Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mer-Resort Planning Committee

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    I was under the impression that full silicone tails are ok in a hot tub? I mean, there's silicone cookware out now, that can go in the HOT oven.

An indoor oasis seems like a good option right now since it protects you from any weather (except tornadoes)
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mary Marine's Avatar
    Indoor and outdoor pools seems good. I've seen places with indoor pools that connect outside, you just duck under the wall or swim through a short tunnel. It could have a divider so in bad weather the outside section could be closed off. Then you could also clean each section of the pool at different times.

Another thing to think of is how to get everyone in and out of the pool once in a tail if there aren't any mertenders handy. They make lifts for handicapped people to get in and out of pools that are basically chairs that lower into the water. The local senior center has one for their pool, in addition to a long pool ramp and plastic wheel chair. If you're going to make the resort handicapped accessible anyway, you might as well have it double as "mermaid accessible."

Here's a chair lift:

Name:  ProPoolLift_lg.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  33.5 KB

And a PVC pipe pool wheelchair:
    Name:  hd-pool-access-chair.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  11.9 KB

Or we could have the type of pool that has a 'beach' area, where the bottom slopes up until the water is only a few inches deep. We could pull on tails there, and sort of roll out into deeper water, lol.

What about a hydraulic system for the bottom of the pool? The floor can be lifted and lowered to adjust how deep the pool is. It'd be expensive though and would probably rule out the whole swimming pond/natural feel. Just an idea though.

I just had a thought... What about for every continent/ country we have a swimming hole to go to when we see each other?? Canadians can have a lake and arctic theme water hole, USA can have an oasis paradise And Mayan/inca/ Atlantis theme, European pod can have a turn of the century pirate theme 0-0

Aaaaaaand now my mind is sgjffjkidc
    The SeaGlass Siren

So for the winter months, us Canadians can visit you guys, and summer u can visit Canada and Europe to stay cool during summer!
    The SeaGlass Siren

OH OH OH complete with WATER SLIDES and artificial HOtSPRING
    The SeaGlass Siren

for the arctic theme pool, i was thinking we could have like lamposts that change colour too that kinda remind us of the aurora borealis at night when we swim ^o^

swamp mermaiding anyone??

The SeaGlass Siren

I like the beach slope idea, though the mental image of a bunch of mermaids rolling and flopping into deeper water is pretty funny!

It would be kind of neat to have multiple resorts, but until we can get one off the ground we should probably focus on just one and what we envision it to be. So far we've got indoor and outdoor pools and a hottub. Maybe one traditional looking pool and one or two more natural ones? I like the idea of a cave or grotto inspired pool. Maybe you get to it by swimming under a waterfall?

What size pools are we looking at? Obviously it needs to be big and deep enough to comfortably swim in a tail. Probably not olympic size, but big enough to keep a bunch of mers from swimming into each other. From what everyone has suggested this is what sounds good to me:

1 main pool, probably outdoors, with a beach so we can roll into the water. Chlorine or salt water?

1 smaller indoor pool for bad weather. Could be designed to look like a cave? Maybe connects with larger beach pool but can be closed off?

1 smaller outdoor pond pool with the natural plant filtration system.

1 hot tub, maybe styled like arctic hot springs.

Love the cave/grotto pool idea! I've always thought secret caves behind waterfalls were so enchanting.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel

for something like this, Iceland is ideal.
    Hot springs surrounded by ice and snow everywhere, and polar lights to boot

And this is the newest fad; natural swimming pools, or swimming ponds.
    Come in a variety of designs (totally lake-like, pond-like, or more pool-designy with underwater lights and heating, but emerald, lake-like water), and are not that much more expensive than a normal pool.

If there's a wish in the community for mer hang-outs- one in every country would be neat-, it'd not be impossible to build them.

Senior Member Pod of The South Marlin's Avatar
    Add Marlin on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Aziara View Post
    Or we could have the type of pool that has a 'beach' area, where the bottom slopes up until the water is only a few inches deep. We could pull on tails there, and sort of roll out into deeper water, lol.
    I like this idea. It wouldn't be that hard to incorporate into the design for a pool, and would serve a very practical purpose.
    Even mermaids need tech support.

Gaaaasp I love the cave grotto idea tooooo!!!
    The SeaGlass Siren

I don't even think we need a hot tub, (but that's me, haha, I'm sure it would depend on where the big resort was located too! xD). Just way cool scenery with the waterfalls and rocks and such. A sandy bottom pool with the special filters would be awesome too, especially if you wanted to pretend being in the ocean or something.

Hot spring or a warm pool, I'd like to have if We ever have a Canada spot cuz it gets cold here. xD
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    First of all, now I actually want to own a house because I NEED A SWIM POND in my life.

1 main pool, probably outdoors, with a beach so we can roll into the water. Chlorine or salt water? Salt Water!

1 smaller indoor pool for bad weather. Could be designed to look like a cave? Maybe connects with larger beach pool but can be closed off? I like this idea, especially if it's a grotto.

1 smaller outdoor pond pool with the natural plant filtration system. YES.

1 hot tub, maybe styled like arctic hot springs.Totally. I think a nice hot springs would be the way to go for relaxing at the end of the day! I can attest to the fact that hot springs work best when surrounded by snow, LOL - I hail from Colorado, and hot tubs + snow = magical!

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of Texas

Add Mermaid~Summer on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Mermaid View Post
    First of all, now I actually want to own a house because I NEED A SWIM POND in my life.

1 main pool, probably outdoors, with a beach so we can roll into the water. Chlorine or salt water? Salt Water!

1 smaller indoor pool for bad weather. Could be designed to look like a cave? Maybe connects with larger beach pool but can be closed off? I like this idea, especially if it's a grotto.

1 smaller outdoor pond pool with the natural plant filtration system. YES.

1 hot tub, maybe styled like arctic hot springs.Totally. I think a nice hot springs would be the way to go for relaxing at the end of the day! I can attest to the fact that hot springs work best when surrounded by snow, LOL - I hail from Colorado, and hot tubs + snow = magical!
    I say make the Largest pool the Swim Pond. Naturally purified water and it can be up to 15 feet deep. The plant area doesn't even have to be right near the swimming area, it can be separate. I would rather not have to deal with chlorine. Maybe there could be a waterfall and a rock ledge with a closeable hatch or something that you swim under going from the outdoor pool to the indoor pool and I love the grotto idea
    [B][FONT=book antiqua]~Summer[/FONT][/B]

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    Okay, Everymer! Hubby and I went to a hotel in Park City Wednesday night, Mountain Time. They have an indoor pool that connects to an outdoor pool, with two hot tubs off to the side, and it happens to stay open ALL NIGHT LONG!
    I went tail swimming under a(n almost) full moon at midnight. The rejuvenation was finominal.
    If you visit Utah, stay at Park City Peaks Hotel.
    (PS I was their first mermaid!)
    Name:  -visit_to_Park_City_Peaks_-20000000002442306-500x375.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  102.1 KBName:  6209_64_b.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  15.1 KB
    Name:  hotel-park-city-peaks-pool_1298.jpg
Views: 1569
Size:  72.3 KB
    Just look at that sky!!!
    Last edited by Mermaid Dottie; 07-27-2013 at 08:26 PM.
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.