Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mer-Resort Planning Committee

Senior Member Pod of Oceania mermaidwhisperer's Avatar
    Follow mermaidwhisperer On Twitter Add mermaidwhisperer on Facebook Add mermaidwhisperer on Google+
    Follow mermaidwhisperer on Tumblr
    What a great idea! I'd try that here if I could-the resort I set my series in is always changing hands. Too bad there are only 6 Aussie Mermaids on here!

I think it's just me and aptamer hailing from Toronto and we haven't met yet
    The SeaGlass Siren

IM OBSESSED WITH INDOOR-OUTDOOR POOLS OMG!!!! Such a childhood memory right there. In Beckley, West Virginia there is a country inn and suites with an indoor-outdoor pool Basically the coolest thing ever. We need one of those. Location-wise I do agree with something southern (in the US) because it could be used year-round for the indoor and most of the year for the outdoor. This would be like the coolest thing EVER. When I'm an orthodontist living with my rich husband (hypothetical dream lol) in north carolina, I will totally contribute to this. OOH THIS WOULD BE FUN TO MAKE ON THE SIMS!!
    Mermaids have more fun

If you can't donate can you still come?
    That awkward moment when someone says mermaids aren't real... And I'm standing right next to them...

<3 I also go by
    Mermaid Myra as that is my business persona

<strike>
    </strike>

Check out my new Instagram page! <3
    https://www.instagram.com/mermaidmyraofficial/

Come visit me on FaceBook!
    https://www.facebook.com/mermaidmyra/

Swim by my YouTube channel!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb7...J8Shs1b10Psjrg

~Formerly known as "Mermaid Nerin"~

Senior Member Pod of The South Marlin's Avatar
    Add Marlin on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Caspiana View Post
    If you can't donate can you still come?
    OF COURSE! (granted... it doesn't exist yet...)

I think the way we are pushing to handle donations (when the time comes) is that when you donate a certain percentage, you own a segment of the business. (IMO)- I would like to do it sort of like a kick-starter with scaled rewards. So a contribution of X Dollars gets you Y and a donation of Z gets you something else.

other opinions?
    Even mermaids need tech support.

What about we design the indoor outdoor pool like a cave grotto ? Indoor can be like rocky and sparkly or glowy and outside can lead out to a waterfall looking pond thing?

Indoor Canadian wouldn't be so bad either..what about an indoor ice cavern? Like in fantasia 2000 with the flying whales?
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    OF COURSE! (granted... it doesn't exist yet...)

I think the way we are pushing to handle donations (when the time comes) is that when you donate a certain percentage, you own a segment of the business. (IMO)- I would like to do it sort of like a kick-starter with scaled rewards. So a contribution of X Dollars gets you Y and a donation of Z gets you something else.

other opinions?
    I guess whatever percent of the purchase price you front, you would own that percent of the resort? For me it might end up being a tenth of a percent, lol, I don't have mucho monies.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

I'm saving for my wedding, honeymoon and house right now. And I also plan on taking scuba lessons in the far future but let's say we contribute a few dollars every month until the day we can afford to build an awesome pool... A x 12 = B. B x Y (amount of years) = Z. Z x C (amount of people willing to contribute) ... Do we have a deadline?
    The SeaGlass Siren

I think to get the pool we want with an indoor cove thing, we'd have to have like a million bucks. Minus labour fees..

So let's say a mill. divided by XAmount of contributors... Not factoring generous people.

1 000 000 000.00 / 5000 = 2 hundred per person. Yikes. We don't even have 500 people 0-0
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mary Marine's Avatar
    Here's an important question: is this resort mers only or open to the public? Because public funding may be important both for getting it off the ground and maintaining it. Maybe if you donate X amount you can get a free or half price stay? The more money you donate the more discount you get, like half price stays for 4 people. Smaller donations could get things named after them or a plaque saying "this bench/fishtank/equipment/whatever was purchased with the generous donation of Mr. Squarepants."

Too keep it from be overrun by non-mers crowding us out of our own resort I think a limit should be set for visitors, like what they do for national parks. Reservations would have to be made in advance and depending on the size of the resort X number of people could stay at one time + unlimited mers. It could be closed to the public at certain times too if a gathering was being held.

Senior Member Pod of The South Marlin's Avatar
    Add Marlin on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaGlass Siren View Post
    I think to get the pool we want with an indoor cove thing, we'd have to have like a million bucks. Minus labour fees..

So let's say a mill. divided by XAmount of contributors... Not factoring generous people.

