Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: The Mer-Writers Thread

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    Hahaha! I actually did a mermaid roleplay with a guy and we set it in Morro Bay (we made the joke that it was actually a misspell of 'merrow' which is another word/ variety of merfolk). Also Mermaid Miracles was set in Morro Bay when it was filming.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Prince Calypso's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Crazy View Post
    Hahaha! I actually did a mermaid roleplay with a guy and we set it in Morro Bay (we made the joke that it was actually a misspell of 'merrow' which is another word/ variety of merfolk). Also Mermaid Miracles was set in Morro Bay when it was filming.
    that kinda where i got the idea, that and having visited once.
    but how plausible would it be for group of three mermaids to live in Morro Bay without being discovered. i know there is a lot of boating and tourist because of morro rock.
    Little Sailor, Little fool, your better heed the golden rule
    do unto other just as you, would like to to have them do to you
    you think you can just walk away,but no, it doesn't work that way
    see once your mine, your'll always be
    I never give anything for free...

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    I live just down the coast from Morro bay, and have visited it. Most of the California coast is used by someone, either living there, or surfing, or SCUBA diving, or fishing, or whale watching, or just boating. Its hard to imagine any large creature living here undiscovered. However...
    Just off Monterrey bay is a deep underwater canyon. Now and then researchers send remote controlled submersibles there to explore, as much of it remains unexplored. Something sufficiently vigilant could remain hidden there.
    http://www.geosociety.org/graphics/m...tevensetal.jpg
    Near the coast there are also kelp forests, but divers go into those all the time.
    Last edited by Merman Storm; 06-21-2016 at 11:47 PM.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

I am splashing into this thread so hard! I've been looking for a writing thread here for a little while now!

I'm a fantasy writer myself. Ironically, I've never written about them. I need to do that!

Hi all!
    It's like the tide, always falling and rising
    I will carry you here in my heart
    You'll remind me
    That come what may, I know the way
    I am Moana - Disney's Moana

I haven't written fiction in a while because, depessingly enough, it seems whenever I have an idea, someone else comes along with a similar concept, only executed ten times better. I'm actually slightly embarrassed of some aspects of my "Nerissa Sanderson" Fictionpress novella series, because I've since come across so much other mermaid media with similar themes. I feel almost like it's only worth making the effort to write any more if I come up with a truly unique and original idea. I recently came up with a new "mersona", or basically a back story for my mermaid cosplay persona, as a young mermaid princess in the Disney TLMverse who was born unable to swim, which she is somewhat insecure about. I'm really tempted to write fanfiction around my mersona, but the thing is, it would technically be a self-insert into the Disney Little Mermaid universe, since the character is basically me had I been born in a fantasy world, and self-insert fics tend to get a bad rap as being overly "Mary Sue-ish", but I guess a disabled character would subvert the usual perfect Mary Sue tropes. What do you guys think, should I give it a go? Would you read TLM fanfiction surrounding a disabled OC based on my real-life self? Any tips for avoiding the usual Mary Sue self-insert cliche's?

Here's my new mersona:

Princess Kae-Leah is the lovely mermaid princess of the North Pacific Ocean with a sparkly purple tail in the same universe as Disney’s The Little Mermaid who just happens to have born disabled, unable to swim. Due to this, she generally leads a sheltered life, doted upon by her mother, Queen Gwendolyn, rarely leaving the palace of her kingdom and when she does, it’s in a seahorse-drawn chariot, the mer-world’s equivalent of a wheelchair. Although she is insecure about her disability, she tries very hard to compensate for it by studying very hard, especially languages and environmental science, hoping to one day rule her kingdom with her brain making up for her lack of swimming ability.
    When Kae-Leah and her mother visited Atlantica on a royal state visit, she quickly becomes good friends with Ariel, who of course is very accepting of her disability, especially when she discovers that Princess Kae-Leah enjoys visiting the surface of the ocean as much as she does, because when posed on rocks above the water, all mermaids’ mobility is limited, no matter how good of a swimmer they are under the water, so it’s an equalizer! Ursula the Sea Witch attempted to take advantage of Kae-Leah’s insecurity by promising to grant her the ability to swim in exchange for stealing King Triton’s trident for her, but she declined, because as much as she’d love to swim, she refused to place the sea kingdom in danger.
    Princess Kae-Leah hopes one day to find a merman who would love her in spite of her disability, but for the time being is grateful for the love and support of her family and friends.
    Follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kae-Le...53963584623799

Check out my writing on FictionPress, which has so far received more than 12,000 hits from 88 countries and territories on 6 continents!
    http://www.fictionpress.com/u/729633/Kae_Leah_W

I'm a mer-writer! Although I haven't written much mer-related stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am a siren, mysterious and powerful, beautiful and deadly. I am made of magic!

