Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adult (custom) Fin Fun tail?

Well crap I made a thread hoping for these types of responses so I guess I didnt look hard enough anyway Im a curvy mer I take a size 14 at least so would I have to custom order a tail from them or would the medium work? or the small?

See I want to get one of these tails for my first tail but I have some worries about it lol

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of The South

It really all depends on the measurements and how stretchy the material is to your shape. I'm 200+ lbs but only 5'3" - still well within the height ratio for the adult Medium tail. So go by your height as the deciding factor...

Here's what I found out from my experience:

Finfun Adult size M tail flat Measurements vs My flat measurements (measurements around point, then divided by 2)
    Measure Width Length to next point Length from waist
    point finfun M Me finfun M Me finfun M Me
    Waist 15 19.5 9 7 0 0
    Hips 17.5 23.5 12 15 9 7
    Knees 10.5 14.25 5.5 4.5 21 22
    Calves 9.5 13.75 11 7 26.5 26.5
    Ankles 8 8.25 18.5 24 37.5 33.5
    Tail 22 33 0 0 56 57.5

So as you can see from the chart, their tail fabric has a lot of stretch to it, as the only places I've had any problem getting the tail on is at the calves area since FinFun tails go from knees to ankles without accommodating athletic calves as a separate measuring point like the non fabric type tails will do... but that is ok since it helps bind my human legs into one part like I want it to be.

The fabric does not have an interior lining. The waist is also still a bit loose feeling, even for a 4.5" flat stretch.

Worse case scenario is that you end up having to send back the premanufactured tail for a custom one.

Junior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Labrynth's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Labrynth on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidMerida View Post
    Well crap I made a thread hoping for these types of responses so I guess I didnt look hard enough anyway Im a curvy mer I take a size 14 at least so would I have to custom order a tail from them or would the medium work? or the small?

See I want to get one of these tails for my first tail but I have some worries about it lol
    Hi hun, did you read my reply?

"Im a curvy Australian size 14 and i went with a size small, it fits great"
    Im 160cm = 5.2 and i still have alot of extra material above my waist and it does stretch a bit after a few wears, there is alot of origial stretch anyways in the material both directions, length/width. If you are larger than a size 14 then go for a medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Labrynth View Post
    Hi hun, did you read my reply?

"Im a curvy Australian size 14 and i went with a size small, it fits great"
    Im 160cm = 5.2 and i still have alot of extra material above my waist and it does stretch a bit after a few wears, there is alot of origial stretch anyways in the material both directions, length/width. If you are larger than a size 14 then go for a medium.
    I wear from a 13 to a 15 and am between 4"11 and 5"1 depending on shoes but from what you have said a small should work for my chubbyness and stuff so thanks

I just posted my video review of the new insert, comparing it to the old one.

https://youtu.be/_EklvAyTS8A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm so glad you posted that video review! I love the overal design of the fin fun pro monofin. I have the old lexan insert, and I am really wanting something with more stiffness. I also have a Finis Rapid but it won't fit into the fin fun fabric tail I have. I tried gluing a piece of acrylic sheet that I had lying around to the back of the lexan insert in attempts to stiffen it, but it made the insert a bit too heavy and plus, it cracked (the acrylic only) so I removed it. So now I am wondering which the best option would be:

a) try getting another insert and putting a complete double inside the neoprene (and redoing the stretched out spandex ankle pieces) but I'm a little concerned it will be too heavy still. Not sure which insert combo to go with, two lexans, or a rubber and a lexan?! Any thoughts on how this might work princess pearl?!

b) get some pink fabric and having my seamstress rip out some of the stitching on the tail and enlarge it a bit to fit my Rapid.

I attached a paint drawing of the original lexan insert (black), and the acrylic modification I glued to one side of it. Note that the acrylic did not extend all the way up to the heels. this resulted in a more pronounced bending of the insert at that point. It did crack so I removed it and am back to square one.
    Any insights would be MOST appreciated!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Would love to meet local freedivers and mer-folk!

Senior Member Pod of the Midwest
    Pod of the Great Lakes
    Add Merman Chatfish on Facebook
    Add Merman Chatfish on Linkedin Visit Merman Chatfish's Youtube Channel
    I just got my FinFun today and even wearing it now as I type this. I plan to swim with it tomorrow but already I am fairly happy with it. I did a custom order because I am 6'4. I think I measured wrong (I did do it on myself) as the fabric comes about 2 inches above my belly button. I wish there was a ProPro version of the monofin, I have really massive feet and they are hard to get into the pockets.

After swimming tomorrow I will write a full review.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    How weird in sizes from reading the previous posts...

I am a skinny size 12 in ladies pants, have a size L adult tail, and it just fits perfectly. I say just, because the waist was a bit too loose, I fixed it up with an elastic waist so its all good now. The rest of the tail fits fine. Not baggy or too tight. They might have adjusted their sizes? I dunno. I only have one tail and several tankini sets by Fin Fun.

Must add too that I am 5'9 in height. Quite tall so I assume having a larger size tail will fit long legged merfolk, after all, it is 4 way stretch!
    Formerly known as ireneho