Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Share your mermaid hair pics!

Here's my merhair (Sorry for the bad pictures / lack of makeup and style...they were just taken out of the blue, and in one I had been working outside in a tank top ).
    Name:  merhair .jpg
Views: 911
Size:  76.5 KB
    Name:  merhair2.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  114.9 KB

It's dyed a reddish brown and I love it when it's this color, because the red shows up in sunlight. It's naturally a dirty dishwater blonde. I want to grow it down to the middle of my back!

PFFF you don't need makeup! I don't know why people always say that. You look beautiful as you are!

Name:  redhair.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  40.6 KB

I took this picture just a while ago to show my aunt after I redyed my hair. Seems like the re-occurring trend here for the most part is red hair. :P Unfortunately most of the red tones dont show. Its very vibrant in the sun though . I'm surprised the military lets me get away with it dying it this color. :O

Name:  945675_364170710350582_1596839307_n.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  55.7 KB

That was after a swim at the beach. Haha Yay. I dye mine red, not gonna claim that colour to be natural. :-P

This is my natural hair:
    Name:  941969_362229113878075_712658771_n.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  45.6 KB
    *bubbles*
    Mermaid Kalliope

Live long and swim free!

deviantART
    Facebook page

Which I'm debating going back to. ><
    *bubbles*
    Mermaid Kalliope

Live long and swim free!

deviantART
    Facebook page

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleTreasure View Post
    Sorry for the bad pictures / lack of makeup and style...
    I never put on makeup. Not even for professional photos!
    Firstly, I'm wet most of the time (swimming twice per day at least); secondly, I think makeup is somehow...dishonest.
    While in some cases it does indeed enhance the looks, just as many people look good either way, or even better without

Anyway, finally got around to upload my crappy photo.
    Hair was still wet (and very creased from having been bunched under a tight cap)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hey, now, some of us wear makeup as an artistic statement XP Looking like gahtdamned Cleopatra for the win! Plus, my foundation doubles as sunscreen
    Feel free to friend me on Facebook

I think makeup just shows the best looking version of my face, haha - since I hate my blemishes and dark circles. As long as I go for the no-makeup look. Otherwise I guess it is an artistic statement.

Haha, yeah, I see no reason to scare small children with giant acne scabs XD
    Feel free to friend me on Facebook

all those long locks <3 What do you mermaids 'do' to get suck long hair? My hair is ultra thin (my original haircolor is blonde) and the ends split very easely. every tree months cut off the tips of my hair (splitted ends) I also use conditioner to feed it and keep the color vibrant. But my hair WONT grow!!

I'm lucky, the native american blood in me makes my hair grow super fast! My hair was shoulder length not too long ago, as I had cut off about a foot and a half and donated it. I guess my only advice is that you have to let the ends be split if you want it to grow. Then when its a little past your desired length, trim it and you can maintain your hair that length for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariel Starfish View Post
    all those long locks <3 What do you mermaids 'do' to get suck long hair? My hair is ultra thin (my original haircolor is blonde) and the ends split very easely. every tree months cut off the tips of my hair (splitted ends) I also use conditioner to feed it and keep the color vibrant. But my hair WONT grow!!
    I mean 100% no offense by my following statement:

1. Improve health
    ·Eat better
    ·Exercise more (improves blood flow)
    ·Make sure you're getting the essential vitamins for YOUR body

2. Fish oil can help. We recommend it for pet owners whose pets have dry, damage or patchy hair.
    ·It will improve your scalp health
    ·It may improve hair strength

3. Check your shampoo and conditioner.
    ·Too many chemicals can damage your hair after prolonged use.
    ·You may be allergic to them and not even know. (Does your scalp itch or "break out" after washing?)
    ·Get the right type for your hair (Don't get stuff that is for people with thick curly hair if your hair is straight and thin, vice versus.)

4. Check your family tree
    ·How many people in your family have long thick hair?
    ·How many have thin frizzy hair?
    ·Does someone have thin hair, but a lot if it?
    ·How many members have premature thinning or balding?

5. Maintainence
    ·Do you brush your hair from bottom to top to prevent breakage or do you just rip right through it?
    ·Do you have the right brush for your hair type?
    ·Are you using combs?
    ·Are you using proper care after dying it? (If applicable)
    ·Are you getting trims to keep your ends from splitting more?

