Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: How long can you stay under?

Senior Member Euro Pod Nicky-Katz's Avatar
    I went from about 40 seconds in static to my last 2 minute record in about a week of practice.

My advice would be pretty long and consists of diverse methods I've picked up from a lot of videos and a book I'm currently reading ( "Apnoetauchen" by Dagmar Anders-Brümmer - I'm not sure if the same book exists in English, but there are several other books which contain the relevant information. E.g. Pranayama). Anyways, here are a couple of things I use:

My usual wake-me-up Dragon Breath a.k.a. Fire Breathing:

What it does:
    - wakes me up almost every morning
    - activates stomach muscles and diaphragm
    - active exhale and passive inhale (yes, that's right). These help

1. Strengthen your exhale-muscles (upper stomach and diaphragm)
    2. Improve concentration
    3. Minimize your need to breathe
    4. Turn your perception inside you
    5. Improve emotion control

How to do it:

I've found a good explanation video that describes the exercise just as I'm doing it.

WARNING: due to hyperventilation danger NEVER EVER EVER EVER do this exercise right before the dive. It is meant to train your breathing muscles, not ready you for the dive!

Another exercise I'm doing is Triangle Breath or Alternate Nostril Breathing:

Waht it does:
    - it is basically meditation and helps to calm down
    - slows down breathing rate

How to do it:

Yet another video. It'd be a lot of text to type, and the video gives more clear instructions.

Note: I sometimes do this exercise before going into the water, just to calm down, lower my heart and breathing rate.

The last, but most helpful and in my case also most used is what I call Snake Breath. I did not find a video extra about that, so I'll type.

Waht it does:
    - slows your heart and breathing rate,
    - activates diaphragm, stomach and rib musles,
    - calms you down,
    - helps inhale more air.

How to do it:

I'm using this technique either for static dry practice or on the surface, pool edge etc. before the dive.

1. Lie down on your back. I like to raise my knees to ease tension on my stomach. Or lie down flat. Just as you like. Use flat or no cushion for your head - you have to make way for air through your throat, so knick in your neck is not an option. You can put your arms either on the sides of your body (or one palm on your belly and the other on your chest for starters) or you can stretch your arms overhead. Close your eyes if you like.
    2. Exhale completely.
    3. Inhale with your diaphragm first and then widen your chest to stretch the lungs and pump more air inside.
    4. Put your tongue against the roof of your mouth.
    4.1. Exhale through your mouth under pressure. You should be making a prelly loud snake-like sound: shhhhssssssssss!
    4.2 Your exhale time should be twice the time you've inhaled. Inhale slowly, exhale even more slowly. E.g. I usually inhale for about 6 seconds. That makes a 12 second exhale for me.
    Continue with 3.

Continue the exercise for several minutes. Inhale with your diaphragm and then your chest. And hold. See if your time has improved.
    At some point you'll feel the contractions of the diaphragm. That's your body telling you you need to exhale, as your CO2 level has risen. Ignore it. Ignore it longer and longer gradually. But don't forget you'll eventually need to breathe sometime soon.

Same exercise on the water surface:

You'll need a snorkel and a mask. And a buddy to watch over you! NEVER EVER EVER dive alone! NEVER EVER EVER hyperventilate!

1. While floating on your stomach, grab a hold of the pool edge so you don't float away.
    2. Breathe in the same way through the snorkel.
    3. Continue for several minutes.
    4. Hold. Important: take the snorkel out of your mouth!!

Note: your hold time in water static might probably be longer than your dry static due to mammalian diving reflex.

Another important thing about freediving is to practice often. I needed just a week to make a huge improvement. Also it can be helpful to write down your practice log. It is also useful to have a swimming trainer. I'm lucky to have joined the DLRG (German Life-Saving Association) and my boyfriend is one of their trainers. So no skipping training for me

In any case, keep practising, have a lot of fun and be safe while diving!

Be one with the world

I'm over 3 minutes static consistently, though I haven't done those exercises and suspect they would help a fair bit. One thing I shall add again for Aquarianne and others' benefit is this:

Particularly when timing your breath-holding, mentally remind yourself of what you have already been able to do​. Having this in your mind as a basis will help you reach this length (or pass it) more consistently, as you can more consciously resist the urge to exhale.
    Because you can be a mermaid and have an immortal soul!

COMING SOMETIME (THERE'S NO HURRY):
    MY TAIL; Merbella Studios and Tia Michelle Pesando's Collaboration,
    THE FIRE ANGEL SEA DRAGON a.k.a.
    THE MER ON FIRE​!

Senior Member Euro Pod Nicky-Katz's Avatar
    Oh, yeah, Michelle, you're totally right... Time is the enemy I never look at my timer and wonder every time I break my record

I use two types of timers: Unaerobic - which is an apnea-app with tables, where I have created my own routine (3 minutes breathe, 2 minutes hold and sycled for how many times I fell like doing) and the second is just the usual stop-watch, where I press the button when I'm not able to hold longer.
    In the first case I often fell like "two minutes, already!?" when the app tells me I'm done and have to breathe again. Even through one training it becomes easier and easier to reach the desired time mark.

