Thread: Using Alex PLus

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

Using Alex PLus

It would be really great if we could move over this thread I think it has some good info for people considering alex http://mer.yuku.com/topic/413/Using-ALEX-for-tails

I also wanted to say, I put alex in my fluke to make it stiff. I put a small amount, smoothed it out and left it to dry. 45 days later it felt stiff and I assumed it dry. Not the case when I went swimming and it all came out in a cloud. I managed to really clean myself off well instantly, and when I did a shoot today I rinsed and rinsed the inside of the tail prior to use.

Well, I still got alex plus on my skin on my feet and now Im having a reaction. So dont get that stuff on your skin and be super sure when you use it you allow it all the time it needs to dry- and then some.

I've been meaning to archive it, there's just so much to do here lately, and archiving isn't quick. I swear I have a list of stuff I need to move over.

I don't think I've heard of anyone actually getting that stuff to dry inside their tail. I don't think there is enough air exposure to get that stuff to cure completely. Not only that but it coming out in the water can be harmful to the water AND you. I'd say you had a pretty bad reaction judging from your post. Shelly also said she had a reaction and was sick for a day.

I think we need to look for something different to keep our flukes from filling up with water and/or air. I really just don't think filling them with ALEX works, and can be harmful in these instances.

Can you use ALEX to fix tail tears and stretching repairs?
    ~A mermaid found a swimming lad, picked him for her own, pressed her body to his body,and made the sea their home~

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Odette View Post
    Can you use ALEX to fix tail tears and stretching repairs?
    Our tails were not made with ALEX. I was told online by Selene that it looks like latex, but told by some people who saw it IRL that it's doesn't look like latex, or if it is it's a low quality kind. At this point I'm going to try and fix mine with latex either way, as I know that my green tail is made with ALEX and it feels completely different. See this thread (I swear I'll move it over some day haha) for more information. And it's gotten worse since then.. most recent picture here. I was told latex dries very quickly so I can do multiple layers. I think I might have to be wearing it while I repair it, but I guess i'll see what works when I get to that point.

i used alex for test pieces and its NOT that bad. THIN layers. over and over,k? then wait till its tacky and you cant pinch it off. its sticky rubbery.i put it in the water and yes it makes it look cloudy if you dont paint over it, but goes back to normal once the neoprene dries. alex sticks to alex and shoudnt be used on anything other than more alex. bonne chance
    come find Mermaid-Odette on facebook!
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

when it's cloudy it's still toxic.

My tail is alex, alex is the ONLY THING that bonds to it. If you try using a diff latex or silicone like I did- you end up with stuff not so good. It doesnt bond and warps

Howabouts we STOP using Alex?.

I'm curious, Neotail, if we stop using ALEX, what would you suggest we use instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lorelei View Post
    I'm curious, Neotail, if we stop using ALEX, what would you suggest we use instead?
    liquid latex
    There lays a lovely maiden combing her long hair

Quote Originally Posted by Neotail View Post
    Howabouts we STOP using Alex?.
    Neotail I can't help but notice that you keep coming on and bashing the Alex material and saying you'd never use it and you use latex for your tails and all that, yet you never give any information on it so we can "stop using Alex". Did that on the other forum too. Getting kinda annoying. Yea it's not the best stuff, but it's not like anyone is posting infos or howtos on using latex either. People are using what they know works and what they know how to use from posts on here. If you know so much and want people to change, put up info wise or shut up.

well thats interesting.then im at loss for now. =( hope your tail feels better soon.

i wanna use MARINE SILICONE!! was made for the water and i mean the kind they use in aquariums.
    come find Mermaid-Odette on facebook!
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

Quote Originally Posted by Odette View Post
    well thats interesting.then im at loss for now. =( hope your tail feels better soon.

i wanna use MARINE SILICONE!! was made for the water and i mean the kind they use in aquariums.
    how much is that and have other people used it before ??

I have no choice but to use alex plus on the outside of my current tail because it's the only thing that bonds to it. I bought expensive latex and it didnt bond. when Raven fixed it she needed to use alex plus.

I dont like alex plus at all because Im basically afraid of it- but Im stuck with it til the new tail.

Yeah there isnt much info or tutorials on anything other than ALEX plus :[
    I wanna use the best thing I can but not all of us are able to buy big and expensive stuff and its not even available in the country i reside in :[

I'm all for step-by-step tutorials but if there is none that use materials other than ALEX, there isnt much we can do but keep using ALEX until there is a sure fire way to make realistic tail on our own without fail.

@MermaidAubrin: Marine silicone can't be painted, and I'm assuming that's why people haven't used it. Also, since people normally use it to glue acrylic sheets together to make fish tanks, I'd imagine that it'd only come in small-ish quantities and would be quite pricey (since they wouldn't expect people to buy in bulk).

@Neotail: Raina said that ALEX is the only thing that bonds to her ALEX tail. Putting latex on it would possibly mess up the tail even more. Are you suggesting throwing those tails away?
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Quote Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
    @MermaidAubrin: Marine silicone can't be painted, and I'm assuming that's why people haven't used it. Also, since people normally use it to glue acrylic sheets together to make fish tanks, I'd imagine that it'd only come in small-ish quantities and would be quite pricey (since they wouldn't expect people to buy in bulk).

@Neotail: Raina said that ALEX is the only thing that bonds to her ALEX tail. Putting latex on it would possibly mess up the tail even more. Are you suggesting throwing those tails away?
    yeah i looked it up and 3 oz is 7.29

Quote Originally Posted by mikamer View Post
    Neotail I can't help but notice that you keep coming on and bashing the Alex material and saying you'd never use it and you use latex for your tails and all that, yet you never give any information on it so we can "stop using Alex". Did that on the other forum too. Getting kinda annoying. Yea it's not the best stuff, but it's not like anyone is posting infos or howtos on using latex either. People are using what they know works and what they know how to use from posts on here. If you know so much and want people to change, put up info wise or shut up.
    'mikamer': Please dont be rude there is no need for it, this is a place of positive energy, Im sure there are other places you can address issues by telling others to 'shut up'. I respect what you are saying and what you are trying to get across so I will stop telling people the dangers of Alex and that it is bad. If anyone would like to make an Alex tail, go ahead why not? I think it's just me and Winged Mermaid really want this Alex phase to be over. At some point I have come across rude and I apologise for that, it will not happen again. Also I have put up info on a few other post's regarding Latex tail making and have let Mer's know that they can PM me if they need any advise or tips/help on making a Latex tail's.
    Last edited by inactive account; 08-29-2011 at 08:48 PM.