Thread: Wow. Orcas care for disabled pod members

Wow. Orcas care for disabled pod members

I found this so inspiring. If only all people would care for their own like these guys!

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013...care-their-own

Also, what an amazing job the scientist who got to be the lookout for a disabled orca has.

Lots of pictures here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...hunt-food.html
    Last edited by AptaMer; 07-13-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Senior Member Pod of Cali spottedcatfish's Avatar
    Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    Follow spottedcatfish on Tumblr Visit spottedcatfish's Youtube Channel
    That's very cool!

It's so sad there are whales in captivity. That's one of the reasons I have not visited SeaWorld - I don't want to give them my money. >:|

I did go visit one orca in captivity at the Oregon Coast Aquarium when I was much younger and didn't know any better (I think I was in 4th grade? It was 1996 I believe.) His name was Keiko and Oregon had built a facility for him to rehabilitate him and return him to the wild. He did manage to make it to the wild but he died in 2003 I think. Knowing that the state did its best for his best interests makes me very happy.

I remember Keiko being very friendly. The children at the glass, myself included, would wave to him and he'd wiggle his pectoral fin back at us. I don't know if it was intentional but I like to think he was greeting us too.

Keiko was the Orca they used for the filming of Free Willy. From what I gathered (since I was young, too) the movie showed that whales have personalities (duh! lol) and a lot of people protested the catching and captivity of whales then.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Aww, ohmygoodness that's so awesome! I didn't realize my new local aquarium was the one Keiko was in... glad they don't have any whales or anything anymore though

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)