Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Share your mermaid hair pics!

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Caidence's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Caidence's Youtube Channel
    I just have blonde hair.

Now I have a bangs going on.
    Formerly known as Mermaid Serinessa

Super pretty blond hair, though. I like that braid. I'm seeing a lot of cool styles here.

Quote Originally Posted by draggersprez View Post

I'm going natural so i've just been wearing protective hair styles lately. My hair goes to a bit below my shoulder (i'd say almost touching my armpit)
    This is the way i got my hair braided for the mermaid meet up, those little balls in the center are actually bantu knots so when i take them down, my hair will be really curly , also, it's braided in a mohawk)
    Your hair is really cool... It fits the mermaid thing because it looks like spines
    That awkward moment when someone says mermaids aren't real... And I'm standing right next to them...

<3 I also go by
    Mermaid Myra as that is my business persona

<strike>
    </strike>

Check out my new Instagram page! <3
    https://www.instagram.com/mermaidmyraofficial/

Come visit me on FaceBook!
    https://www.facebook.com/mermaidmyra/

Swim by my YouTube channel!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb7...J8Shs1b10Psjrg

~Formerly known as "Mermaid Nerin"~

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Serinessa View Post
    I just have blonde hair.

Now I have a bangs going on.
    your hair looks great with bangs Caitey!
    That awkward moment when someone says mermaids aren't real... And I'm standing right next to them...

<3 I also go by
    Mermaid Myra as that is my business persona

<strike>
    </strike>

Check out my new Instagram page! <3
    https://www.instagram.com/mermaidmyraofficial/

Come visit me on FaceBook!
    https://www.facebook.com/mermaidmyra/

Swim by my YouTube channel!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb7...J8Shs1b10Psjrg

~Formerly known as "Mermaid Nerin"~

Junior Member Rocky Mountain Pod triteia's Avatar

Follow triteia on Tumblr
    Name:  425214_419390311501422_2090816752_n.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  38.5 KB
    This is my hair, currently :3

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Caidence's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Caidence's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by triteia View Post
    Name:  425214_419390311501422_2090816752_n.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  38.5 KB
    This is my hair, currently :3
    That looks awesome! Maybe one day I'll dye some of my hair.
    Formerly known as Mermaid Serinessa

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Some growth tips:

I drink a spoonful of gelatin in a mug of hot beef broth at night before bed. Dissolve the gelatin in a bit of cold water while the broth's heating. Gelatin stimulates hair, skin, and nail growth. My nails usually break easily; now they're strong and shiny

Search-and-destroy method of trimming for dead ends. It satisfies my love of cutting hair (no, seriously, I have to really restrain myself from giving myself bad haircuts) and keeps the damaged ends from screwing up all my hair without sacrificing length really. I do a bit every day, since it's so tedious on my EXTREMELY chemically-damaged ends.

Natural Boar-bristle brush. It's the ONLY kind I use. It's the most gentle brush on my weak-ass hair, distributes scalp oils to dry ends, and massages the scalp for better circulation and growth. They're pretty cheap too. Regardless of the type of brush/comb, you should be washing it regularly - if not every night, then AT LEAST weekly, so you're not just smearing oils and dead skin cells all over your head. Same goes for makeup brushes. Always dry face-down on a towel.

Combs - mostly wide-toothed, and seam-free (if a comb has seams in the part where your hair goes through, sand them off! They will snag/break hair). Never brush wet hair, and only use a wide-tooth comb gently on damp hair. Treat your hair like delicate lace - DON'T just run things through your hair all haphazardly! You should not be breaking hairs with every brush. When I reach a stubborn tangle, I mess with it with my fingers. It usually comes apart a lot easier and with less breakage than if I comb/brush it.

Massage your scalp! I like to spray on a refreshing hair tonic I make to stimulate growth and soothe scalp, then massage my scalp. If your head is upside-down it works better, as you're increasing circulation. Circulation = growth!

Speaking of circulation - regular exercise. Deep breathing. You'd be surprised at how many problems in our bodies are caused by chronic lack of oxygen. Breathe deeply (seeking peace, LOL), purposefully, and calmly, and every system in your body gets more oxygen, which is pretty much what everything needs to function/produce new cells).

I shouldn't have to say this here, but drink water :P

Wear your hair up in a braid whenever possible. Now that my hair's long enough, it's usually in a braid or bun. More protection from the elements (and less closing my hair in car windows/doors LOL)! That's not to say NEVER wear your hair down! I just usually keep it safe most days when I'm doing my regular-day stuff.

Vinegar (especially ACV, I use Bragg's) gets rid of build-up and returns the proper PH levels to hair and scalp, and also makes it super-shiny! Mostly if you use raw ACV, but I've used others in a pinch.

Be very careful about hairties. Even my "No-snag" elastics DO snag, because they have the melty plastic bit where a metal bit would be. I like those soft ribbed elastics from the '90s, or scrunchies. I also crochet around regular elastics to make my own scrunchies.

Umm... watch how hard your bf grabs your hair LOL - Mine did it in the moment the other day when it was up in double buns, and when I took them out, found a while clump of split/broken ends right on the top front of my face in a little poofball... At least he was very sorry, since he knew I've been growing it out for months.

