Thread: We now have a permanent page for tailmaking tutorials!

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar

We now have a permanent page for tailmaking tutorials!

I just wanted to draw everyone's attention that if you go to the homepage and click the tab that says "Making Tails", it takes you to a page where awesome tutorials and info on where to find material are posted, so you don't need to hunt through the forums anyone to find that info.

Here's a link: http://mernetwork.com/index/content....9-making-tails

What an awesome idea! Hopefully that'll bring an end to the constant requests for the same information X3 Plus, it consolidates everything instead of having to flip back and forth through several different threads.

Sounds great! I have my safety information thread backed up to add at some point. On that note, I have a request. Can you please not recommend caulk from the get go?
    "Some kinds are toxic. All kinds are expensive. If using silicone caulk, you can buy it at any major hardware or plumbing store."
    Platinum is the only skin safe silicone. People will remember that I'm not the biggest fan of Alex (as that's not safe either, but is way better than tin based silicone) but while whatever material you choose to use is your own choice, I'd strongly prefer to be part of a site that didn't provide information about/advocate using dangerous materials.

I would like to second that vote... I actually didn't know how toxic Alex was until I had a chat with Raina about it, and I'm glad she told me... others wouldn't be so lucky! I think at the very LEAST there should be information posted directly on the permanent page about the dangers of those materials, not just a little side not about some kinds being toxic. People tend to ignore itty bitty warnings.

Thats wonderful, looks like the new forum transition is not only going smoothly but there are a few extras and advantages to the forum

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid Star's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Star On Twitter Add Mermaid Star on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Star's Youtube Channel
    Awesome! I love the organization! I am sure it will continue to grow. Looks great and easy to use. I really like it!

Happy to say I am working on an comprehensive guide to add to the permanent pages! Now whenever someone asks me the same questions all the time I can just point them there! I edited the latex & silicone section to be a bit more informative.

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidCalliope View Post
    What an awesome idea! Hopefully that'll bring an end to the constant requests for the same information X3 Plus, it consolidates everything instead of having to flip back and forth through several different threads.
    You know, you'd think that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Selene
    Alex (as that's not safe either, but is way better than tin based silicone)
    I thought ALEX was tin-based silicone (It's definitely caulk...I use it at work and always think of it as 'mermaid tail in a tube' now :P ) and that was the whole problem with it. I get you in principle, but I think in practice it's going to be difficult if not impossible to get people to stop posting about ALEX tails, at least until something better comes along. It's just too easy to do, the information is already pretty widely distributed, and for the relatively low price the results are pretty good so it's going to be a very attractive option, for better or worse.

I think we need to nail down the issue of 'toxicity while wet/curing' and 'toxicity after curing', since I thought Capt Nemo had some information or at least insight into this in the late lamented 'How To Make A Latex Tail' thread that suggested the composition changed enough during curing that it was at least 'not so bad' when coupled with the fact that it's on top of neoprene and coated with silicone spray. Skin contact with the cured ALEX is going to be mostly incidental. Pre-existing conditions and medical sensitivities are another matter, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingéd Mermaid View Post
    Happy to say I am working on an comprehensive guide to add to the permanent pages! Now whenever someone asks me the same questions all the time I can just point them there! I edited the latex & silicone section to be a bit more informative.
    Thank you hun! Looks so much better now.

Quote Originally Posted by OrcaMatt View Post
    You know, you'd think that.....

I thought ALEX was tin-based silicone (It's definitely caulk...I use it at work and always think of it as 'mermaid tail in a tube' now :P ) and that was the whole problem with it. I get you in principle, but I think in practice it's going to be difficult if not impossible to get people to stop posting about ALEX tails, at least until something better comes along. It's just too easy to do, the information is already pretty widely distributed, and for the relatively low price the results are pretty good so it's going to be a very attractive option, for better or worse.

I think we need to nail down the issue of 'toxicity while wet/curing' and 'toxicity after curing', since I thought Capt Nemo had some information or at least insight into this in the late lamented 'How To Make A Latex Tail' thread that suggested the composition changed enough during curing that it was at least 'not so bad' when coupled with the fact that it's on top of neoprene and coated with silicone spray. Skin contact with the cured ALEX is going to be mostly incidental. Pre-existing conditions and medical sensitivities are another matter, of course.
    Alex is a mix of latex and condensation cure silicone.

My concern with the original text was that it was advertising caulk, which is more dangerous than Alex. I understand that it will be impossible to prevent others choosing to use materials that aren't deemed safe. It's their choice, I'm not interested in policing that. What I am interested in is that unsafe materials are not advertised from the start and that information is provided for people to make an informed decision. What they decide to use is up to themselves. Before I retreated from Yuku, I saw a post Nemo had made on Alex, my brain is sleepy so please bear with me, I believe concerning how much chemical seepage there was.. to be honest I hardly remember what it was concerning, but it didn't seem right to me so I launched into my own investigation which showed quite different results. I'm not interested in nagging or going on with a fever akin to a bible thumper about the "evils of alex" on this board and am tired of butting heads, albeit very politely, with Nemo in that regard so will just be dropping it for now, save my safety/information thread which I need to revise and add to when I get the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    Sounds great! I have my safety information thread backed up to add at some point. On that note, I have a request. Can you please not recommend caulk from the get go?
    "Some kinds are toxic. All kinds are expensive. If using silicone caulk, you can buy it at any major hardware or plumbing store."
    Platinum is the only skin safe silicone. People will remember that I'm not the biggest fan of Alex (as that's not safe either, but is way better than tin based silicone) but while whatever material you choose to use is your own choice, I'd strongly prefer to be part of a site that didn't provide information about/advocate using dangerous materials.
    this is perfect info for my experiment.thank you. and i agree with the unsafe thing