Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: How long can you stay under?

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel

How long can you stay under?

Well 30 is average so you're already above that. You have to keep practicing to improve, but don't be unsafe!

Sent from my shellphone using Tapatalk

42 seconds static......havent done dynamic
    One small flip for a mer one giant leap for merkind!

Don't you worry! I was 41sec static for a long time, practice practice and patience
    I practice dynamic holding my breath while walking around our couch (ofc have another pair of eyes watching me). This thread has very useful info and tips too!
    Mermaid Riia
    (Merenneito Riia)

Finland's first mermaid entertainer

www.merenneitoriia.fi

user formerly known as Riiarin

Yeah I'm @ work too lol. I am trying to do the exercises, but I forget to time it....
    One small flip for a mer one giant leap for merkind!

Something I do occasionally is pretend you are getting ready to go to sleep. I put my feet on the side of the pool and gently do a simple support scull.Put a noodle under your head. and just do what yo do to fall asleep. After so long, your heart rate will go down. Also your spotter could even make you feel anxious. Like your'e pressed for time and they are expecting something of you? I get like that sometimes.
    come find Mermaid-Odette on facebook!
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I don't have a personal spotter... Though I do have many lifeguards watching me all the time at the pool.

Junior Member Pod of Oceania
    North Pacific Pod
    Pod of Cali
    North Carolina but I want to move to hawaii when Im older
    Usually my average time is from 30 to 45 seconds moving, but have not counted staying still. Once I actually was underwater for about 1 minute and 15 secs while moving!!! I was so proud of myself! My trick that time was to go into a fish state of mind and relax. If you don't think about your breath you'll go ALOT longer!

Well I used to do a static 3 min when I was younger, but since I took up smoking when i was in the military it regressed a lot! i am now about 30 sec static. I have quit smoking i am happy to announce and am working on getting it back up.
    Last edited by Ashley; 07-16-2014 at 02:08 AM.

Congratulations to you both!

Ashley, I'm not surprised you were in the military; with lungs like yours you must have been a powerhouse! Congratulations again for giving up smoking, too; you are strong in both body and mind!
    Because you can be a mermaid and have an immortal soul!

COMING SOMETIME (THERE'S NO HURRY):
    MY TAIL; Merbella Studios and Tia Michelle Pesando's Collaboration,
    THE FIRE ANGEL SEA DRAGON a.k.a.
    THE MER ON FIRE​!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Narina's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Narina's Youtube Channel
    2 and a half minutes static, 1 min 45 sec underwater I use an app on my phone to practice

Static I don't know, but while swimming i would say maybe...8 seconds swimming? I am REALLY bad at it. I can hold my breath for a full minute sitting on the couch, but the minute i start moving around, forget it. I REALLY need some more cardio. But then again I'm very out of shape, so I'm sure it'll improve after more workouts.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Melanie's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Melanie on Facebook
    when your body is exposed to water cooler than your body temp. the mammalian dive reflex starts to kick in, which means your heart rate will start to drop, if you can focus on trying to relax each and every muscle in your body you should be able to hold for longer, just always have a buddy that knows what they are doing, make sure you try it in water you can stand up in and close to the edge, your buddy should keep you from floating away or your head hitting the wall by gently touching your back and moving you into place, when you feel its time to come up, be controlled and meaningful with your actions, bring your hands up in front of you, place them on the side of the pool, slowly bring your feet down under you, you can stay in this position for a bit longer if you feel comfortable, then you can decide when to slowly lift your face from the water. Once you come up remove your mask, nose clip whatever equipment on your face, signal OK to your buddy and say "I'm okay" this is whats called surface protocol and makes it easier for your buddy to determine how in control of your facilities.
    Yougot your own style, now let it come through. And remember no matter what, you got to be you. -Sebastian

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Good info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Euro Pod Nicky-Katz's Avatar
    I've broken my 2 minute record last week. Now I am at 2 minutes and 20 seconds in static. I've yet to measure my dynamic and immension time.

Be one with the world

I can get just above 2 minutes static, but I can only last about 30 seconds while swimming. I'm also trying to work on it!
    All that glitters is not gold,
    Not all who wander are lost.
    The old that is strong does not whither,
    Deep roots are not touched by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be broken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring.
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
    The crownless again shall be king.

It looks like you're too tense and unrelaxed underwater... Did you try some calming exercises before diving?

Be one with the world

I'm gonna have to just get a lot more cardio going and get into shape, because I still can't get beyond about 10-12 seconds active and a mere 20 seconds totally static underwater. It's embarrassing!

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidMichelle View Post
    Congratulations to you both!

Ashley, I'm not surprised you were in the military; with lungs like yours you must have been a powerhouse! Congratulations again for giving up smoking, too; you are strong in both body and mind!
    Thank you so much! Your a sweetheart.

Aquarianne, cardio is one thing and apnea - the other. Yes, you'll have to be fit to dive, but what you actually have to train is your breath muscles (your diaphragm and between the rib muscles).

Be one with the world

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky-Katz View Post
    Aquarianne, cardio is one thing and apnea - the other. Yes, you'll have to be fit to dive, but what you actually have to train is your breath muscles (your diaphragm and between the rib muscles).
    I can't figure out how to do that, none of the breathing exercise videos I've watched have really helped. What would you recommend?

For the record, I have no problem holding my breath for one minute while sitting on the couch at home, although by the last ten seconds I'm fighting it pretty flaily. XD