No towels on my hair. I wring it out gently with my hands in the shower, pat with a towel just to get the major globs of water, then I stick my head through the neckhole of a t-shirt, put all my hair in there, andwrap it up like a turbie twist and tuck the end under in the back. Works great and is more gentle.

Satin pillowcase are best, since they're smooth Sleeping with hair in a braid is the best bet, and if you use a parandi it leaves the most memaid-y of waved hair in the morning

I agree with everyone who says to use coconut oil. Hair conditioner and body oil, it can't be beat for moisturizing! (apparently not on your face, though, as it is a comedogenic oil, along with olive oil)

Wash hair as little as you feel like. Sometimes for me it's every couple of days when I'm getting sweaty/grimy/swimming, sometime I'll do it once a week. Sometimes I do it even less, depending on where I am, what the weather's like, how my scalp's doing, etc. I find that my hair doesn't look so greasy any more when I don't wash it for long periods than when I first switched from constant washing. I just started washing once a week, with occasional water rinses, and it took a while for my oil production to level out. Also, boar bristle brushes help keep your hair from looking like an oil slick :P

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

I hennaed my hair last night, and ERMAHGERD how pretty!!!!!!!
    Feel free to friend me on Facebook

I've always wanted to try henna, how's it look? I bet it's super-shiny too

TwitterFacebookInstagram

Those are some great tips, Moonlight! And Kakarotte, post a picture!! I henna my hair too, I love to see how it looks on other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Avalon View Post
    oh my goodness, all of you are so beautiful! merEmma-- you are so adorable, I can't even get over it!
    here is mine..

Attachment 11642

Attachment 11643

Attachment 11644

Attachment 11645

Attachment 11646

Attachment 11647

Attachment 11648

soooo....clearly, I am into hair I post on The Long Hair Loom (google it!) hair care forum and I get a lot of great advice there. I also use hairforks, which are a great accessory for longer hair and mermaids, too! They look really beautiful....here's a photo of some that I use on mermaid gigs..

Attachment 11649

I buy them on etsy (grah toe studios) and they are worth the investment.

Thanks for starting this thread!
    Ahhh, thank you! :P I just want to say that bangs really, really suit your face. Your hair is such a nice shade of blonde, as well<3

I'm loving everyone's hair! xD

I need a decent picture! My stupid color-filtering phone camera doesn't do it justice. It's really pretty. It's the color of milk chocolate brownies.

Haha thanks, I finally decided to grow out my hair and found the Long Hair forum, which really gave me a lot of help with my thin hair - I have a lot of it, it's just really fine, so I really do have to treat it like handknit lace :P But by following a careful regimen (plus taking hair/skin/nails vitamins occasionally), I've managed to grow quite a bit of length in the past six months

Mermaid Avalon - Ooh, I love you hair forks/sticks! There are so many wonderful ones on etsy Since I am broke, I've been working on my own, thankfully there's lots of primo lumber around these parts for the taking - including spalted birch, heehee I'd love a waterproof (non-wood) one for swimming, but I'd be so afraid to lose it!

TwitterFacebookInstagram

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Follow Mermaid Melusinah On Twitter Add Mermaid Melusinah on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Melusinah's Youtube Channel
    my hair is THICK! and there is a LOT of it! Like take your pointer finger tip to your thumb and you are looking at the average size of a Melu ponytail. That being said I keep it layered as much as possible! i HAVE to!! I'm growing it back out too! I'll post a pic eventually?

Side note: I use coconut oil on my face. and i have never had an issue with it. It has been fantastic actually. my skin glows and stays hydrated. oh and i cant even see my pores anymore! I think its a based on YOUR face and skin type sort of thing. *nods*

Melusinah, I totally agree. I know of a lot of people who can use coconut oil everywhere. I guess some people's pores clog easier than others? I think the reason I can't use it on my face right now is because I have some weird acne skin condition thing... Just showed up when I turned 18 :/ But I think that when it goes away I could probably use coconut oil on my face then, as it does wonders to the skin on the rest of my body

TwitterFacebookInstagram

This was my hair before. Note that it's kind of this flat blackish brassyish color. also, that's a chunky waist belt under there, not a pooch :P

Name:  938a4.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  37.1 KB

This is day 1 after henna.

Name:  1005634_10151700922918614_984058975_n.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  29.7 KB

Name:  998546_10151700913583614_2074095561_n.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  28.8 KB
    Last edited by Mermaid Varshana; 07-20-2013 at 12:41 AM.

Name:  New Image.JPG
Views: 732
Size:  236.6 KB

So here's a picture of my hair from uh... sometime last year. Fall, I believe. I really do need to take some new hair pix, my mom's been wanting to see it all grown out and brown :P

TwitterFacebookInstagram

ur perdy :3

Heehee, thanks I do miss the cotton-candy hair, and when I can afford to upkeep it, I may get rid of my current um... mix of colors (natural brown roots; purply-blondish-brown dye job).

Oooh, that does look like chocolate! I like it

TwitterFacebookInstagram

I like to keep my hair natural. Don't colour it or blow dry it. So it's just wavy usually lol Trying to grow it longer.

Name:  20130521_113525.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  273.9 KB