Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Jazz's H2o Style Silicone Mermaid Tail Process

Senior Member Pod of The South MermaidHyli's Avatar
    Add MermaidHyli on Facebook
    I'm def excited to see the outcome and tests of the powder pidments.

I wish I was away in Ingo
    Far away across the briny sea
    Sailing over deepest waters
    Where love nor care never trouble me

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    Oh sorry I meant once you finish your mold. So you'd make a rectangle mold, but maybe only cast the silicone to your measurements. Does that make more sense?

Thank you so much for writing out such a comprehensive tutorial on mold making!! I'm purchasing shell shock next week and I was apprehensive about tackling it, but now I'm feeling much more confident!! Thank youuu <3

Your welcome Mizuko! And ohhh! I feel stupid now Shymer! That makes more sense Lol Thanks I will definitely do that

Lol it's just an idea it might help with blending your seams because the edges would be thinner. I don't know if the silicone is thick enough to do this, though. It might be too runny. Good luck in any case!

Quote Originally Posted by jazz2453 View Post
    @Mermaid Nerin
    Making a mold of your fluke-(This is what I did) Honestly when it comes to making molds it's different for everyone depending on what material you use. In this case, I made a sculpt out of Monster Maker's clay. The hardest part was smoothing out the clay. I bought some clay tools (which you can find at any art store) and I used a paint scraper razor. I melted the clay with a blowdryer then lightly used the razor and tools to level and smooth the clay. Once that was done I added the detail. Once your satisfied with your sculpt, you make a mold wall. More clay is the best option, but I ran out of clay so a cardboard box was fine. You will need vinyl gloves for this process (*DO NOT GET SHELL SHOCK ON YOUR SKIN, IT WILL BURN.) I applied Vaseline (You don't need it, but it's a nice if you want an easy release) all over the clay and around the side of the clay (so the edges would release). I then sprayed Mann's Ease Release 200. I waited 30 minutes for it to dry, the applied my first layer of Shell Shock. The mix ratio is 1a:4b by volume, so I applied 1/2 cup of part A (Shell shock has 2 parts) and 2 cups of part B. Shell shock has an 8 minute pot life, if you get slow, so you need to work FAST! Mix the parts together for 30 seconds or until one solid color. Pour it on and use a paintbrush to paint the detail. Apply all over your surface. Let that dry for about 30 minutes. Begin mixing another batch. This time I used 1/4 cup A and 1 cup B. Same process of applying. Let it dry for 30 minutes. Apply another layer of your desired amount. And continue this process until your mold is thick enough. I applied about 5 layers. *WAIT for it to dry for 5 hours until you demold. For the the edges on the cardboard, I used a putty knife to scrape underneath so they wouldn't stick to the cardboard. I waited 2 hours until I did this. DO NOT release anymore of the Shell Shock until it's fully cured.
    Why not to lift it too early-This is where I got stupid…-_- I become too anxious, and lifted a small piece of the Shell Shock about 2 hours and 30 minutes into drying. The corner piece of the fluke snapped off the the rest of the mold. My heart stopped, and I thought it was over. Once it was 5 hours, I flipped the fluke over and peeled the clay out CAREFULLY. It easily came out and I was just left with tiny pieces of clay stuck to the detail. I rearranged the broken pieces into there place and glued them together. I then filled in the crack with clay. It now looks fine and you can't tell that it cracked because the clay is leveled with the mold, but it was just a scary experience. If I told have any peculiar marks I'm pretty sure they will be so faint that the paint with easily cover them. Anyways so once it's fully cured it's simple to release it. You can carefully use your finger to release the edges and then lift, or flip the mold over and peel the clay out. Anyway is fine, it's pretty easy. You can then scrub with a tooth brush and let it sit in hot water, or use a blowdryer and a q-tip/ dental pick/ tooth pick/ other and just try to get out as much clay as possible. And YAY! You have a fluke mold that is ready for silicone casting.

