Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Any Christian Mermaid/ Mermen out there?

Senior Member Pod of Texas Lotus the Mermaid's Avatar
    Add Lotus the Mermaid on Facebook
    Yep! This mer is! I accepted Christ when I was 12, but became a full-fledged disciple when I was 17, really becoming more dedicated to serving Him. I go to a non-denominational church that I've attended since I was about 13! I love it, and I met my hubby there. I have a lot to be thankful for, despite the occasional stresses of following the very unorthodox dream of mermaiding.

I LOVE praying for people, so if you ever need any prayer it is NOT a burden to ask me! Just send me a message! No questions asked, and it'll be 100% confidential and judgment-free, I promise. <3

Also, feel free to add me on here or FB! I don't know very many Christian mers! Super cool! I love this!

Formerly known as Lotus_Blooming

This is a great topic! I'm a Christian myself, and with mermaiding, comments about it being a pagan practice is a little intimidating. Although, I have read nothing in the bible that supports those few comments.

Sent from my shell phone under the sea!
    I lost my heart to the Ocean
    and with it, a piece of my
    soul
    https://instagram.com/mermaid_nerida/

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    Strong Protestant all my life. Several of my best friends are pastors and chaplains, and I love speaking with them when I get the chance (they do not all live in the same place, and I was in the Army for a while). I loved merfolk since the time I heard of them. However, it's harder for me to tell others that I like mermaids then it is to share my faith.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Nerida View Post
    This is a great topic! I'm a Christian myself, and with mermaiding, comments about it being a pagan practice is a little intimidating. Although, I have read nothing in the bible that supports those few comments.

Sent from my shell phone under the sea!
    Of course, there will not be anything in the Bible addressing mermaiding specifically, but remember, most of the time it is more about why, how, and the effect you create then weather you should do or do not. Unless you use mermaiding as a method of worship for something other then Jesus (and yes, you can worship God through mermaiding) or promoting something displeasing to him, I can't see any problem God would have of you putting on your tail. I hope that helps.

TritonsGuard, well said!!! I so appreciate you saying that you can worship God through mermaiding. I actually feel He's given me a lot of encouragement in this. He gave me the dream to mermaid, after all! You can worship Jesus in whatever you do! I love that! <3

Absolutely. That's "1 Corinthians 10:31" right there. If you went that in song form, that would be Casting Crowns' "Life Song." Listening to that now. I do want to someday be able to worship in that way, but right now I'm without a tail (and I don't have the guts to do it yet). Maybe once I am with a group. Un-tail then (ha ha), I am happy to help you all out. Talking about faith is something I love to do. However, I would like to ask, how does it feel to be in the water in a tail? Looks like it would be marvelous. Of course I am going a bit off subject.

It's very kind of you to pray for others.

God be with you my friend.

I am a Christian. Right now I go to a church of Christ. We follow what the Bible teaches. No other documents.

Cool Amphitrite I am church of Christ too!
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonsGuard View Post
    Absolutely. That's "1 Corinthians 10:31" right there. If you went that in song form, that would be Casting Crowns' "Life Song." Listening to that now. I do want to someday be able to worship in that way, but right now I'm without a tail (and I don't have the guts to do it yet). Maybe once I am with a group. Un-tail then (ha ha), I am happy to help you all out. Talking about faith is something I love to do. However, I would like to ask, how does it feel to be in the water in a tail? Looks like it would be marvelous. Of course I am going a bit off subject.

It's very kind of you to pray for others.

God be with you my friend.
    I like what you said and that is so true. I have taken my tail to our church's college group trip and to the youth group's camp trip and I inspired a few girls to be mermaids too! No one had any issues with me being a mermaid.

On the subject of swimming with a tail, it is definitely marvelous. For me it has made swimming even more of a joy then it has ever been. It feels natural wearing the tail as if it was meant to be. Swimming in the pool has been fun but the overall best thing was when I went to a beautiful, crystal clear spring and wore my tail. I would dive down and swim amongst school of fish and brush past elodea plants and then swim up to divers. That was the best because there was good, clear scenery and I felt at one with the fish. It has given me a new respect for what God has created underwater - and especially the springs he has created!

