Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi! Currently working on full silicone tail....

Progress pictures! I did a few sample patches of silicone scales and painted them today. Even the patches that came out of my messy mold look good once I painted them. I tried a few different colors just for fun and I really like how they all turned out. I haven't designed my tail yet and I still have a ton of paint colors I haven't tested.

I also poured silicone in my fluke mold today and I'm waiting for it to cure.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Member Undisclosed Pod TheSolitarySiren's Avatar

Follow TheSolitarySiren on Tumblr
    Wow!~ They look absolutely wonderful!~ You've done a fabulous job. So glad it worked out for you. What are you painting the scales with?
    Just a loner mermaid from the far edges of the sea. Don't mind me.

I'm using pearl ex powdered paint by jacquard. I mixed it with the silicone and then painted it on the silicone scales. I absolutely love this paint and it mixes with the silicone really well.

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    Those look awesome.
    So, wait you're pouring clear silicone into your fluke mold? aren't you afraid your colors will chip?
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Hi Dottie,

I poured clear silicone into my fluke mold and will paint it later with silicone mixed with powdered paint. Silicone will only stick to silicone so you have to use silicone as your paint base. The best part about this is that the colors won't chip or get rubbed off because they become part of the fluke and not just paint on top. You can tint your silicone but it uses a lot of paint and if you use too much the silicone might not cure.

I really like how easy it is with dragonskin to fill in rough spots that were caused my my mold or air bubbles. This is my first time working with silicone and I'm really enjoying it!

Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Yeah, but you'll likely have to touch it up more often than if your silicone was tinted. Then again, you might get a lovely Semi translucent look.

What I mean is, even silicone scuffs and gets a little torn up from wear. I believe that is why most tailmakers tint the base silicone layer, then paint on top. I could be wrong, though.
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Wow! Jessica, this looks fantastic! Congrats to you! I can't wait to see the finished product!
    “The cure for anything is salt water -- sweat, tears, or the sea.”
    Isak Dinesen - http://www.worldofquotes.com/topic/water/2/index.html
    Follow me on Facebook and Youtube!

My Facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mermai...38613266232787

My Youtube page:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MermaidDanielle2012

It's almost done!!! It's still a little gooey in the very center, but the edges of the fluke are done! My kids are so excited...my daughter is holding the fluke in this picture.

Amazing!!! This looks fantastic I really like your scales and the fluke is looking great!!! I love the transclucent effect but I'm confused if your going to be able to see the monofin or not even after you paint it:/ I know it will look perfect anyways though

Hi Jazz,

i think I will have to use either multiple layers of paint or darker colors near the monofin. The fluke is thinner than I intended in between the ridges, but I think it will be fine structurally once I seal the two halves together. The edges are really thick and should be good support for the fluke. I was trying to make it really floppy but I do wish I had made it a little thicker! I'm so excited by this whole process...the materials are just amazing to work with.

dottie,

i considered tinting the silicone but I have no idea what color I'm painting my tail! It would be a smart thing to do just in case you do scrape your tail, and I think I might do it next time. Ive been so focused on getting the process right that I haven't given any thought to what I want my tail to look like. I have a 32 color pack of paint so I have some options to choose from though.....I just don't know where to begin!

Jessica this is really wonderful. I am very thrilled watching you succeed at this.

Sooooo beautiful! The scale samples are absolutley gorgeous and looks super realistic!
    Formerly known as "kimmie".

The fluke is out of the mold! It's VERY floppy....maybe too floppy...but I'm really happy with how it turned out! The silicone really captured the details. You can't really tell in the picture, but there are a ton of fine detail lines in between the ridges. I can't wait to see how this looks painted!

Nice!!! Congratulations it really looks great!

I kind of hope I'm right, though, that when you sandwich your monofin in your fluke it ends up a little transparent. That would be soooo pretty in the water, especially from below the sunlit angles.
    It really looks good right now. I'm so excited to see this project.
    Mermaid Dottie

If you're afraid that your fluke will be to thin, you can very easily pour some extra silicone on the back. It will pool outwards and thicken the fluke for you without making big bumps or lumps.
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    Mernetwork Moderator

Thank you all so much for all of your support! This has been an interesting project and its been both fun and frustrating! I poured the second half of the fluke last night and it came out perfect! Now that I have both halves of the fluke I'm trying to figure out if I made it thick enough. It feels good and sturdy when I lay the sides together, but its rather floppy and I'm questioning my decision to use a finis foil monofin. I designed my fluke to attach right below the foot pocket. The problem is that the fluke is so floppy that it just flops on the sides and right where the monofin ends. I wanted a seamless, flowy look for the fluke, but it looks like the shape of the monofin will be rather noticeable. I also have a wave monofin that will fit and provide more support or the fluke, but I don't like the idea of using it because of the detachable ankle straps. I wore out the strap last summer and had to buy a new one, and I don't know if I would be able to replace the strap once it was in the tail if I wear it out again.

Lorelei,
    I like your idea and it should be pretty easy to add a little extra on the back. Do you think making the fluke a little thicker will make a difference with how much it flops at the end of the monofin? I want the fluke to be flowy and not just hang off the end of the monofin......
    how thick is your fluke?

Here are some pictures of both of my fluke halves together:

would you add any extra silicone or not?

I would definitely advise you to add some extra, especially around the monofin. Even rubber monofins can cut through the fluke if they bang against anything or the silicone is too thin. You're probably fine around the edges though.
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    Mernetwork Moderator

oooo! So Cool!
    Mermaid Dottie

Progress on the scale mold! I'm a little over halfway done scraping all the bits of foam out of my mold. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  177.5 KB