Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Welcome MerNetwork Testers! (PLEASE READ)

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar

Welcome MerNetwork Testers! (PLEASE READ)

First off, welcome, and thank you for joining MerNetwork. Please be aware that the site is not officially open yet, as we'd like to have a test period where we can get feedback from people such as yourselves. All we ask is that you be patient and understanding of any bugs or errors, and that you give feedback on your experience on the site.

Again, welcome to MerNetwork!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I sent you this feedback on DA but perhaps here is the best spot? I've got lots and I've been editing my post to add more as I experience things on the site.
    "Okay, Im not sure what features are live yet but I wanted to give you a few things I noticed after registering.

It's not easy to find the edit profile bit - You have to go to settings first when going to my profile- customize seems like it would be the more obvious place to edit the profile. You may want to change the wording because they both look like they do the same thing but obviously dont as customize changes colours and CSS etc while edit allowed you to change information etc.

You have avatar and profile pic - avatar doesn't seem to let me do anything yet but your dimensions for profile pic seem to be pretty small. I tried a couple of times to upload something with the demensions and link to one too but it didn't work for me. Which will show up when you post? The Avatar or your profile pic? If profile pic is just for when people visit your page perhaps it can automatically down-size an image once uploaded? Just a thought.
    edit:

I tried to upload photos into the album section and even though my photos are super small screen resolution for facebook it still says they're too big. I can't make them any smaller without it being impossible to see. The same thing happens when I try to link to photos off site. Also you can only upload 1 photo at a time. I think people would have an easier time without the size restrictions however Im sure that part has to do with how much space you have for the site?

Im also still not 100% how to browse the forums/find threads and post. For instance when I go to a section, not sure how to start a new thread- nothing I can see. Perhaps a series of screenshots in the FAQ would help. But of course I'm not sure what things are live yet and what's not. I only found the actual 'forum" when I looked at your link about tailmakers and saw the hot link in adam martyrns section! Im still not sure how to actually get to it from the main menu. Hunting around will discourage new users so for now I've got the forum page itself bookmarked!

Also, could we get a specific description of what areas each pod includes? For instance, in the east coast of Canada I have no idea which pod I belong to I actually dont think there is one there that applies! (I think I'd be North Atlantic? Im at the Atlantic ocean, and North, and not near the great lakes, lol) I do love the idea of pods though, it'll help us keep local things going, events, swims, meet ups etc. Great idea!

I love the TOS at the beginning, great job, I hope people read it!

So far that's all I've noticed that I've found a bit confusing and tricky to figure out. Everything else seems awesome I'm so excited for it to go live!"

p.s LOVE that we can subscribe to threads, that really helps stay on top of what threads we've started that we want to see if people have commented in. Thanks
    Last edited by AniaR; 07-10-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Neria's Avatar
    Well, so far I love the new site! I'm still getting used to the way it works, but so far it seems great.

Quote Originally Posted by Marina View Post
    Well, so far I love the new site! I'm still getting used to the way it works, but so far it seems great.
    Hey, you wanna see something cool? If you want this site to look like the old forum, just scroll to the very bottom of the page and click on the dropdown menu that says "Default Style". Then click on "Old School".

Senior Member Pod of Cali Neria's Avatar
    ooohhh! wow thats cool!

K, after making my very first official review post I wanted to add there's a limit of only being able to link 10 photos (I tried to link 17 for the purpose of my review) and there is a character limit for how long you can post. I had to post my review in several parts and while I dont think average posts will go over that I think informative posts and reviews will. It would be nice if we could adjust those numbers!

Hmm most of the things I've noticed so far have already been commented on.

Three main things after initial look-through:

"Introduce Yoursellf" <- typo on sub-forum section
    limited number of words/photos ability to post
    avatars are not enabled for junior members
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

... I may or may not have posted my pool thread in the wrong section. Not sure if it's fine or if I should ask to get it moved.
    Also you can't post photos directly from your computer into a thread, it only accepts URLs of already hosted images. Which is the same way Yuku handled it, so I guess that's not a big deal.

I have subscribed to several threads but I dont know where to check my subscriptions! Anyone know?

@Raina: Yep. Go to "Quick Links" -> "Subscribed Threads"
    The "Quick Links" tool bar is located in the secondary menu bar under "Home | Forum | What's New".

Senior Member North Pacific Pod LindseyLu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by malinghi View Post
    Hey, you wanna see something cool? If you want this site to look like the old forum, just scroll to the very bottom of the page and click on the dropdown menu that says "Default Style". Then click on "Old School".
    Hey Malinghi I LOVE this feature!!!! What a great idea! And to be able to change the language too!?!?!? Merveilleuse!!!!!!!!!

To address some of the great feedback I've been getting, I made the following changes:
    • Fixed the Typo in "Introduce Yourself"
    • Changedsettings so there's no limit on post length or number of images allowed
    • Added two new Pods to the forum for Eastern Canada and Oceana, called Pod of St. Lawrence and Pod of Oceana, respectively
    • Images with larger dimensions can now be uploaded
    As to your inability to upload images from your computer, what browser do you use? I've found that the popup to add an image gives the option of uploading from your computer if you are using firefox or internet explorer, but not chrome. Also there is an additional error that for firefox and internet explorer if you want to give it the URL of the image you need to unclick a check box that says "Retrieve remote file and reference locally".

I'm going to keep looking into this bug. Please let me know if you have same experiences with different browsers.

thank you for all your hard work Malinghi it's appreciated! :o

AniaR, what browser are you using?

Chrome represent!

... Well. I have no idea if I just made the forums more confusing or if I've helped. If someone could let me know after assessing the "progress/damage" if I should continue, that'd be cool.
    [I'm referring to the copy/pasting posts over from mer.yuku, specifically in the "Tops" section].

Also you can't delete [your own] posts.

... I'm going for a swim. :|
    Last edited by Spindrift; 07-12-2011 at 05:52 AM. Reason: grammar

Spindrift, I don't know what other people think, but I like the archived threads. I think its good that you put "ARCHIVE" in the thread title, but just to be safe you might want to have some kind of message in the post that says something like, "This is an archived thread that was originally posted on mer.yuku.com, the predecessor to MerNetwork. For more information about mer.yuku.com, <a href="http://mernetwork.com/index/content....etwork-article">click here</a>."

Or something similar It can be shorter, or you don't need to include it at all. I just think it might be useful since eventually a lot of our members won't know that we once moved the forum, so they'll be really confused by the archived threads.

About deleting posts, do you guys want that ability? They can still be edited, just not removed.

@malinghi:
    Yep, added. Should I try to archive every thread? I could do that, it just might take a while, especially for the ones that are still running/being added to. Or I can just do it for a select few. There might also be an option to lock the threads later so that they can remain as archives.

I suppose instead of absolute deletion there might be an option to say "message deleted" or something. I don't know. I definitely want a delete post option on mer.yuku, since I think I have pictures of me there that I'd like to remove. I could see it being handy for some posts, but I guess we could just message one of the moderators (you) if we wanted to remove something.

I just found out too when you try and post a photo using a link in a thread it has this box automatically checked: " Retrieve remote file and reference locally" and I couldnt submit the photo, but when I unchecked the box, I could.

Hmm... does this happen to anyone else? When I click on a thread it brings me to the beginning, instead of the end. Does anyone want that fixed? Or is that a personal preference thing that I should set myself?