Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Share your mermaid hair pics!

Share your mermaid hair pics!

There have been a couple threads about mermaid hair and swimming and stuff, but I'm pretty sure there isn't yet one where we can all share pics of our hair like the ones where we can share our tails or tail designs. So let's all show off our hair! Long or short, colored or embellished or not, I'm sure we all have lovely, unique mermaid hair that we can be proud of I've been growing my hair out for some years now, and I usually keep it braided and pinned back to keep it protected and out of the way, but sometimes I let it down to show it off a bit. Here's a quick picture I got of it yesterday. I'm pretty sure this is the longest it has ever been.

Name:  mermaid hair.jpg
Views: 2296
Size:  193.9 KB

I want to see pictures of everyone's mer-hair!
    Last edited by Theobromine; 05-28-2013 at 01:35 AM. Reason: attachment fail

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Mine looks very similar. A tad longer, less curly, and a shade lighter, I'd say.

Swimming with it is annoying though; I'm wearing caps now all the time (and my hair doesn't seem to like it )
    I also think my natural hair colour doesn't look very aquatic, so I now use wigs and stuff which look so much better

Post a picture! I'm sure your hair is beautiful.

Haha my hair is not curly at all. It's actually bone straight, I'd literally just taken it out of a braid for that picture.

I wish I had hair like this! My hair just won't grow! After one year it has grown one inch O_O I have really thin hair and it splits on every 2 weeks...urgh -_-"

Ta-da! I have fairly short hair. It used to be a lot longer though, but I cut it off because I hated having long hair. My family wouldn't let me do it for the longest time. xD

That was like...two years ago? Maybe three.
    In a way I kinda miss long hair but I hated the maintenance and upkeep. It looked horrid all the time unless I spent ages working with it. xD

Senior Member Pod of The South WavyMermaidy's Avatar
    Emma I think your hair is totally cute

Emma, your hair is really cute! Ariel, if you wanna grow long hair, maybe we could also turn this into a bit of a haircare tips-sharing thread? I've definitely picked up a few good ideas through my quest for butt-length hair. The main thing is to protect it. The more it gets caught or tangled in things, the more damaged and split and dried out it gets. It wasn't until I started wearing my hair in a braid all the time (which protects it from a lot of snagging and tangling and rubbing) that I started REALLY noticing a lot of hair growth. Also, don't ever ever use heat to style it! Treat it very delicately and it will reward you Also don't believe that old wives' tale about having to trim your hair every month or it won't grow. That's hogwash. Hair is dead tissue and chopping off the ends does nothing to stimulate the roots. I ONLY ever trim my hair when the ends have a lot of splits in them, and ONLY enough to get the most splits out. I rarely trim it more than once every several months. I also just started using only conditioner to wash my hair (no shampoo, it dries your hair out!) and it works great. My hair is really smooth and shiny. Also...pure coconut oil! Best hair moisturizer ever!

I just got a hair-cut, so it's two inches shorter now, but here's my favorite from March-ish!
    Name:  hair2.jpg
Views: 1686
Size:  35.7 KB

Wow, Hales, you have crazy long hair. xD It's SUPER pretty though! <3

And thanks, both of you. I'm really actually pretty happy with my hair as it is now. The main attention I get from it in public is from older women and little kids. xD

I'm going natural so i've just been wearing protective hair styles lately. My hair goes to a bit below my shoulder (i'd say almost touching my armpit)
    This is the way i got my hair braided for the mermaid meet up, those little balls in the center are actually bantu knots so when i take them down, my hair will be really curly , also, it's braided in a mohawk)

My webcam is pretty crappy but that's my horrible mermaid hair for ya to see. xD

Edit: Did the link wrong, oops.

you all have lucious locks. I love all the unique textures. So pretty! I just colored my hair on sunday. Mermaid hair, Dont care! ;0 :PName:  izosqd.jpg
Views: 1669
Size:  307.1 KB

Senior Member Pod of New England MerMarla's Avatar
    I like the idea to share long hair care! Here's mine... I don't typically wash mine daily, but only when my scalp needs it. Like sweaty from riding my horses, or exercising at the gym. If I go straight to the pool after a yoga or exercise class, then I only use the shampoo for removing chlorine. I use lots of conditioner, and will put it in my hair after I wet and wring it out, then put on the conditioner, and then my Speedo swim cap. I don't want to get thrown out of the pool for leaving a trail of olive oil or conditioner on the surface. I will try to get a pix soon. Love the different hair styles, and even colors (hubby won't let me dye my hair, but I could use a wig and dye some of that!