Be one with the world

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I've been breath holding as I'm walking around at work. I figured its kinda like breath holding in swimming. Work colleagues always think I've smelt something bad in the boxes!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Melanie's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Melanie on Facebook
    So my coach Walter is back and we had a great training session this morning and I beat my personal best in statics - 3:31 ! very happy now I can see 4 mins on the horizon !
    Yougot your own style, now let it come through. And remember no matter what, you got to be you. -Sebastian

Well, I started at 40 seconds and am up to 1:47 static, and 30 active. It's not fabulous or anything, but I'm pleased to have more than doubled. Pleurisy last winter severely negatively impacted my lung capacity, and I'm getting back where I need to be. W00t.

Sorry, what do people mean by "static"? Is it not moving or moving?
    Formerly known as ireneho

yep. i've found that even having my eyes open and looking around reduces my hold times.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Sorry, what do people mean by "static"? Is it not moving or moving?
    Static: Still
    Dynamic: Moving

Static apnea (breath-holding) can be accomplished on land, and I highly recommend so doing if one is working on one's time!
    Because you can be a mermaid and have an immortal soul!

COMING SOMETIME (THERE'S NO HURRY):
    MY TAIL; Merbella Studios and Tia Michelle Pesando's Collaboration,
    THE FIRE ANGEL SEA DRAGON a.k.a.
    THE MER ON FIRE​!

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Ooh, there's some great info in here... Thank you so much Nicky-Katz for all the great exercises! I'll definitely be adding those to my daily routine to see if they help. I've been sittinghere doing "snake breath" for a few minutes and boy does that feel amazing on my lungs! I tried singing right after doing it and woah, there was a whole new range there for me to play with! My voice cracked for a minute because I didn't know what to do with all that air :P

I've only just quit smoking less than half a year ago, so I'm still trying to rebuild my lung capacity and retrain my voice (I used to be a pretty good singer, at least that's what I'm told). I don't get to go swimming too often - I haven't been since February I think - so pretty much all of my training is on land, and I have to try to make the most of my lungs so that when I do get to go swimming, I'm not wasting all my time trying to figure out how to hold my breath. Last time I pretty much flailed around trying to both breathe then sink - I float.

Tomorrow I'll try timing myself, then doing some exercises and see how much I can improve.

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

I can hold my breath 3 secs more than my first ever monofin swim. That makes it 13 secs so far! Its not much but I also notice that my heartbeat isn't all panicky like the first and second swims. Getting used to having my head underwater and to be able to see where I'm going helps alot.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Merman Jamie's Avatar
    i used to be able to do 3min but haven't done anything to do with breath hold for many years so will have to work my way up to that point again and hopefully take it even longer

20 secs at the last swim. That was my 5th time mermaid swimming.

Add catchan1980 on Facebook
    I badly need to work on my breath holds. Next month, I might take a freediving class so I could learn the basics. Included in the course are meditation and relaxation techniques.

Hi, I'm a guy - not really into "mermanning" myself, but I LOVE freediving, even though I'm only a (total) beginner in terms of frequency of training and experience. As for mermaiding, a freediving course is a great idea, so, Catchan1980, and every one else who said (s)he was going to take a course: have you? If not, just do it!

You'll learn a lot about relaxation, breathing, and especially: safety!

Nicky-Katz already gave a lot of good advice, and Mermaid Melanie too, as well as others. Lately I discovered the site www.seaunseen.com, run by Renee Blundon (and others). Renee freedives herself. You should check the site and her Youtube channel, there's a lot of info / tips on freediving, breathing, etc.
    Renee told me she is going to do a video on how to breathe, the so called "breathe up" preparation before a dive...

Check her out!
    www.seaunseen.com
    and: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNM...stKkG2Q/videos (be sure to read the descriptions below the videos in Youtube, lots of info!)
    Last edited by Mermanjo; 02-20-2015 at 07:13 AM.

Here's Renee Blundon, talking about proper breathe up technique (part 1, relaxation breathing):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNGK...4&spfreload=10

Here's Youbuur, I'm sure you already know him:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/freediveryoubuur/videos
    (The 5-6 most recent videos are about techniques to to hold your breath longer...)

Cheers!

I am up to a minute when I am just going nothing, or about 30 seconds to 45 seconds when swimming.

~*~ To Thine Own Mermaid Be True ~*~
    ~~~ Follow me on Facebook: Merlissa the Mermaid~~~
    Deviant Art Etsy Store YouTube Mermaid Blog Instagram

Just keep practicing!

Renee posted her video about the first part of the freediving breathe up:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNGK...4&spfreload=10

I commented on the video in the comments section below it (on Youtube) with a addition concerning the inhalations and exhalations.

Now Renee is on to part 2 of the breathe up. Wonderful info!

Hope this is helpful!

I'm currently taking the SSI freediving class and I have a 2:30 static and am hoping to work up to 3 minutes for my next goal. There are apps for iphone that can help you practice and get used to O2 and CO2 build up called "tables." Take them slow and don't do them on the same day, but they should help! Before I started the freediving class my longest breath hold was 1:20, so I almost doubled it with just a little practice.