I should still be here. I'm not planning on moving too soon! X3
    *bubbles*
    Mermaid Kalliope

Live long and swim free!

deviantART
    Facebook page

Senior Member Pod of Oceania happyguava's Avatar
    Birds.

Oh my god, I can't even begin to explain. Haha, I have had to come home from picnics where there were magpies, run away from the beach when the seagulls get numerous... I had to sit out of a netball game once because there was a crow on the court

I was swooped a LOT of times as a kid (Australian magpies are freaking TERRIFYING!), got chased by a goose and snapped at by an emu.... Yep. It's a phobia now. Kinda embarrassing :P

Magpies are mean, and so are emus. X3

But 95% of the time you just have to tell yourself... I am bigger than them (Except the Emu... Just .. well, just run... FAST) and I can kick them in the face if I need to. Try chasing the seagulls away at the beach instead of running away. It will give you some more confidence perhaps that they aren't going to bother you.

-shrugs- Just my two cents. X3 Hope it helps a bit.
    *bubbles*
    Mermaid Kalliope

Live long and swim free!

deviantART
    Facebook page

We used to have some vicious blue jays in our back yard. Even the cats were intimidated and refused to go out.

Alveric

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Hamant's Avatar
    Sometimes talking with someone that has gone through the same things or had the same fears can help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorelei View Post
    I have major Arachnophobia :/ and I don't mind needles too much as long as they're in the side of my arm, if I need an IV or some needle in the inner elbow part of my arm I go into panic attack mode. I'm also afraid of dark water for some reason, I hate swimming at night unless there's a light on in the pool and someone's with me, i don't like water that is murky and I can't see much in because it makes me claustrophobic. I'm afraid to be eaten alive (part of the reason why I'm slightly afraid of sharks). And I think that's it :/
    I'm not sure how to get over any of it really...But glad to know I'm not alone with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kailani View Post
    I should still be here. I'm not planning on moving too soon! X3
    lol Good We'll plan it for two years from now then and we'll both go swim in an unlit pool at night. I gotta get over it evantually.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHamantZ View Post
    Sometimes talking with someone that has gone through the same things or had the same fears can help.
    Yea, it usually can Thanks

My only real phobia is wasps. If a wasp gets to close, I freak out, panic and run away. I can stand them bring near me, and I can even shoo them away once or twice, but if they shoo and keep coming back, that's when I start to wig out.

I'm not terrified of spiders anymore like I used to; now I just dislike them. I got over my needle phobia after I donated blood the first time. I don't like needles, but at least now I don't back myself into a corner and cry. I also fear dark water, but if I have someone with me I can go in and swim, even if I am a little jumpy about it!
    Follow me as I start my journey to become Mermaid Bjossa...
    http://becomingbjossa.blogspot.com/

Lorelei - Awesome! ^_^ We shall. I know I'm not ready for the ocean at night, quite yet, but we can work on the pool first. :-)

Maple - I've had my blood drawn twice and I've had shots... Still terrified like a baby of them.
    *bubbles*
    Mermaid Kalliope

Live long and swim free!

deviantART
    Facebook page

Jewel, my take on the afterlife question is this: we have records and stories of people who can do incredible things - mystics, martial artists, genii, athletes, certain devoted family members (you hear about mothers and feats of strength or intuition, most often), etc. If we humans are that powerful if we set our minds and spirits towards something... then how can that spirit truly be destroyed by something as commonplace as death? Also, some of the things that make our lives so wonderful and rich are those things which we never see or hold or sense in any way but through some inner recognition: love, hope, wisdom, courage, peace, mischief, humor, mermaids, and yes Virginia, Santa Claus. Why is it so strange to picture something greater than our current lives waiting for us?

Also, you might be interested in reading the Sandman series by Neil Gaiman... it follows the "god" of Dreams in the modern world, unravels several coiling stories, and offers a really comforting, friendly, cheerful personification of Death.