1 000 000 000.00 / 5000 = 2 hundred per person. Yikes. We don't even have 500 people 0-0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Marine View Post
    Here's an important question: is this resort mers only or open to the public? Because public funding may be important both for getting it off the ground and maintaining it. Maybe if you donate X amount you can get a free or half price stay? The more money you donate the more discount you get, like half price stays for 4 people. Smaller donations could get things named after them or a plaque saying "this bench/fishtank/equipment/whatever was purchased with the generous donation of Mr. Squarepants."

Too keep it from be overrun by non-mers crowding us out of our own resort I think a limit should be set for visitors, like what they do for national parks. Reservations would have to be made in advance and depending on the size of the resort X number of people could stay at one time + unlimited mers. It could be closed to the public at certain times too if a gathering was being held.

Both very good points. Overhead on this project would be huge. That is one of the reasons I don't like the idea of starting from scratch and custom building the whole site- it would be outrageously expensive. This Isn't something that needs to be launched for a while.

And opening it up to the public is a hit or miss kinda thing... on one hand, we want a place for mers to go and relax. However, opening it to the pubic brings in more money. Mary; your idea to do a split kind of thing might be what eventually works.
    Even mermaids need tech support.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Both very good points. Overhead on this project would be huge. That is one of the reasons I don't like the idea of starting from scratch and custom building the whole site- it would be outrageously expensive. This Isn't something that needs to be launched for a while.

And opening it up to the public is a hit or miss kinda thing... on one hand, we want a place for mers to go and relax. However, opening it to the pubic brings in more money. Mary; your idea to do a split kind of thing might be what eventually works.
    well how about we make it like the MTV awards thing?

have people visit but in the VIP area u get to hang with mermaids and relax with them? that way we'd be working AND relaxing at the same time? also good for profit if we wanted to expand or buy out places to do conservation work...? *imaginative but i dont think it'll work.. but just throwing it out there*
    The SeaGlass Siren

I know it's not south, but if we're doing an indoor-outdoor thing, the property in Indiana mentioned in the previous post is still up for grabs. And it's kinda for sale / currently in the hands of a mer (me), which is a bigger step than we've got for the other properties. It's also WAY less expensive than the other ones.
    Nashoba - The Native American Mermaid's Facebook

Ka-Powell Entertainement

"The difference between a net that catches you and a hammock that cradles you is your perspective."
    -Nashoba

Quote Originally Posted by VisionaryBri View Post
    I know it's not south, but if we're doing an indoor-outdoor thing, the property in Indiana mentioned in the previous post is still up for grabs. And it's kinda for sale / currently in the hands of a mer (me), which is a bigger step than we've got for the other properties. It's also WAY less expensive than the other ones.
    THAT'S PRETTY SOUTH FOR ME LOL..

but i do like that idea too..
    The SeaGlass Siren

Here is a bird's eye view of the property. To the bottom of the photo, you'll see a house. There are two trees standing alone just up in the pic from that. The property extends from the far side of those 2 trees, all the way to the next house. There's a spring on this property and that's a HUGE parking lot across the street. Property is undeveloped except for a small storage shed and some fruit trees on it.

Name:  bir's eye view.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  32.4 KB

Ka-Powell Entertainement

"The difference between a net that catches you and a hammock that cradles you is your perspective."
    -Nashoba

2nd pic with property shaded. It's 3 "lots."
    Name:  birds eye view shaded.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  45.1 KB

Ka-Powell Entertainement

-Nashoba

thats some pretty big property!!
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mary Marine's Avatar
    A few more thoughts: would this place be like a water park or a resort with places to stay? A resort hotel would be a much bigger undertaking. A mermaid water park is a more doable goal.

In addition to the pools there would need to a a few buildings like a locker room with bathrooms and changing rooms. Then a building with offices for the park manager, lifeguards, and maintenance crew. Finally a storage building for maintenance equipment, pool chemicals, etc. Some picnic areas would also be nice, maybe with pavilions that could be used to parties. If the park is open to the public, a gift shop selling mermaid and ocean themed nicknacks is a must! It could also sell things made by mers.

Well why not purchase a nice big house then with guest rooms and then build a pool outside connectin to the house instead? That way we own the property and we can try to rent it out like a cottage.

That way we got our own private space and all we have to worry about is property taxes. That Indiana spot looks pretty good though.
    The SeaGlass Siren

Nice sufficient amount if space, we could add some more foliage to make it more private... And the house can be a guet house that we can renovate and add an indoor cave cove attachment thing in the future?
    The SeaGlass Siren