So happy to see so many other writers on here ^.^ I'm participating in NaNoWriMo this year and its going well so far. My novel is mermaid/steampunk inspired.
    Formerly known as MermaidSasha

So I took the plunge and started writing again. You can read what is posted here:
    https://www.wattpad.com/story/927183...monsters/parts

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    I am working on a Mer story, even though I like to write, I have a hard time finding time for it...hopefully I can work on it this summer...

Sent from my ShellPhone using Tapatalk

I finally figured out how to give you all a preview haha
    <iframe width="500" height="280" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" src="https://embed.wattpad.com/story/92718315" ></iframe>

Junior Member Euro Pod Alaw ferch Tonnau's Avatar
    I guess I'm a fantasy writer as I've been writing fantasy novels for years but I've never finished one. I'm determined to finish the one I'm working on at the moment. It's not really mer fiction but some of the characters are merfolk. It's about fairies in British and Irish folklore where merfolk are considered fairies.
    Last edited by Alaw ferch Tonnau; 02-25-2017 at 12:58 PM.
    Call me Ally

Member Chesapeake Pod
    Pod of The South
    I will be moving this summer, most likely to Virginia.

Visit Mermaid Lanier's Youtube Channel
    I've always been a writer. I've written several finished novellas, lots of short stories, and just finished two books (Beast and Queen) in a trilogy I'm working on. But I've never written anything about mermaids before.

I've had plenty of concepts for them, but never a plot. I think it's because I have a tendency to try and write something earth-shaking and world-changing as far as plot goes (in Knights In Shining Armor, my characters will be rewriting the very pillars of reality!) and a mermaid story would be much more personal for me. I would prefer something just a little quieter where it really focuses on the characters, akin to a romance novel.

In most mermaid books I've read, I get a little upset that the plot gets in the way of me simply learning about their life and the way that mermaids live under the ocean. I would happily sit down and read a book about a mermaid just going about her daily life. A lot of the time, I feel like the plot just gets in the way of that. So as soon as I finish my current trilogy, I would love to start on that.

Lanier, I hope you will work on that. I love the idea of a day in the life of a mermaid. Sounds nice.

I'm working on a final draft of something started long ago. I feel like I'm always learning how to improve my writing, so I'm back at this story. I enjoy it, if I say so myself, and I don't want to give up and leave it at the state it is in. I think I can improve it. So, Exposition Expelliarmus! Because I didn't realize I was using exposition in a way I'd rather not until just a little while ago.

I hope everyone else is having a good writing experience lately!

What is everyone working on? If you care to share.

I'm working on finishing the rough draft of a fantasy story while also preparing and planning a horror novel for November xD

https://www.wattpad.com/story/117023...eatures-of-the

My latest online "book':
    A faux "textbook" covering the complex and unique biology of the most magical and beautiful (fictional) creatures of the sea. Answers to the following questions and more inside:
    *What do mermaids eat?
    *Do merfolk have gills?
    *Do they have to go to the bathroom like us?
    *Do mermaids really wear seashell bras?

Follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kae-Le...53963584623799

Check out my writing on FictionPress, which has so far received more than 12,000 hits from 88 countries and territories on 6 continents!
    http://www.fictionpress.com/u/729633/Kae_Leah_W

That's awesome!

The Internet has changed so much in the past ten years. Years ago, I'd write something, get tons of reads and great feedback - usually on a Yahoogroups site, or something else focused on a genre. But now, with so many people writing in the categories, it's just saturated with the things I loved to write about. Including mermaids. There are so many mermaid stories. And granted, the stories with royal lines and battles, people learning they're mer, merfolk societies, are definitely the popular thing, but it's just not what I want to write.

I tried Wattpad a couple years ago, then I decided I didn't like it. But I decided to try again. So I have writing on Wattpad right now. Just one story. I have views, but only one comment. The whole reason I'm there is for feedback. But I'm not getting a lot of reads.

So here is mine, in case anyone wants to read it. It's a lot of parts, but each part is not all that long at all. I think part of my problem is that it doesn't fit easily into a category; it's got some romance, but it doesn't center on it. And I could use a decent cover, for sure. I am not an artist, however, and I can't imagine anyone making it the way I imagine.

https://www.wattpad.com/myworks/137259625-moon-at-sea

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Haven't done much writing in a while, but trying to get back into it. I want to add more action and drama and crazy fantasy stuff to my Guardians merfolk stories, just go nuts.

Cool, I hope you have some great creative bursts!

I'm stoked- someone left a great comment on my story. I don't know if they were from here, but woohoo!