I was excited to make a tail but once I made it I was nervous to swim with it because I didn't know what people would think. Don't let that psyche you out! After that first swim I was so happy about the experience that I didn't care about what others thought - although I have had no negative comments yet - but tail swimming is so much fun you shouldn't let your nerves get in the way. It is good to have a good friend with you though. My boyfriend came and filmed my first tail swim so that helped me feel more confident. Then the trip to the spring was the ultimate test because I had never been a mermaid with so many people around and it wasn't scary at all it was really fun!
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

I think what has been mentioned about mermaiding being reputed to be pagan practice is quite scary indeed, and had been one of my concerns when I first joined the mermaid community here. However, I do believe that if one can give back to his or her community and serve others through mermaiding, like performing for charity events or raising funds for the needy, being a mermaid isn't a problem for Christians at all, it's a way of blessing others

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianthe View Post
    I think what has been mentioned about mermaiding being reputed to be pagan practice is quite scary indeed, and had been one of my concerns when I first joined the mermaid community here. However, I do believe that if one can give back to his or her community and serve others through mermaiding, like performing for charity events or raising funds for the needy, being a mermaid isn't a problem for Christians at all, it's a way of blessing others
    Okay, maybe I missed the swimming being Pagan, but why would you find that "scary"? If you swapped 'Pagan' for 'Jewish' or 'Hindu, would that make it any more/less frightening for you?

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    "Mermaiding" is a relatively new term and practice, so I'm pretty sure there were/are no "pagans" who have a cult around it lol.
    (Unless you mean to say that pearl diving is an ancient practice, and all ancient peoples were, of course, pagans at some point. So then you're right.)

However, you may or may not know that mermaids, freshwater maids (nixies) and other waterdwelling fairies (fairies in general, to be precise), were called "(children) not of God", meaning specifically the christian god here of course.
    That's why you have so many tales about fairies, mermaids and their ilk disliking churches and religious rites and such.

What it means is that fairies- as opposed to humans- were here before God arrived and created humans.
    Thus humans are "children of God" and the old folk are not.
    And that's why fairies, mermaids etc were also called demons or children of the devil.

Ianthe, I see where you're coming from. It's not so much "scary" because it was considered pagan, but rather because it was used as a means of worshipping other gods. As a Christian who loves God and mermaiding, that can be scary. But we have to remember that as long as we're not sinning, we can do whatever we want and use it to glorify God. I hope that helps.

Fellow Mer-Christian! Yeah!!! This is awesome!! I've been a disciple of Jesus for many years, though I am still unsure about the road he wants me to lead. I am hoping to find a way to use my mermaid business to glorify him! Okay, I love emojis! Thank you humans!! LOL

I can relate.

Please delete this old comment.
    Last edited by Max-Mermaid; 08-24-2017 at 04:07 AM.

My partner was baptized into the Catholic church a little more then two years ago. I myself am an Eclectic Animist Druid with pulls from Buddhism, Paganism, Egyptian and Shamanism. I attend church with my partner when he goes (it's been a long time because he works nights now :/ ) and his church is very accepting of me and they respect my beliefs and don't try to convert me. I even went on a Catholic retreat and everyone was so wonderful. My mother is Animist Pagan and I grew up in a Coven with a family of Witches and Wiccans and Pagans. While I am very interested in other religions and spiritual paths for knowledge and understanding, I have known no other path for myself.

I follow the path that makes sense to me which is one without deities looking over the world. I believe that all creatures no matter their size are equal and necessary for this world to be. I meditate, I wear an Om symbol, I cherish Ma'at and all her glory and I walk through the forest and swim through the oceans as a guest in the home of other creatures.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    Hey Afanc, so while it's great that you're sharing your spirituality with the forum and there are many like minded mers, this is not the place to do it. This is a thread specifically for Christian mers. I don't have the links right now, but there are other threads that might be more suitable and I might suggest an amin move this to one of those threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kelda View Post
    Hey Afanc, so while it's great that you're sharing your spirituality with the forum and there are many like minded mers, this is not the place to do it. This is a thread specifically for Christian mers. I don't have the links right now, but there are other threads that might be more suitable and I might suggest an amin move this to one of those threads.
    Considering the first post said
    Quote Originally Posted by angelstarfish View Post
    If not a Christian, then what is your religion?
    I assumed it was ok to share. My bad.
    Last edited by theMerFanc; 10-09-2015 at 02:31 AM.

Ah, sorry, I missed that first post. Generally it's a good idea to read through the whole thread to see what sort of posts have been made - in this case, the thread has certainly become a place for Christian mers specifically to congregate and talk.

I totally get the confusion though and it's often not black and white when threads start as one thing and become another.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kelda View Post
    Ah, sorry, I missed that first post. Generally it's a good idea to read through the whole thread to see what sort of posts have been made - in this case, the thread has certainly become a place for Christian mers specifically to congregate and talk.

I totally get the confusion though and it's often not black and white when threads start as one thing and become another.
    Fair enough, I should have read the whole thread but I find that unless it is a tutorial or a progress thread I don't need to read the whole thing if it's really long. I do apologize for being out of line but I read this last page and noticed the discussion about mermaiding being derived from Pagan things so I didn't think it was out of place. But I will back out from this thread and I have actually found the Wicca thread you mentioned

No worries! It's difficult for us all to navigate the forum sometimes!