Happyguava, I like birds and bats and most insects (except mosquitos, though I'm not scared of them, just frequently bitten; and bees/wasps/yellojackets/etc, which I am afraid of), but I don't like anything flying towards me... I am horrible at baseball. A also am... not exactly afraid of heights, but afraid of falling from them (I'm fine if I have a sturdy wall or railing or airplane between me and plummeting to the ground), and even then, I'm more afraid of the sudden stop at the end. I don't mind swimming in dark water, but I'm 6'2" tall, and any water that is more than twice as deep as I'm tall and that I can't see beneath me freaks me out a little... I worry about what might come up and get me.

I'm also really afraid of disappointing my friends and family. It can be rough, especially since I've done so on more than one occasion (though they still love me and continue to help me).

I used to have night terrors about darkness, but I'm a night owl, and I like the cool shade of darkness (I don't even like my clock radio to be facing me because the glare keeps me up)... my nightmares were more about being crushed by this black void gravity thing. I don't like needles, and I always tense up a little, just like I do when a plane lands and it makes that roaring sound as it rumbles across the ground but is still going really fast... but I can get shots and ride planes all the time... I'm used to the knowledge that it's only going to take a moment.

That said, I don't like roller coasters, log flumes, or anything else that goes high and fast and makes me feel out of control.

I am right there with you arachnophobic, needle and dark/murky water fearing merfolk out there...definitely afraid of small spaces too. I'm also afraid of surgery and doctor's offices. If I can take care of my issues homeopathically then that is always my first preference probably because doctor's offices are always where those pesky needles are lurking!

I am terribly afraid of heights & falling too and my husband loves to taunt me with it. He loves to go to cliff edges just to mess with me and I totally freak out because I want to rescue him but I am terrified and freeze up like I'm made of stone. Really, really hate heights!
    Mermaid Shelly
    www.mermaidshelly.com

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    Here is my list of phobias...
    *Roller coaster (looks fun until you get on)
    *Spiders (8 legs, 8 eyes! EW!)
    *Swimming in murky water (creeps me out)
    *Wasps, bees, etc (never been stung and not intending to!)
    *Crabs (Which is sad cause I live on the eastern shore!)
    *Jelly fish (gotten stung tooo many times already!)
    * The dark (horibble experience, but a long story!)

That's all I can think of right now..........................
    Last edited by Mermaid Saphira; 12-09-2011 at 04:15 PM.
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidLanai View Post
    My Major Phobias are:

*Waterbugs, Yeecchh, most bugs actually, (newest bug to add to that fear of bugs list is House centepiedes) They all freak me out. I dont like them, flying cockaroaches need to go away, I mean seriously.

*Needles is another phobia- and its really bad too. Mostly due to everything i've been through cause i've been in and out of the hospital in my 29 years of life.Add the endless tests i've had. I literally breakdown when I have to get any CBC's Or "bloodwork". who cares if im turning 30 in october, my brain goes into instant 5yr old when i see a Needle,whether its a bloodwork needle or an Intravenous (I.V).

Falling. I cant explain this one, i think its from a trauma from when i was younger.

Also Im claustaphobic- this isint fun for me, i get anxiety from this.

I was in the hospital alot with CVS when I was younger...I am petrified of needles, blood, male doctors, you name it!!
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

Senior Member Euro Pod Azurin Luna's Avatar
    Add Azurin Luna on Facebook
    I'm afraid of driving, not as a passenger but as the driver. That's why I never got my drivers licence, I always see flashes of what can go teribly wrong when you lose control. Yet I ride a bike as fast as I can.

I'm also afraid of electric driven saws, especially the cirlular saw, even the sound gets on my nerves. At carpentry school I always asked if a teacher would stand near me when I had to use the saw, and I was always embarished to ask them. But once I got the courage to explain them why I needed it, they were more helpfull and even wanted to show the savest ways to use them if you are afraid of using them. It helped, but I still rather not use them ever again.