6. Massage your scalp (I've heard this helps)

Hope that helps! Sorry it's so long!
    Last edited by Mermaid Kalliope; 05-31-2013 at 06:03 PM. Reason: forgot something

I have tailbone length hair but it has taken me quite a few years to grow it and find the right hair products and routine that works for me. I suggest strongly that you join longhaircommunity.com, as they have all the information you could possibly want on hair and more. I lurked around there a lot for quite a number of months trying different things, including methods of washing hair that don't use shampoo (I am back to using shampoo a couple times a week now, I think my hair just likes it better and it is easier to comb through and I get less shedding when I shampoo it, so shampoo it is!). What really helped me was finding the right comb for me and just learning about my hair type and how to take care of it in general, as well as investing in a good hair vitamin and using extra virgin olive oil on the lengths and ends to moisturise them, otherwise they are nice and crispy and split a lot. The bottom half of my hair has been chemically dyed in the past. (I stopped that habit because I wanted long hair and started just using veggie dyes instead and went green, which I have to top up every two weeks) The chemically dyed hair isn't in top condition but I trim it a little once every few months and it is ok. I never thought my hair would ever grow past bra-strap length but here it is at tailbone and still growing! I have very fine, thin blonde hair a lot like yours and honestly if I can do it you can too! Good luck

Senior Member Pod of the Midwest Goldie's Avatar
    <---{Blushes} It is totally past time for me to do my roots again lol

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    all those long locks <3 What do you mermaids 'do' to get such long hair?
    My hair grows very slowly, so my rule number one is; don't cut it! Except for the split ends.
    I cut those regularly, and by that I mean: I sort them out, hair by hair, and cut only split ends
    Depending how bad the split is, that may take a few hours lol.

Don't wash your hair too often (stress for the hair), don't blowdry it ever if you can, don't rub it with towels.
    Brush only very gently from bottom to top.
    Don't dye, don't put in conditioner/spray/stuff.

That's basically what I do, and I barely have split ends.
    It's a bit worse now that I swim so often due to the bunching under caps

Caps are bad for hair too, but chlorine is even worse, so meh.

Quote Originally Posted by caltuna View Post
    My hair grows very slowly, so my rule number one is; don't cut it! Except for the split ends.
    I cut those regularly, and by that I mean: I sort them out, hair by hair, and cut only split ends
    Depending how bad the split is, that may take a few hours lol.

Don't wash your hair too often (stress for the hair), don't blowdry it ever if you can, don't rub it with towels.
    Brush only very gently from bottom to top.
    Don't dye, don't put in conditioner/spray/stuff.

That's basically what I do, and I barely have split ends.
    It's a bit worse now that I swim so often due to the bunching under caps

Caps are bad for hair too, but chlorine is even worse, so meh.

My hair is really thin, i color it every 3-4 weeks and i use conditioner once a week becouse I go swimming alot. (otherwise my hair gets tangled alot and can't brush it out)

I only cutt off the split ends of my hair; But still... at the end of the year my hair has grown one inch o_0

Senior Member Pod of The South WavyMermaidy's Avatar
    I noticed Aino mentioned a good hair vitamin, and I just want to put out a bit of a warning on this. It's probably a rare-ish occurrence, but I tried taking Biotin (which is supposed to be excellent for hair and nails) a couple of years ago. However, I have migraines and taking the Biotin actually triggered a weird migraine - I didn't have auras in my regular migraines and after taking the biotin I did...thought I was having a stroke or had a brain tumor - it was really scary.

So just FYI, if you already have migraines be careful about taking Biotin as it may trigger migraines in those already with the disorder.

I just had to cut 3 inches off from dead hair :< Tried to do an undercolor, had to bleach it first and now a year later my hair is still really crunchy and damaged on the underlayer. Only let pros touch your hair with chemicals, especially if you've got natural curls.
    Pic is from when the dye was fresh. Now I'm trying to grow out my bangs and the bleach.
    Name:  003-5.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  88.0 KB

Senior Member Pod of New England MerMarla's Avatar
    Here's me and my tresses!

Name:  Me and hair.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  167.0 KB

I only wash my hair when it needs it, maybe twice a week. I brush it snag free before washing. I use a tea tree oil shampoo, but only enough to clean at the scalp. Then use a cream rinse twice. Once to make sure the hair has been well coated, then I rinse it, running my fingers from scalp to ends separating the hair in about one inch "strips" using the force of the shower to help separate each strip. Then I re-condition, gently, so as not to tangle what I just separated, usually only the last 6-8 inches or so. Then I leave this in for the rest of my shower. Sometimes twist-twirling it back up on top of my head, then using a shower cap to contain it. Once done with all the other stuff (shaving, body conditioner....) I remove my hair from the cap and gently rinse out the rest of the conditioner. I get my hair trimmed quarterly. My hairdresser constantly comments that I have no gray... Hahaha, its there but not really obvious! Not bad for 60 years old!

(((Hugz))) and Bubble 'z
    Mermaid Marla
    Once a Mermaid, always a mermaid!
    Weeki Wachee Springs - 1969-1972

Senior Member Pod of The South MermaidHyli's Avatar
    Add MermaidHyli on Facebook
    All natural redhead =]
    Name:  302041_489846874414038_327073719_n.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  139.7 KB
    Name:  528227_489491761116216_72110695_n.jpg
Views: 925