Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Living with mental health issues

Quote Originally Posted by Amphitrite View Post
    My therapists. And no worries. I do too sometimes so ask any questions you need to.
    Do you know anyone else with any brain injuries that you could talk to? might work better.

I do but we're all in very similar situations and often are using the same therapists. Gah. What a mess.

Well at least thats someone you can talk to that can relate to you better. You would think if those therapists see other patents with brain injuries they would understand it more.

I've been struggling with anxiety since the age of 13 (I'm now 19) and only got help with it when I was 17. I know how horrible and heartbreaking it feels to be shamed for something you have no control over. I used to, sometimes still do get worked up over stupid and irrelevant details. I remember as a kid, there was this one restaurant we would go to and as soon as I stepped foot in the door, I would get this overwhelming feeling of panic, like I needed to get the hell out of there because something bad was going to happen. I used to feel panicked if someone looked at me the wrong way or said something in any kind of tone that wasn't happy. An awesome therapist and some meds helped me deal a lot with my feelings and learn better coping skills with a clear head. Although I still do have anxious tendencies every now and then, it is not even comparable to how it used to be. I used to have multiple anxiety attacks on a daily basis, my best way of coping became running away, literally just going somewhere (outside or I walked to the beach) to just breathe and get away from people.
    Mermaid Nessie
    Canadian Mermaids Inc.
    nessiemermaid@gmail.com
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nessiemermaid?ref=hl

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Nessie View Post
    I've been struggling with anxiety since the age of 13 (I'm now 19) and only got help with it when I was 17. I know how horrible and heartbreaking it feels to be shamed for something you have no control over. I used to, sometimes still do get worked up over stupid and irrelevant details. I remember as a kid, there was this one restaurant we would go to and as soon as I stepped foot in the door, I would get this overwhelming feeling of panic, like I needed to get the hell out of there because something bad was going to happen. I used to feel panicked if someone looked at me the wrong way or said something in any kind of tone that wasn't happy. An awesome therapist and some meds helped me deal a lot with my feelings and learn better coping skills with a clear head. Although I still do have anxious tendencies every now and then, it is not even comparable to how it used to be. I used to have multiple anxiety attacks on a daily basis, my best way of coping became running away, literally just going somewhere (outside or I walked to the beach) to just breathe and get away from people.
    I once hid in my friends closet during an anxiety attack.

Nessie that sounds rough. I'm glad you are finding ways to help yourself with it. I used to have panic attacks but I chose numbness (of a sort) to deal with it. I don't get them any more but I often cry and become anxious and overwhelmed during nights. I'm wondering to myself if I should use my therapy light for fifteen minutes or so at night to help with that, but... I don't know. I just know that it is more difficult at night and I am losing. Not suicidal or anything just really... really upset. I like talking to people on here because I can be open and feel 'safe'. I try talking to Mom but she just says some platitudes which are very true but don't really... help (although I feel they should! ) and the therapists are like 'just get over it.' The main reason I am here is not that I think I'll ever get a tail (trying to be honest) but because it's fun to see other peoples' dreams. Thanks to all the wonderful people here and on fb!

If you have a light might as well use it. I love my mom. She is very supportive when I need her, even though I tend not to because I don't want to make her worry. You know there are usually 3-5 of us online about this time of night you could always hop into the chatbox and chat. Only members can see it and the text disappears after an hour so that helps with privacy.

So this isn't a mental health issue itself but it came up while I was meeting my councilor today. I told her about mermaiding because I was telling her how I was finally socializing with people with common interests. She didn't know what it was so I cover why people are mers, what they do, how they make or buy tails, its not we all believe mermaids exist but we are or have interests in being merpeople for different reasons. Her response: "Thats on the south side of crazy."

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Nice way to be judgemental. Yeesh!

Just remember, someone had to graduate at the bottom of the counselor class.

Yes because we all know it's crazy to live our dream while making children's dreams come true as well! Lol but in all seriousness as your counselor she should have been supportive of it rather than saying thay, if it helps you then why say it's crazy? It's not like you're doing anything bad!
    Formerly known as Savannah Staver

My therapist loved the mermaid stuff. As soon as I started mermaiding she told me she had seen such a positive change in me. Honestly, mermaiding has helped me cope a lot!
    Mermaid Nessie
    Canadian Mermaids Inc.
    nessiemermaid@gmail.com
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nessiemermaid?ref=hl

Sorry to hear that Flyer. I just kept mentioning it around the theme of 'what makes you happy/ect' and my therapist got on board. I hope you are able to do something similar. And if not you ALWAYS have us!

Sirenia I like how you put that. It's really a gorgeous thing that people here do.

Nessie I find that inspirational. I feel like that with swimming and that's why I want to be here. I've heard comments of people seeing mers as strong and other-worldly (I think is the term) and I want to see that in myself.

Sorry to hear that Flyer. I just kept mentioning it around the theme of 'what makes you happy/ect' and my therapist got on board. I hope you are able to do something similar. And if not you ALWAYS have us!

Sirenia I like how you put that. It's really a gorgeous thing that people here do.

Nessie I find that inspirational. I feel like that with swimming and that's why I want to be here. I've heard comments of people seeing mers as strong and other-worldly (I think is the term) and I want to see that in myself.
    Its ok. She knows I'm weird. My Pilates instructor loves it.

It is weird and uncomfortable (but also cool) that non-therapists sometimes 'get it' more than the people who are book-trained do. Seems it takes off the pressure for me when I find someone I feel is relatable. Logically I should feel therapists are more... relateable because they have been trained to deal with certain situations but the idea that the ones I find most often rely more on their books to 'help me than what I tell them I need is really unsettling especially when they treat me as if my social skills are lacking even though I have done so much interacting with friends family and complete strangers. I am trying to work on it but I feel the only person who is looking out for me is me. Sorry. Rant-y

It is weird and uncomfortable (but also cool) that non-therapists sometimes 'get it' more than the people who are book-trained do. Seems it takes off the pressure for me when I find someone I feel is relatable. Logically I should feel therapists are more... relateable because they have been trained to deal with certain situations but the idea that the ones I find most often rely more on their books to 'help me than what I tell them I need is really unsettling especially when they treat me as if my social skills are lacking even though I have done so much interacting with friends family and complete strangers. I am trying to work on it but I feel the only person who is looking out for me is me. Sorry. Rant-y
    I think its hard for a therapist to relate to some things, such as us being menfolk or having a panic attack while driving because there are too many cars on a residental street (happened to me), or a brain injury, or anything else.

Yeah. I feel stressed out every day and It is wearing.

Yeah. I feel stressed out every day and It is wearing.
    Need a duck? We have free ducks. Cats are awesome but not willing to part with them.

Awww thank-you! I had two cats and then fish but cannnot have pets here even but I find them very therapeutic. I really want a Teddy bear but I am told I am 'too old' for that.

Awww thank-you! I had two cats and then fish but cannnot have pets here even but I find them very therapeutic. I really want a Teddy bear but I am told I am 'too old' for that.
    Phh your not too old for a teddy bear...i two teddy bears (though I like the older one more than the newer one) and I'm a guy. Even carried one around campus and at graduation when my friend graduated from college because I was so sad.
    Maybe you could ask your therapist for an emotional support pet? When I move out my therapist and my pshyciotist both say they will do the paper work for me to have an emotional support cat.

Seconding Flyer, you're never too old for a teddy! I have a big stuffed moose named Marvin that I've had for... Eleven years now? I still sleep with him every night— my boyfriend, who I live with, is used to it. :P Marvin helps me a lot with my anxiety and depression and I find it hard to sleep without him now... I'm 24. XD