Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mer-Resort Planning Committee

Senior Member Pod of The South Marlin's Avatar
    Add Marlin on Facebook

Mer-Resort Planning Committee

For anyone who was following the 24 Million dollar swimming hole thread (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...hlight=million)- We discussed the possibilities of combining funds between several mers and buying a resort type area for mers to congregate at.

This thread is here to further those long term goals by keeping an eye out for deals on potential swim spots for the mer community.

I do apologize in advance to our over-seas mers- this one is gonna be for the continental US.

If you have any leads, or would like to be a part of this endeavor- please let us know!

Thanks-
    Even mermaids need tech support.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    This is awesome. If/when I have decent monies, I will surely donate to the cause

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    Actually....
    http://swimpond.com/

I stumbled across this earlier today. I've decided I have to have one someday.
    Basically it's a pool that looks like a natural swimming hole. So we don't even really have to find a spot; we can actually just build one.
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    That swim pond thing is pretty cool!

My protection on my computer blocked it. Could someone post pictures of it on here?

Here's a few estates with privates lakes on their properties for sale:

-27245 Lotus Pond Escondido, California: $2,499,999
    Name:  256223-450x300.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  56.2 KB"The 5 bedroom, 6000 square foot home is on 13 acres including a 2.5 acre private lake. The lake homes ducks, fishes, turtles and the Lotus flowers that bloom once a year..."
    Despite the small amount of bedrooms there's plenty of space to reconstruct to better suit needs.

-Bandera, Texas $8,000,000
    Name:  219539_1-400x300.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  37.5 KB
    "Placed on 1,200 acres in Bandera, Texas, there is a 2,000 square foot lodge with 2 bedrooms and one bath as well as 10 completely furnished guest cabins plus Recreational Vehicle & camping sites. The lake itself is 47 acres but if the lake is too cold, there is a pool and a pool house where you can hang with a Long Island and relax. The property features a tack and feed barn, an outdoor barbeque, a bunkhouse and a game prep facility."

-Tamaroa, Illinois $1,500,000
    Name:  dsc05752resize2-400x300.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  33.5 KB
    "In Tamaroa, Illinois, you could live next to TWO private lakes (one 16 acres and the other 8 acres) and your own pool. The need for two lakes (let alone a pool alongside) seems strange but if you are the type of person who can’t get enough lake, here it is. The 5145 square foot home with three bedrooms and three bathrooms, features a 15×58+ screen room, huge dining area, jacuzzi, turret room & steam room. And two lakes."

-Weir Lake/Private Lake: Muskoka, Ontario, Canada: $1,195,000
    "The Weir Lake property is 291 acres with a private lake of about 90 acres...Weir Lake is 30 feet deep with varied shoreline and numerous topographical features including some shallows at the south end, a huge marsh to the east side of the lake excellent for waterfowl and moose viewing, a small secluded bay with a beaver dam on the west side where the lake empties, and numerous rocky outcroppings. There are several islands. There is a small nature pond on the property just south of the lake. Weir Lake is its own headwater, and is spring and marsh stream fed, but with no possibility of the water being sullied from any source (see topographical map or ask us). There is excellent access to the water where the road reaches the shoreline, with a flat rock gradually descending into the water, and just off to the side, a small sand beach gently sloping into the water. There are excellent building sites and one in particular where the road comes in, which, with the select clearing of some smaller trees and shrubs, would offer a magnificent view of almost the entire lake."
    http://www.luxuryrealestate.com/resi...ontario-canada

-63 acre private estate with 10 acre lake. Barnesville, Pennsylvania: $899,900
    http://www.lakehouse.com/page-211231.html

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Man, that one in tx sounds like we wouldn't need to change a thing! Cabins, campsites, a lodge, and a lake? Sounds awesome to me. So expensive though :/

Muskoka? Really?? I live in Ontario 0-0 I was totally unawares !!
    The SeaGlass Siren

Though I agree with Dottie, we could just build one.. That way if we have a specific design. We want we can totally make it..

Whoa deja vu
    The SeaGlass Siren

Huh, I've been to Muskoka as well, and it is beautiful... though wouldn't Canada be more limited in swim times due to climate? I'd imagine something further south would attract more guests throughout the year.

We have indoor pools as well lol! I think in banff there's a natural hotspring in the winter time people can sswim in.

I agree though. One central hotspot for all the mers.

If we were all super rich billionaires I'd have one built in Canada too .. Like a pond that acts as a hotspring and a natural water hole for us to swim in during summer months
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of Texas

Add Mermaid~Summer on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Dottie View Post
    Actually....
    http://swimpond.com/

I stumbled across this earlier today. I've decided I have to have one someday.
    Basically it's a pool that looks like a natural swimming hole. So we don't even really have to find a spot; we can actually just build one.
    OMG When my husband and I move to Texas and buy a house we are building a Swim Pond! This is the greatest thing I have ever seen!! It's a perfect mermaid habitat!!
    [B][FONT=book antiqua]~Summer[/FONT][/B]

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mary Marine's Avatar
    I may be biased because I live in Texas, but I think Texas or another big southern state would work well. Land is relatively cheap compared to other states and there's a long summer, almost too long. There's a lot of lake houses around, but I like the idea of building pools on site somewhere more out of the way. Something eco friendly, like the swim ponds or salt water pools.

Senior Member Pod of The South Marlin's Avatar
    Add Marlin on Facebook
    @Joy&Raptors & SeaGlass Siren & Mary Marine- I hadn't considered the possibility of having an indoor area for bad/cold weather swimming. Thanks for the suggestion!

Keep the ideas and the leads coming you guys are awesome!
    Even mermaids need tech support.

What if we bought land in Texas and created an indoor-outdoor swim pond? From my understanding, the plants in the swim pond are separate from the actual swimming area. So the plants and part of the swim area could be outside, and another part of the swim area inside in case weather isn't the best. Plus, the building could double as a resort of sorts.

EDIT: here's a link that has a lot of information on swim ponds and the construction if you're interested: http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/natural-swimming-pool.aspx#axzz2a41xSu8W

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Continental US, eh? What's our budget, how developed should the property be, freshwater or salt, and does it need to be near an airport?

Hangover island (FL) - 40 acres (located on the Saint Martins River), $300K

Bell Island (NC) - 62 acres (located in Core Sound), $895K

Dolphin Jump Key - half-acre (Florida Keys), $995K
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Are those islands buildable? I know a lot if the smaller and lower priced islands aren't, so we wouldn't be able to have a living/resting area.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mary Marine's Avatar
    The islands sounds nice, but would require a lot more work. You wouldn't be able to have a marina on them so everyone would have to take a boat shuttle to the island. All the building materials and resort supplies would have to be shipped in as well.

Why not have both salt water freshwater, AND a hot tub?
    The SeaGlass Siren

We'd have to take our tails off for the hot tub, but it'd be relaxing.