Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Mer-Resort Planning Committee

I have seen those kinds of natural pools. Sometimes I've seen them just do an inground pool with a fish tank like filter and surrounded it with natural things. I'll see if I can find the picture. So it'was a clean and stuff it still naturally beautiful.
    I was thinking maybe small places around the country so some mers wouldn't have to drive so far. But that's kinda like meetups I guess. Maybe like one on each coast? And if its possible one in the middle.
    I think it should be something of a hotel but with underground pools like an aquarium hotel I guess. Just aim etching specially made for mers and then people could mayb pay to come in and see us all swimming and stuff. And the proceeds could go to paying the bills and such and if there's enough for building more around the country.
    I don't know. Just a few opinions.
    That awkward moment when someone says mermaids aren't real... And I'm standing right next to them...

<3 I also go by
    Mermaid Myra as that is my business persona

<strike>
    </strike>

Check out my new Instagram page! <3
    https://www.instagram.com/mermaidmyraofficial/

Come visit me on FaceBook!
    https://www.facebook.com/mermaidmyra/

Swim by my YouTube channel!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb7...J8Shs1b10Psjrg

~Formerly known as "Mermaid Nerin"~

Well... We could always make like a second mer fest :o don't you usually raise funds that wayl?
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Euro Pod
    Add Pascal21M on Facebook
    Seaglasssirens idea is amazing. I like it very much

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Having a "Mermaid Aquarium" would be a great way to put mers to work and to educate people about the ocean :3

I do think taking over and adapting an existing facility such as an aquarium or (especially an indoor)waterpark would probably be the best way to go about things - outdoor is seasonal unless it's in somewhere that has a mild winter, but indoors would be year round, but an existing facility wouldn't need full contruction costs, just repairs, adaptations, extensions if we want a shallower pool (good for kids mer-training sessions and meet-the-mermaid moments) and refilling and restocking the tanks (which could be done over time in conjunction with wildlife conservation organisations) and then maintanance and running overheads.

An aquarium that was failing before, might have its orginal issues fixed by having the unique attraction of resident and visiting mers, and especially if we multi-use the building, with divers, business/event hire spaces, possibly a decent restaurant inside and a decent gift shop. We should also think about having resident photographers and videographers, not only to run photo-op stuff, but as an organisation, if we had attached B&B/hotel facilities, we could do artist residencies (where you have an artist come in and live on-site and work based on the place for a few months at a time) which would help raise the profile of the location, and probably draw in artists and creatives on a day-to-day basis.

Would it be useful for me to say.... go do an interview with the manager of my local aquarium to get an idea of overhead costs etc?
    User previously known as "Kat Arnold".

- Mermaid Lilium Fanpage -
    - Photography Fanpage -

Senior Member Pod of The South Marlin's Avatar
    Add Marlin on Facebook
    @ Lilium- Haven't thought of using an aquarium- but that's an amazing idea! Especially the indoor part, it makes sense.
    Even mermaids need tech support.

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lilium View Post
    I do think taking over and adapting an existing facility such as an aquarium or (especially an indoor)waterpark would probably be the best way to go about things - outdoor is seasonal unless it's in somewhere that has a mild winter, but indoors would be year round, but an existing facility wouldn't need full contruction costs, just repairs, adaptations, extensions if we want a shallower pool (good for kids mer-training sessions and meet-the-mermaid moments) and refilling and restocking the tanks (which could be done over time in conjunction with wildlife conservation organisations) and then maintanance and running overheads.
    You saying the thing about getting wildlife conservation organization on board got me thinking... It would be really cool if we could also be a 'halfway house' for injured sealife until it could survive again in the wild (run over manatees, beached dolphins, oil spill victims, just to name a few). Just a thought, but that would be really awesome if we could.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

Quote Originally Posted by Aziara View Post
    You saying the thing about getting wildlife conservation organization on board got me thinking... It would be really cool if we could also be a 'halfway house' for injured sealife until it could survive again in the wild (run over manatees, beached dolphins, oil spill victims, just to name a few). Just a thought, but that would be really awesome if we could.
    there's a seal/sealion sanctuary over in skegness which is just up the coast from my hometown. The beaches there usually have a lot of common seals and grey seals and lots wash up in distress. They have it open to the public and have a few lifetimers who can't go back into the wild. So it's not a bad idea but I think we would have to prioritise and make sure we're not taking on too many side projects and ideas at once until we know we'll have enough of an income to expand and care for the extra creatures
    User previously known as "Kat Arnold".

- Mermaid Lilium Fanpage -
    - Photography Fanpage -

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Clara's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Clara On Twitter Add Mermaid Clara on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Clara's Youtube Channel
    I am totally in love with this idea! I would love to help with the designing and architecture!
    if we ever get it built and up and running, we could have it as sort of a tourist attraction and have a separate living spaces for the mer who will work full time there and visiting mer...
    here are also some pictures for decor ideas...

i though this tile was super pretty and it wouldn't scratch or damage our tails

and an idea for blueprints for a standard room

...maybe even building some rental houses for guests...

These folks are crowdfunding to purchase a private island, by pre-selling packages with an annual fee included. XO Island

That might be an interesting avenue to explore.

EDIT: found it. Pink Pearl Island is two acres and lists for $500,000.
    Last edited by Merman Dan; 04-30-2014 at 01:13 PM.

What an adorable island! And on a side note, I'd definitely pay a yearly fee to get to go stay there..... if it was an affordable yearly fee, lol

Too much?

Re: Mer-Resort Planning Committee

Oh wow, that's cool. A little on the expensive side, though. Is this what we're aiming to do?

Sent from my shellphone using Tapatalk 2
    ~Mermaid Sashika of Yupalean~

The numbers are a complete fabrication, at this point. Lagoon Caye, a.k.a. Mermaid Caye, is listed for $1 million and has neither structures nor utilities. Pink Pearl Island is listed for half that and includes a house, 4 cabanas, and a shed.

Pink pearl island is only two acres. That's not very big like at all. My property is 40 acres, so it's about the size of about 1 and half of our pastures, not much room I feel like.

Agreed. My property is twenty acres but I'd settle for 5-10 plus the ocean.

Yeah, it might not be that big, but I'll just be in the water anyway

Just happened upon this thread. Wow, what a cool idea! Sort of our own Atlantis. Neptune's Keep, my fish + humans band, would be delighted to play there.

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene WebNeptune's Keep WebFacebookMG YouTubeNK YouTubeEtsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

True while most of us will be in the water most times, there still needs to be enough room for privacy and what not