Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drowning--The real signs you need to know.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    What's even sadder is the fact that there were several kids going in just to look at him floating/sinking there. They didn't bother to get help or try to take him out of the pool. 8 mins of gawping at the drowned kid, then they go for help.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 11-23-2014 at 08:40 PM.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Well the kids probably thought he was playing. That lifeguard should have known very quickly, instead he had his back to the pool at some times

Quote Originally Posted by CarMi View Post
    On the subject of the dorsal, an extended dorsal is usually greater than 8 original rays so if you have more than that its usually a safe bet to say DT was crossed into the line somewhere.
    Did I miss something?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Pearl View Post
    Did I miss something?
    Nope. Just someone trying to be smart with nonsense.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Add DragonflyFeri on Facebook
    I think something that should be discussed is shallow water blackout. Especially considering most mers will practice freediving or long breath holding underwater.

Junior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Ayame's Avatar
    Follow Ayame On Twitter Add Ayame on Facebook
    Follow Ayame on Tumblr Visit Ayame's Youtube Channel
    Great info, more than my lifeguarding class covered. Kids do not flail their arms and yell for help if they're actively drowning, Red Cross! If they're distressed, yes. But the three times I've had to jump in, they were doggie paddling underwater and going nowhere. >.>

This is a very good example of drowning in plain sight, because people (if they paid any attention at all...) misread the situation as playing.

The boy was lucky and survived.

This is definitely something that should be taught in schools as a requirement in my opinion i can honestly say I never had a cpr class but I definitely think I will make plans to after seeing this

Sent from my SM-T350 using MerNetwork mobile app

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    That is painful to watch.
    Serves as reminder that one shouldn't rely on guards to save someone who has blacked out, as in "if it really happens, the guards will pull me out when they see me drifting underwater", yea no.
    That boy floated lifelessly submerged for almost 3 minutes.

Lifeguards can only help if they see someone having issues. Which may also mean that this camera is not monitored and this part may not be very visible to them (video looks dark).

Quote Originally Posted by Melosyne View Post
    This is a very good example of drowning in plain sight, because people (if they paid any attention at all...) misread the situation as playing.

The boy was lucky and survived.
    Holy F**K! I just learned that this happened in my country!

It would appear that this happened on January the 30th 2016 in a swimming hall in Helsinki, Finland. The mother of the child, an Estonian woman, apparently left her five-year old son in the children's pool while she went to the sauna with an adult, female friend. The friend also left her kid in the same pool. Whilst they were gone, the boy left the children's pool and made his way to the other pool where he nearly drowned (as seen in the video).
    Last edited by Lucinda; 02-08-2018 at 06:14 AM.
    ~~ Awaken your Inner Mermaid ~~

Visit my art thread: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...-s-Merfolk-Art

Interesting story about how no one heard 2 children go to the bottom of a pool and pass out.

The kids were saved, though, because after the lifeguards did see the kids and pull them out, a nurse was there and knew how to revive them, even though one was unresponsive.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/chin...nutes-CPR.html

This correlates with what I saw in 1 of the 2 rescues I've had to do. The kid went to the bottom of a deep spot behind a sandbar without making a sound.