I haven't molded my scales yet but I write a detailed process/tutorial once I'm finished. I'm pretty sure you know that it starts out by making a model with any material (clay, seeds, craft foam) and then applying your material over them.
    There are many different ways with different materials but this is one option.
    thanks so much! And another question, it may be stupid but I want to make sure I get it before even thinking about making one for myself. So, when you have the fluke done to make the mold you pt it in say a cardboard box and fill the box with shell shock. And when you take the clay out... You Jhabvala your mold?! seems easy. Well in making tail standards. Lol
    That awkward moment when someone says mermaids aren't real... And I'm standing right next to them...

<3 I also go by
    Mermaid Myra as that is my business persona

<strike>
    </strike>

Check out my new Instagram page! <3
    https://www.instagram.com/mermaidmyraofficial/

Come visit me on FaceBook!
    https://www.facebook.com/mermaidmyra/

Swim by my YouTube channel!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb7...J8Shs1b10Psjrg

~Formerly known as "Mermaid Nerin"~

Loving the progress so far! So I read that the Jacquard's Powder Pigments work well in silicone, has anyone ever tested them in latex? I know silicone is clear so it might work much better in silicone, however, a thin thin layer of latex laid down and then the powder worked into that layer might be nice?

@Mermaid Nerin. You should build a wall of clay about 2 in away from the sculpt so you don't waste Shell Shock. I was careful and painted the shell shock on so that it wouldn't run to far on the sides of the sculpt. You don't have to fill the whole box. If you look at the picture on the 1st page of the layer applied, you will see what I mean.

I have never used latex before but it definitely sounds like something to test out.

The fluke is really cool! I actually have a customer interested in me making an H2O style tail but with sequins. I hope she decides on it cuz i would love to take on the challenge!
    Cant wait to see yours done, keep it up!

Thanks Ilonka! Doing the h2o fluke is really fun! I hope you get the chance to do it. And btw, all your tails are so gorgeous

Daily Update- Made a duct tape dummy. All my stuff is being shipped and should come tomorrow. Silicone casting of fluke will be done tomorrow!!
    Name:  IMG_1600.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  207.6 KB

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    Duct tape is a wonderful thing.
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Daily Update- Ultracal 30 is here! Silicone trial size is here! And my big gallons of silicone and airbrush are on their way! I tested my mini fluke mold with the trial silicone. I accidentally pigmented it too much, but it still looks fine. Here is a picture right after it was poured in.
    Name:  IMG_1606.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  206.9 KB

My entire tail won't be yellow, only at some blending points, but it's the lightest color I'm using so I decided to tint my silicone that color. I'll update more along the day.

Silicone test fluke!
    Name:  IMG_1607.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  243.4 KB
    Still waiting for the big gallons.... !

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    so tiny! hehe

Lol yea Everything is here! I tried out my airbrush using dragonskin mixed with pigments and I was not happy. Obviously it's too thick for the airbrush, so I watered it down. It didn't work. I'm not sure why. I then tried mineral spirits (a paint thinner) and it worked in thinning it. But when I sprayed the airbrush it didn't have the right color, and didn't come out well. Does anyone have suggestions?

Another Update. Woahhh Progress today!
    Starting the casting!!! I decided to tint it a lighter yellow so it wouldn't affect the colors of the other paint. Im really happy and excited. I'm trying not to rush through even though it may seem like that. Here's a picture.
    Name:  IMG_1609.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  277.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1612.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  267.0 KB
    My messy workroom

Can you post pictures of the color of your test and describe how it's different from what you wanted?

When I sprayed aqua/turquoise it came out green. I believe it's because of the yellow color, yellow+blue=green. But I also had a really hard time thinning it, and I'm not sure if mineral spirits work with silicone. Most of the paint cam off. I still need to test it in water.
    Name:  IMG_1627.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  219.9 KB

Also the green didn't come out the way I wanted and when I mixed yellow it came out like slime.
    Name:  IMG_1629.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  149.2 KB