Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New girl :0

Senior Member Pod of Oceania mermaidwhisperer's Avatar
    Follow mermaidwhisperer On Twitter Add mermaidwhisperer on Facebook Add mermaidwhisperer on Google+
    Follow mermaidwhisperer on Tumblr

New girl :0

Hi How's it going? I'm brand new. And totally lost, ha ha. Um my name is Samantha, I'm 30 years old and I'm from Mackay in North Queensland (whoops better throw 'Australia' in there too). I live literally on The Great Barrier Reef-my town has 11 beaches, so I've been a mermaid fanatic since I was a little girl. I've become intrigued by the whole concept of cosplay due to some research I've done lately for a book I've written. Cosplay, mermaids-biology and genealogy and I just spent the weekend (in a professional sense) with Dr Tony Aysling, a marine biologist for the Great Barrier Reef at a Writer's Conference in the Whitsunday's and interviewed him to get some facts straight about the stuff I touch on in my book.
    He's been featured on heaps of television shows for getting attacked by a CROCODILE of all things, on the GBR. Fascinating man.
    As for my book, I've written a modern-day mermaid trilogy called 'The Marked Ones' and have just published it on Amazon. Not trying to spam-lol-I won't post links or anything. It's been only two weeks since I've released it and my life has revolved around it since December '09 so it's basically all I can talk about right now. Came very close to getting published, but I couldn't find an agent who was willing to take a risk on a mermaid story targeted at adults instead of YA. Those same agents will be kicking themselves when they see the sales figures so far My trilogy references the effects of global warming etc on the ocean so that's why I was hunting down a marine biologist
    I'm also a surfer (in fact I came up with the story after a tiger-shark encounter) a former cheerleading flyer/coach, a mummy of three beautiful girls and happily married.
    Anyway add me if you'd like. I'd like to know if any of the 'real' mermaids on here have platforms for the environment My little girls love mermaids too, and they are begging me for tails, lol, so some pointers there would help.
    ALSO I am trying to track down 3 necklaces with a Whelk shell on them-it's a symbol from my book I'd love to gift to some close friends who have been championing it non-stop.

Welcome. We always need more writers.

Don't worry about promoting your book. It's perfectly legit.
    Alveric

For my novel, The Accidental Mermaid, go to http://mermaidsofxanadu.com/
    Coming in 2014: ​Spindrift

wow, It sounds like you've had a fantastically full life already, that's the kind of story I want to be able to tell when I'm 30.
    I have an underwater video camera, you have a tail. How about we get together and get it ooon?

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    HI! I'm Dottie. I'm going to call you Whisper, okay? I think that's a cute name for a mermaid.
    Welcome to the forum!
    I can't wait to hear more about your story! I'm a huge fan of Alveric's, So don't be surprised if I turn into a huge fangirl. ^_^
    I have baby boy who is nearly one, and I constantly put him in tails for pictures.
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    Welcome to the forum, Whisper! :3
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

Welcome!

Welcome! ^_^ You sound absolutely amazing! So glad you've found our community.

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Explore the S.E.A. with me!
    Facebook

Senior Member Pod of The South Marlin's Avatar
    Add Marlin on Facebook
    Welcome to the site! Hoping one day to be able to head down to Australia someday-
    Even mermaids need tech support.

Pod of Texas

Add Mermaid~Summer on Facebook
    Welcome! I'm going to have to check out your book I looked at it on amazon and it looks pretty cool
    [B][FONT=book antiqua]~Summer[/FONT][/B]

Follow mermaidwhisperer On Twitter Add mermaidwhisperer on Facebook Add mermaidwhisperer on Google+
    Alveric-You're a writer too? That's fantastic. I haven't read ANY mermaid books. I really didn't want to have anyone else's idea in my head while I was thinking of my own. Now that I'm published however, I've got a to-read list starting Will have to add yours in.

Warm welcomes:)

Thanks for the welcomes guys! It'll be hard for me to post in good timing-given the time difference. I just woke up!
    I like 'Whisper'.
    I hope actual mermaids like my story. From what I've heard, I've come at it from a fairly different angle than most. I wrote what I dreamed of mermaids to be-but it's taking off like wildfire just 2 weeks in so hopefully I've done something right!
    Australia is lovely. All mermaids should migrate here.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mermaidwhisperer; 07-20-2013 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Pic too big

Welcome fellow writer and mermaid to the mer-network!

By the way, my son-in-law is from Sippy Downs (Near Brisbane).
    Alveric

For my novel, The Accidental Mermaid, go to http://mermaidsofxanadu.com/
    Coming in 2014: ​Spindrift

Most of my family is from Brisbane. Once upon a time, I was too

Welcome! It's always great to hear of people who love to write stuff focused on mers.

OMG OMG just got a rave review from a critic! YES!!! He had issues with some typo things but I got 4/5 tails! Sitting in front of my P.C CRYING, lol!

Pod of Texas

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwhisperer View Post
    OMG OMG just got a rave review from a critic! YES!!! He had issues with some typo things but I got 4/5 tails! Sitting in front of my P.C CRYING, lol!
    Awwww, Congrats!!!!!

I was just featured in a mermaid blog 'Splash into Summer' Ya-hoo!

http://abackwardsstory.blogspot.com....rked-ones.html

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    This is so epic to see your reactions to your work being posted.
    Also, Alveric, I had a chance to share your novel last night, I went to a Cancer Relay, in tail, and some Star Wars cosplayers showed up. ^_^ I felt like I was at Xanadu!
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Pod of Texas

Hey Whisper, I bought ur book! I'm still on the first chapter but so far I like it