Guess I got some fairly uncommon fears around here.
    I don't mind bugs, but they have to stay out of my bed, anywere else doesn't matter, but the bed is mine! :P
    I'm not scared of needles at all, just don't like the feeling that much
    And I swim in any water that is safe to swim in
    Your imagination is your only limit

These are things I'm afraid of. I've been teased about them, especially because of how many things I'm afraid of. Honestly, I'm just guessing why I'm afraid of them, but I'm not sure I'll ever really know why. I mean, I know that the drain can't eat me, yada yada yada, but I can't help being afraid. :-) I hope this will help other people to not feel so alone in their fears.

storms (storm chasers)
    leeches (honestly I have no idea why)
    some drains (original cause, no idea. reason I use the cover for mine, accident i tub led to me staring into water distorted tub drain.)
    some shower heads (it's so bad that at a certain friend's house I look down, then open the door to wash my hands so that I don't see the shower head.)
    holes in walls
    needles (`I think we've all done the hiding behind the drawers of the examination table thing, but I pushed a nurse after the accident mentioned above led to a blood test)
    spiders (they're big, ugly, bite and love to hang out by my house)
    supernatural stuff (internet, travel channel lighthouse ghosts)
    aliens (I blame my cousin and the T.V.)
    my list grows when I read other people's and remember the problems I have with that.. I can't stand swimming at night. At all, unless there are like, five adults standing there. I don't like open spaces in winter or night because I feel vulnerable. The reason I dislike swimming at night is because I watched some show at 11 at night when I was really little where a boy ran off at night, jumped into a public pool turned into a monster, and when his mom chased him there and jumped in, she was killed... I can't be above the second floor of a house without getting scared (great uncle's three story house with creaky 3rd floor stairs right above creaky 2nd floor stairs, I can just imagine falling to the first floor in a mass of splintered wood. Eeep!!
    I also hate heights and elevators with windows to view the outside from- discovered that in March...
    Last edited by sunrise; 12-11-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Worms.

I am afraid of worms. Tiny little, helpless, wiggly, slime balls of ick and grossness. I don't know why I'm scared of them. Spiders and bugs don't bother me, slime isn't a issue, I don't know what. They just scare the hell out of me, there have been times when friends have chased me around dangling a worm, and the one time I saw someone eat a worm I almost hurled. I hate playing in dirt or mud unless I have a trowel, though gloves are preferred so then I can feel the dirt and play with it. I have issues with sea-weed because it's slimy and wiggly like worms and I just can't handle it. Though part of my issue with sea weed is that snapping turtles like to live in them and I can't see the sneaky jerks, which is all explained in the next paragraph.

I've also had a phobia of Snapping turtles which causes me to be cautious when entering any lake where I've heard there to be one. This happened after a neighbors full grown black lab was killed and partial eaten by a giant snapping turtle which took up residence in his display pond. It's strange, I have no issues swimming with sharks or sting rays or other 'dangerous' water life. But snapping turtles, no thank you. For me they have the stereo type most people have for sharks. So I guess snapping turtles and sharks are reversed for me ^_^ I love sharks, can't get enough. I love swimming with them, petting them, learning about them, spending time with them. But put me in any close proximity with a snapper and my danger radar goes crazy.

~ Facebook ~ Youtube ~ Model Mayhem

Need a logo? Website? Business Card? Or anything else?
    "You are anything but ordinary, why look it?" E-mail or message me.

I had to think a lot about this and there honestly isn't a lot that frightens me. But the one thing that does - and I mean to the bone - is DRIVING A CAR. I hate the feeling of being in the drivers seat, I hate suspecting everyone else is going to crash into me. Car driving is just such an uncomfortable experience for me that I'm even a terrible front-seat passenger, gasping and gripping the door handle at any sudden turn. I do my best to curb it and relax, but it still happens, and still annoys the driver. I even failed by driving test twice before giving up. I connect it to a car accident when I was 14 and a woman smashed into us as she was turning and we were waiting at the lights. I'm not a basketcase or anything, I just don't like driving.

Ironically enough I got my motorcycle licence instead and I am totally comfortable riding a motorcycle when I did ride one.

But yeah. Cars. Won't drive them, but I always chip in gas money for those who do drive me somewhere. Plus I save money and get exercise by walking or riding my bicycle instead!

@Aela: I was seventeen when I was a passenger in an accident where my grandmother was killed. It took me ten more years before I started driving. I know where you're coming from. I'm OK with driving now, I'm still uncomfortable as a passenger, however. I need to be in control to feel safe.

