MermaidLex"
    ~My heads underwater, but I'm breathing fine~

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by green52 View Post
    Damn.

Some impressive times up in here.
    yep, reading some of them I always have a voice in my head going, "pics or it didn't happen"

Quite; my time of 3m 20-30s was just over halfway to the world record for a woman, but here it seems to be near the lower end of the "D***. Some impressive times up in here" spectrum....

THE MER ON FIRE​!

Thanks guys you all sound like your doing fab ! I went training again this week with my coach and am now over the 3 minute mark ! (3:03)
    Name:  P4030001 copy.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  799.7 KB

When I first started freediving I could barely hold my breath for 40 seconds so this for me is a real personal achievement - when people tell you ad others you are no good at something don't let that keep you down ! use it and turn it into positive motivation! anything is possible ! x
    Yougot your own style, now let it come through. And remember no matter what, you got to be you. -Sebastian

Hey chick - I found temperature was a key factor for me - make sure you have a wetsuit thats keeping you warm and comfortable - once you get cold in the water its hard to relax - also your breathe up is a big part of it - try timing 3 mins just tidal breathing nice and slow - some people use the 1 in 2 out method ( breathe in for so many counts and breathe out double that ) - this slows your heart rate down, in turn using less oxygen. Try to relax every part of your body from the tip of your head to the tips of your toes - some instructors will do relaxation techniques with you - my instructor ( AIDA Judge - Sarah Whitcher ) was very good at this - meditation and yoga help with getting into the zone - don't worry about numbers - its not really about that - its about learning your body and how you feel - how to listen to it. I find a lot of people when they do a static are very stiff in the neck - your head should be free and slightly bobbing with the water - releasing tension in the muscles will really help - and remember your body has to adapt and get use to higher levels of CO2 - so longer statics might not happen overnight - it can take time but patience is key to this as well as practise. I usually do 3 statics - my best is normally my second - first one is a warm up and the last one I'm usually a bit tired but remember your breathe up in-between - my breathe up I have been practising recently is 3 mins slow tidal breathing , 3 light purge breaths then 1 full inhale - fill the belly first then the chest the suck in that last drop like you sucking through a straw- then start the static. hope some of this helped ! everyone is different so play around ( with a buddy) until you find what works best for you xx

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Just out of curiosity, what are the record breath holds without breathing pure oxygen beforehand?
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

breathing pure oxygen before hand would disqualify you from holding a record - its kinda like cheating thats why competitors have to show up at least 1 hour before they are due to start so that they don't have the benefits of breathing oxygen and enhancing their performance

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Aziara View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what are the record breath holds without breathing pure oxygen beforehand?
    around 7-10min. mostly men, but Natalia Molchanova is at 7:30.
    Note that this is static only though. (and always the same few guys competing against themselves, so it's not a common lungvolume)

Dynamic, it's much, much less if you consider that even with NoLimits (the guys that drive down on a sled and get back up with a balloon, meaning they basically don't have to move), a single dive isn't supposed to take much longer than 3-4 minutes.

When mers time themselves, they usually don't mean "that one time" they can do once per day and need several hours preparation for, but a working breathhold they could easily do 50 times in a row without breaking a sweat, and only short surface periods in between.
    (at least, that's the way I measure myself)

To arrive at a conclusion what a really impressive, repeatable dynamic breathhold is, you'd have to look up the dive times of, say, pro pearl divers or spear fishers.

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Thanks, Caltuna. Every time I'd look up breath hold records, it was always 15-20 minutes, but they took oxygen beforehand, so I didn't think that was really a true test of how long they could hold their breath. I'm gonna see if I can find out what the breath holds of pearls divers are. I'd like to know what is possible for us mers.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow