Thread: Orca nukes a common dolphin

Orca nukes a common dolphin

I didn't know this but some orca pods hunt dolphins as their main prey.

Professional photographer Jodi Frediani was out on Monterey Bay when she caught a sequence of photos of a dolphin hunt. The pod corralled a dolphin, then a mother orca swam up from underneath and smashed the dolphin right out of the water high in the air with a head butt, then dived back in the water underneath her two juveniles. The dolphin was knocked unconscious and when it landed back in the water the juveniles killed and ate it. Talk about "nature red in tooth and claw!!!"

Here's a picture of the dolphin shooting up in the air

Name:  2-killer_whale_common_dolphin_mg_5127.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  139.7 KB

Attachment 12237

More photos can be seen in this article http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...flips-dolphin/
    Last edited by AptaMer; 07-28-2013 at 12:40 AM.

Now another photographer has captured photos of an orca hunting a dolphin. Photographer Christopher Swann captured the dramatic photo below, when the orca leapt high in the air above the fleeing dolphin, then dove down on top of the dolphin, capturing it in its jaws and killing it.

Name:  article-2377154-1AF41277000005DC-941_964x778.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  201.0 KB

The power the orca must have to jump so high out of the water must be incredible.

The whole story is here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2a1WjSLAq

yeah orcas wil; eat just about anything.. seals.. dolphins.. smaller sharks.. HUMANS... i suppose thats why theyre called killer whales no?
    The SeaGlass Siren

I've never heard of any more than the odd attack of humans in the wild. We're not fat enough. Not yet anyway :P
    Feel free to friend me on Facebook

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    lol, you sure?

Anyway, I'm chilled.
    Orcas are monsters! As scary as any Great white!
    *considers ripping up her orca tail*

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Varshana View Post
    I've never heard of any more than the odd attack of humans in the wild. We're not fat enough. Not yet anyway :P
    That's because No ones been alive to tell anyone xD
    The SeaGlass Siren

I'm more afraid of colossal squid. There are actual real reports of shipwrecked sailors getting eaten by them from WWII
    Feel free to friend me on Facebook

Orcas actually will leave us alone. I, too, am more afraid of the giant squid. ><

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Giant squids are sure scary too.
    I used to have nightmares as a kid and teen of huge kalmars hiding in the most unlikely places
    (like, garden ponds, which were suddenly black in colour and unfathomably deep), and those endless dark tentacles coming out of the water.

However, I figured that was only because I have arachnophobia, and kalmars are similar to them (eight long legs? hmm...).
    At any rate, they're usually in the deep sea, whereas sharks and killer whales practically skim the surface.

Junior Member Chesapeake Pod
    The orca pods that hunt the dolphins, seals, etc. are typically called transients where as the fish-eater are residents, at least in the pacific northwest. But pods differ from region to region, just like humans. For example, the New Zealand pod is the only pod to hunt and eat sting rays. But for wild orca there has been no reports of lethal attacks and only one where the man was bitten and he survived with stitches.

Junior Member Chesapeake Pod
    Those are also gorgeous pictures

Orcas are one majestic badass

Orca nukes are not considered a threat to humans, although there have been cases of captives killing or injuring their handlers at marine theme parks.

Senior Member Euro Pod *Celine*'s Avatar
    Waow, I never heard of Killer Whales eating dolphins, but I quess it sounds logical since there are pods that only eat sting rays and such. I do have to say that the second picture is amazing, look at how high that Orca is jumping! They are so strong and beautiful. Along with cats, Orcas are my favorite animals.

Also, when I visited Florida a few years ago I went to see the Orca shows in Sea World and I thought that was simply amazing and wanted to work with those amazing creatures. But then I've read all those articles on how they suffered and now I feel so guilty and naive because off what I thought back then...

They really do belong in the open water and they should stay there

Orcas are incredibly docile creatures, and there was only one case ever of someone being attacked in the wild by one. Though I wouldn't advise swimming with them in the wild (as it's illegal!), people kayak with pods of killer whales all the time and nothing bad has ever happened. They are so smart and gentle, but will definitely not stop when it comes to food :P I think they are intelligent enough though, to know humans aren't snacks!

Now squids on the other hand... Wow... *shudders*

I think the scariest sea creature would probably be the Humboldt Squid :c Those little buggers are relentless!

They eat penguins, which are smaller than us. But I doubt a normal orca would try to eat a human on purpose.

I'm more afraid of colossal squid. There are actual real reports of shipwrecked sailors getting eaten by them from WWII
    Maybe revenge for all the calamari people eat? lol