Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: staying warm

staying warm

ok so what does everyone do to stay warm during outdoor dry events? I will be appearing at my local renfair tomorrow as Delilah but it will be too cold for a bra top and will probably rain. I have fibromyalgia so cold and my body dont mix, while people just get cold i get pain. im trying to figure out what to put together that will keep me warm but still look pretty/ mermaidy. i dont have any skin colored fabric .

Hm...a fishnet sort of shawl? or really any shawl, I think, a blue one, maybe. You could look around at thrift/goodwill and see if you can find something warm. I'm not really sure.

a shawl was my first go to but it would still have my stomach bare and id be clinging to it the entire time

You could always just wear a nice jacket and say a nice human gave it to you. I'm not sure, still thinking on it.

sadly cant do that as its a renfaire and modern clothing is a no no

Oh, all right. Dang. It's cold here which is bizarre since it's Florida, but our cold is more like 65 degrees F, lol.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Tula's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Tula On Twitter Add Mermaid Tula on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Tula on Tumblr
    Well if you could find a tunic (ren-faire style) and add some fish net over it, add some shells and such, that might work. Just let anyone who wants to know why you're wearing a shirt is because you're a tropical mermaid and its just a bit chilly where you are ^_^
    Hi! I'm Sam, aka Mermaid Tula, aka Comatose Angel.
    Hey everyone. I just opened my store on Facebook.
    http://www.facebook.com/tulastidepool

Mermaid Tula's Facebook Page

User previously know as "Comatose_Angel"

try and find a 'natural' looking ren jacket - many are fake leather/fur etc. Bundling up in a fluffy jacket would look like you were out of your usual climate like comatose suggested =) or a thick wool tunic/ren jacket and make sure to accessorise it properly. OR you could do something like head to joannes and find a really pretty stretch knit and wrap it around you 'toga'/'grecian' style and secure it with a couple of sea-themed cloak pins. - That way it's wrapped round you so you're not clinging to it and can relax about it =)

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Arella's Avatar
    Follow Arella On Twitter Add Arella on Facebook
    Some kind of fur or false fur wrap? Something patchy or like a green woven shaw? (Green like sea weed)

What about a faux fur blanket or something? Even mermaids get cold.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Here's my tricks lovely lady as a fellow achey breaky mermaid haha

Tights underneath the tail, and maybe thin socks. A blanket with sea weed/netting sewn onto it so it looks more fitting and I wrap it like a shawl. Also, buy some of those little heat things that are one use and go inside mittens, and put them in your bra (seriously) and tail. They're tiny but give off a lot of heat. Take magnesium the night before, sip warm drinks if you can. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    sadly cant do that as its a renfaire and modern clothing is a no no
    a faux fur coat? I had an idea once where I'd be an arctic mermaid with a white fur coat to stay warm in the winter. I'm fairly certain they wore furs in the renaissance era, but I could be wrong. hmm

I definitely agree with the Hot Hand Packets Raina.
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Comatose_Angel View Post
    Well if you could find a tunic (ren-faire style) and add some fish net over it, add some shells and such, that might work. Just let anyone who wants to know why you're wearing a shirt is because you're a tropical mermaid and its just a bit chilly where you are ^_^
    I've seen mers in a tunic with a mermaidy belt/corest and a tail that looked pretty cool and they are crazy warm if you really wanted to wear a top you could find a V necked one.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My heart is pierced by Cupid, I disdain all glittering gold,
    There is nothing that can console me but my jolly sailor bold.
    ~ETSY: Trove by the Sea~Google +~FACEBOOK~
    mermaidmarissa.studios@gmail.com

"Imagine a life of wonder"

Senior Member Pod of Cali spottedcatfish's Avatar
    Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    Follow spottedcatfish on Tumblr Visit spottedcatfish's Youtube Channel
    How about a warm cape, or half cape? you could wrap it around yourself if you get cold to keep your shoulders warm.

Getting nerve pain from the cold is a fibro thing? I get that, and was told I could have fibro years ago but the doctors brushed me off. Maybe I should look into it again, add that symptom to the list.

Anyway, I'm looking for ideas to stay warm and still look mermaidy too. I think staying warm comes with some sacrifices on the whole looking like a mermaid front unfortunately. I've seen people wear their mermaid bras over top of flowy tops, like this: https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...09050244_n.jpg I've also seen tunics and corsets with tails. Maybe if you had the right kind of tunic you could even wear long a thermal top (like under armor) underneath it if it was that cold.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

do you have a yarn or knitted table cloth it would look like an olden sha and some of them are thick

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    The Shipwreck Shawl, if you have time to knit it.

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Oh for sure! I LOVE my Blankie Tails blanket. It is more of a mink fabric but still does the trick. Nice because "Winter is coming"

Name:  Blankie Tails.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  88.9 KB

This is a hoodie that I had for cooler weather until I lost it. It was still modern (made from cotton and had a zipper) but it had a fairy-inspired look to it which gave it that fantasy feel.
    https://www.medievalcollectibles.com...SABEgL6JfD_BwE

As far as the concept of mermaids wearing clothes go, well...
    Name:  mermaids do what they want.png
Views: 229
Size:  175.3 KB
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com