Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Performances?

Performances?

Heya everyone,

I was wondering if anyone performs (mermaiding) out and about in Texas? Would love to go see. I am interested in getting into performing and making appearances but I never go into anything blind or without making sure I won't make a fool of myself. ;D
    Last edited by Blaze; 08-30-2011 at 09:24 AM.

I perform with my dance company, not sure if that's what you meant. We do a fall show, Nutcracker, and a spring show
    Mermaid Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jewel View Post
    I perform with my dance company, not sure if that's what you meant. We do a fall show, Nutcracker, and a spring show
    Ahh, I love the Nutcracker. I use to watch my best friend perform every year we where in jr high and high school, now he dances professionally in NYC. It's funny though, I don't remember there being any mermaid characters ;P

Haha no but there's Lemonade sea. I was just shamelessly self-promoting my company. I'm not sure we have any professional mers out here, unfortunately. But if there are, let me know because I'd love to see it too. But seriously, if anyone's interested in seeing my show... xD
    Last edited by Mermaid Jewel; 08-30-2011 at 07:46 AM.
    Mermaid Jewel

And to be honest, I was super tired and delirious last night lol. Ignore a lot of things I said xD And I feel kinda embarrassed for totally misreading that
    Last edited by Mermaid Jewel; 08-30-2011 at 08:08 AM.
    Mermaid Jewel

No I'm not talking about any kind of performances; I'm talking specifically about mermaiding. Sorry I wasn't clear on that. I do plenty of performing already; belly dance, burlesque and lots of medieval reenactment so I'm no stranger to the stage (just the pool)! ;D
    Last edited by Blaze; 08-30-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Taylor is a Mermaid's Avatar
    I don't think we have any professional mermaids in the area. I've looked around, but I haven't seen anything.

Oh I was just thinking about this a few weeks ago. Do you think it would be interesting to maybe form a small performing group? At least if some of us want to start out since we'd all be starting together and have a "support" group while performing. Not sure if I would do it right now, per se, but throwing it out there.

I don't think we do either. My friend's sisters had a mer at their party but they had to fly her in from like Florida
    Mermaid Jewel

id join, or at least come see it

Member Pod of Texas mermaid_ashes's Avatar
    Add mermaid_ashes on Facebook
    bumping this slightly old thread to the top to ask...who is performing in Texas as mermaids now? Have you had any mermaid gigs Blaze?

I know one of the tail makers is actually the new performing mermaid at Austin aquarium, so that's cool. Haven't gotten out to see her yet. Anyone else?

Heya!

I have indeed had a few gigs but nothing permanent. Was doing princess parties for a little while but it didn't work out. Is there info online about the mermaid in Austin anywhere?

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mary Marine's Avatar
    I don't plan on going pro (and I'm defining pro by paying gigs), but I do want to do public appearances at festivals and in parades in the future. Mostly for my own amusement, but who knows? Maybe I'l get job offers that way. I did buy Raina's book, so if I ever want to go pro I have all all the info!
    "I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living." — Anaïs Nin

Member Pod of Texas mermaid_ashes's Avatar
    Add mermaid_ashes on Facebook
    http://www.austinaquarium.com/activi...-the-aquarium/ Kept meaning to come back here to post this. Its this tailmker https://www.facebook.com/Sirenalia and two other mermaids. I'm going to start doing swimming mermaid parties with my princess company this year. or hope to anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    Heya!

I have indeed had a few gigs but nothing permanent. Was doing princess parties for a little while but it didn't work out. Is there info online about the mermaid in Austin anywhere?
    I was just reading through threads to get to know the MerFolks around me and I saw this one.

Blaze have you thought to ask Sea Life Aquarium in Grapevine if they would ever want a Mermaid to make an appearance for any of their special events. I have a pass for there and they have some great spots for photos.

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidAmbrGlow View Post
    I was just reading through threads to get to know the MerFolks around me and I saw this one.

Blaze have you thought to ask Sea Life Aquarium in Grapevine if they would ever want a Mermaid to make an appearance for any of their special events. I have a pass for there and they have some great spots for photos.
    Honestly I didn't even know it was there! I will definitely send them a message! Updating my mermaid portfolio asap.

Honestly I didn't even know it was there! I will definitely send them a message! Updating my mermaid portfolio asap.
    -laughs- If you ever wanna meet there to check it out I get 6 friends in for just $10...and I've not used any of them yet this year.

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidAmbrGlow View Post
    -laughs- If you ever wanna meet there to check it out I get 6 friends in for just $10...and I've not used any of them yet this year.
    Well that sounds like a Pod meetup if I ever heard one. ;D

Well that sounds like a Pod meetup if I ever heard one. ;D
    I'm game.
    "Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical." ~Sophia Loren

Sessilee means "Blind to Self Beauty"

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MermaidSessilee
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/SessileeStrfish

Formerly known as MermaidAmbrGlow

(I'm catching up on old threads.)

I'm a professional performing mermaid, based in Arlington (DFW). We can appear in our tank as well as appearing in provided waters (i.e. pools, lakes, rivers, etc) and we also built a dry photo booth set (giant clam with pearl ottomans, treasure chest, etc). We're called MerFriends (webpage being built.) It's a group of mers (men and maids) that work individually on our own gigs and share gigs we can't/won't do, the cost of vendor booths we all appear at, and work together for large events like conventions, fairs, etc that want more than one mer. My mer-apprentice, Lorens, and I are working on a full show with stories, songs, demonstrations, and a little lesson about water safety/water responsibility. Finally, we will have an online store, The Merket, where we sell mermaid themed items including t-shirts, bags, jewelry, swimming tops, etc. This store will be "set up" at conventions and mer-meetups, when appropriate, but otherwise will stay online. We'll ship our stuff anywhere! :-) (We're also developing the Mercademy in Arlington, a mer-training program. But that's a different post.)
    Laura the Mermaid of The MerFriends
    www.LauraLWatson.com
    www.TheMerFriends.com
    Info@TheMerFriends.com

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Awesome