I know phobias aren't logical,but you are much safer in a car than a motorcycle.

Alveric

Senior Member Pod of The South
    Roaches are number one on my list. I can't even dispose of dead ones. U get them in the paper towels - like a whole roll of paper towels - and they crunch even if u don't mean for them to. UGH. I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about it!! Nope, I gotta get my bf to come over and get them. Live ones, forget it. I will instantly teleport to the other end of my house or find some reason to suddenly have to go to the store for a while. >.<

I also can't stand feet or body hair.

The subject of death is really interesting to me - I myself, don't fear it - I guess I've had so many near death experiences every which way possible, it doesn't even worry me anymore. Let's see, almost struck by lighting, almost run over by a tornado (that one was freaky), Been in a highway almost-crash that would have been lethal - saturns doing 360s, stopping on oncomming traffic, and somehow getting away without a scratch - I hope the big man gave my guardian angel a big bonus check for that one - chased down by a gang, looking down the barrel of a hand gun (needless to say I moved from that neighborhood), had a 4 foot shark swim by me when I was 12 or so, have half my heart no longer functioning after complications with strep where my throat almost closed. So yeah... very little makes me too nervous these days, as it's all kinda "eh. been there, done that.", BUT I have a HUGE fear of something happening to my daughter. Things I've gone through paired with a million and 2 stories my father told me during his 20 years working fire/rescue has me ALWAYS seeing some kind of horrible scenario in my head, and getting really upset about it And then I find myself pretty torn because I don't want to be one of those parents who keeps their kid in a bubble their whole life, but at the same time I'm terrified of anything happening to her. I don't know what I'd do.

Senior Member Pod of The South
    Quote Originally Posted by Aela View Post
    I had to think a lot about this and there honestly isn't a lot that frightens me. But the one thing that does - and I mean to the bone - is DRIVING A CAR. I hate the feeling of being in the drivers seat, I hate suspecting everyone else is going to crash into me. Car driving is just such an uncomfortable experience for me that I'm even a terrible front-seat passenger, gasping and gripping the door handle at any sudden turn. I do my best to curb it and relax, but it still happens, and still annoys the driver. I even failed by driving test twice before giving up. I connect it to a car accident when I was 14 and a woman smashed into us as she was turning and we were waiting at the lights. I'm not a basketcase or anything, I just don't like driving.

Ironically enough I got my motorcycle licence instead and I am totally comfortable riding a motorcycle when I did ride one.

But yeah. Cars. Won't drive them, but I always chip in gas money for those who do drive me somewhere. Plus I save money and get exercise by walking or riding my bicycle instead!
    That really is a hard thing to deal with because SO many people I swear get their licenses out of bubble gum machines these days! Almost every accident that I've been in was from someone being dumb. An old guy turned into me my first year driving. Tried to blame it on me but the positioning of the vehicles was obvious that he just started coming over into my lane. My second accident I was sort of at fault, but not ticketed. It was after I had gotten strep really really bad, and the fever you get with that can attack the heart, which it did, and it left half of my heart not functioning properly. I was getting a lot of arhythmias at the time and such, and just had a particularly stressful day, and ended up passing out. That wasn't fun. There was an almost accident about a year ago where someone almost did what the first guy did, only this was on the highway and he was driving a HUGE SUV and I was in a tiny car. I went into the shoulder to avoid him hitting me, but the car lost control and started spinning out onto the highway. When it stopped I was facing the oncoming traffic. I just kind of putted on over to the other shoulder and tried to stop shaking. The jerk who almost ran into me just kept driving without stopping to see if I was okay or anything > Then recently, I was parked in the parking lot and a 79 year old man hit my car while pulling into the spot next to me. There's about 20 other accidents I've avoided to date. U just gradually learn to be an aware/ cautious/ sometimes aggressive driver to deal with people's crazyness on the road.

Leeches x( so badley I have no idea why my family's into fishing and we fish with them and when I was younger I'd play with them when I was bored. So now I really don't swim much in freshwater which is a drag because I live by the Great Lakes