On cuts and trims... because I don't want my hair longer than waist length and love the straight across evenness, I get mine trimmed quarterly. That's worked for me for years. Some ppl with finer hair may have to slightly trim (1/4 inch) every 2 months, but that's not a hardship. I also have the base undercut about 1/4 - 1/3 inch, so it has some ability to lay with slight curl under, and curl is barely what happens, LOL! I went to Sally's to try their Ion products for Shampoo and Conditioner. Shampoo seems to be ok, but jury is still out on the Conditioner, not sure if there is a better product out there...

Any Conditioner brand suggestions?

(((HUGz))) and Bubble 'z
    Mermaid Marla

@ Theobromine... I love the wave, I do mine in wet braid and let it dry, comes out like yours then goes bone straight! If I let mine get much longer than just below my waist, it tangles to easy in just daily routines. I ride horses, and have to braid mine too, or wear a net to contain it. Especially in shows. And the "helmet head" sweaty hair is Ugg! So getting the sweat and oils out for me is a good thing.

@ Hales... I think mine is about like yours, Yours is so lovely in the water!

@ Draggersprez... I had my hair done in corn rows once! Hurt like crazy, but relaxed after while! I love the Mohawk Bantu knots, they really make the do!

@ MerEmma... I could only wish for beautiful curl like yours, I try and try, but the best I can do is wave, after braiding it wet, letting it dry overnite. My hair is waist length, has been for many years. I did have a Big Hair done years ago, and it stood out about 4-5 inches from my scalp with lots of hair spray! Never again! LOL
    Once a Mermaid, always a mermaid!
    Weeki Wachee Springs - 1969-1972

Marla, my current favorite conditioner is the Trader Joe's brand tea tree conditioner (their other conditioners are good too). It's really nice and slippery/silky, goes a long way, and isn't too expensive. Much cheaper than other nice conditioners such as what you would find at Whole Foods or something.

Senior Member Pod of New England MerMarla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Theobromine View Post
    Marla, my current favorite conditioner is the Trader Joe's brand tea tree conditioner (their other conditioners are good too). It's really nice and slippery/silky, goes a long way, and isn't too expensive. Much cheaper than other nice conditioners such as what you would find at Whole Foods or something.
    Ooooh thank you Theobromine, I have a Trader Joes we frequent about 20 minutes from the house! And I love tea tree shampoo, too! Its the best for scalp and hair care!
    Mermaid Marla
    Once a Mermaid, always a mermaid!
    Weeki Wachee Springs - 1969-1972

What do you do when the oil crisis could pretty much be solved by fracking your hair? >.< Surely you'd need shampoo?
    Feel free to friend me on Facebook

Senior Member Pod of The South WavyMermaidy's Avatar
    LOVE seeing everyone's hair Here's mine:

This is one where my curls are being pretty curly Name:  pic 1.JPG
Views: 1639
Size:  28.2 KB

This one was a good hair day but more like typical...some combo of waves and curls. It hangs about mid-back level at its longest layer and down to about my tailbone when it is wet Name:  pic 2.JPG
Views: 1635
Size:  22.8 KB

As far as managing it (since it has been suggested to put hair care info on this thread!), it is pretty dry naturally, especially the ends, so I micro-trim it often. I do a low-poo routine (very little shampoo, and what I do use has no sulfates in it) and lots of conditioner (without silicones, etc). I usually just wash with conditioner, and then put leave-in and a cream-gel or coconut oil or something in it. Then I put it up in an old t-shirt to soak up the initial water and then let it dry naturally (usually overnight). I take lots of conditioner (leave-in or anything I have around) when I go swimming and put it in after rinsing my hair (or also before swimming if going into chlorine). I also have a sun protectant spray that I use if I'm going to be out in the sun (it's hard for me to wear hats or put my hair up due to headaches).

As for brands, I go back and forth between things. I LOVE the Renpure line of conditioners but they are harder to find (they used to be at Walgreens and Winn Dixie in our neck of the woods)...but you can get them on Amazon and the like. Right now I'm using the Beautiful Curls brand for conditioner and leave-in and the Tints of Nature sun protectant spray.

Speaking of tints, I do color a little bit to my natural shade of darkish brownish auburnish...I use the Tints of Nature brand color every couple of months, just started not long ago, mostly because since my ends are dry they tend to be lighter than my roots which I personally hate (at least on me I hate it). I do have some early grays too (blargh!) which I don't really mind except that it seems to dull my hair out a little. The color is technically permanent but doesn't have any ammonias and junk so it really lasts more like a demi-permanent...just eventually fades out...which is kinda nice because I never get any funky roots before recoloring.

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    My current mermaid hair is my favorite so far.....
    Name:  2013-05-28 18.05.42.jpg
Views: 1536
Size:  128.3 KB
    Eventually I want it to be super long with teal tips, like in my avatar.
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Loving the bright colors dyed in! I'm considering getting some subtle green lowlights scattered throughout my hair... My mom-in-law might literally faint, though :/
    Also known as Salina Tideglow