Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Christian Mermaid/ Mermen out there?

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    I'm also a follower of Christ. My walk isn't where it should be, I've been low for quite a while now, but God is good.

The lgbt issue is difficult to deal with... it's hard to understand what the actual will of God is as opposed to people's opinions. Regardless of whether homosexuality is okay with God or not, we should do our best to love others as he does and strive to be more like him.

I don't have a church right now. I used to go to my parent's church but I don't think I like many of the choices they make or the direction they're going. I haven't really looked for a new one either... I hope to find one that I fit with well soon. I miss it

Eastern Orthodox Christian
    Alveric

For my novel, The Accidental Mermaid, go to http://mermaidsofxanadu.com/
    Coming in 2014: ​Spindrift

Quote Originally Posted by caltuna View Post
    Boring might be preferable to people smashing each other's heads in because of minor faith differences though.
    I'd take a boring, peaceful country over one filled with crusaders and missionaries at any time.
    Ah, but that's due to the human flaw of needing to be right and in control, not religion. Religion is just a tool that is exploited by those hungry for power, the control freaks. The lack of that need is governed by a state of mind, not a belief system. Purge religion and we will still be killing each other over the need to control others. My friends, family and I are all different beliefs, and only the folks who think they're right and everyone should be like them have issues with the control-and-dominate thing. It's definitely not a religious thing. even an atheist friend does it. the rest of us love learning from each other.
    Last edited by Mermaid Varshana; 07-27-2013 at 01:42 AM.
    Feel free to friend me on Facebook

Very well-put, Varshana! I agree.

I grew up Catholic, went to Catholic schools then went through Baptist, Lutheran and Non-denomiational schools up through college (coached at Seventh Day Adventist school). Somewhere along the road, I established myself as a non-demoninational Christian. I live my life based off of Biblical teachings (to the best of my abilities). I don't judge or point fingers at others who practice differently as we are all equal and free to make our own choices.

I'm a non-denominational Christian, and I grew up in a non-denominational household. Everyone in my fellowship is really close and friendly, and I really enjoy going to fellowship or a class.

Any Christian Mermaid/ Mermen out there?

I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, like Dottie. As a matter of fact, that's how we met!

I'm often told I'm not Christian because LDS believe that Christ, the Father and the Holy Spirit are one godhead but separate entities, but I know that Christ atoned for my sins and allows me access to His grace and mercy to achieve things I never could alone.

As for religious disagreements, there will always be those as long as we are human. Some people always think they know better than others, there are always people who get offended where no offense is meant. It's human nature. And since we all have different experiences and beliefs there will always exist the opportunity for tension. For example, I believe that homosexuality is a trial given to some, but still a sin. I believe that gender is given by God and that he doesn't make mistakes with it. Because of this, there is plenty of opportunity for Dottie and I to get into scraps even though we're of the same denomination! (And no, I don't want to debate my beliefs, they're not changing.)

Luckily, we're both of the "I think you're wrong, but you're free to make your own choices" type. And we're good enough friends that we don't want to spoil it by haranguing the life out of a topic neither of us will change their opinion about. I think the world would be a much more peaceful place if more people of all denominations had this attitude.

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Explore the S.E.A. with me!
    Facebook

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Elle's Avatar
    Follow Elle On Twitter
    Visit Elle's Youtube Channel
    I was raised as a Roman Catholic. Went to Catholic schools and all the rest of it. Once I finished high school, my life was completely devoid of religion. I was atheist for a very long time. Mid last year, I decided to go with Pastafarianism.
    "Will you walk a little faster?" said a Whiting to a Snail
    "There's a Porpoise right behind us and he's treading on my tail!"

Tail making progress http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...-making-a-tail

I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints like Thalassa and Dottie, too. Though I've been inactive for the last few years and not always living like I should, I still believe in God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost. I always considered myself a Christian but I'm constantly told Mormons aren't Christians. I'm not very religious though. My personal beliefs are a lot more liberal than what my religion teaches and I feel like some of the people can be very judgemental. I honestly don't like religion. So many people use religion as a social status and to justify their mistreatment of other people. Like in the U.S., you say you're Christian and everyone thinks you're normal. But if you say you're Muslim or Atheist or something else, people can get really nasty towards you. It would be nice if religion wasn't used as social status and we could all love one another.

Senior Member Pod of The South MermanZen's Avatar
    I am Catholic but Im really cool about it, like I don't judge others for what my religion might think is wrong. like same sex marriage im fine with that I mean im straight but let people decide how to live their life and stop all this hating on them, I mean (and not to offend any one who don't believe in God or anything but) if the church teaches that God loves everyone even if they don't believe in him then all this hate at same sex relationships our own outlook on the life style.

I hate religion God wants us to build a relationship with Him. I try to follow the Bible 100%

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Mhara's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Mhara on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Michelle View Post
    I hate religion God wants us to build a relationship with Him. I try to follow the Bible 100%
    I'm sorry but that's near to impossible in this day and age. i respect your beliefs, but I'm just curious about your statement. Plus I am very confused by it...you hate religion, yet you follow the Bible 100%?? I am so confused...

Do you eat Shellfish? The Bible forbids eating them in Leviticus 11:10. on top of that Leviticus 11:28-29 forbids basically eating snails and such...so if you've ever tried snails as the French eat, that's breaking the Biblical rules. The Bible also basically forbids being overweight...I don't know what you look like so I'll just leave that as a statement.
    If you want to follow Biblical laws, make sure you don't wear ripped clothes...even if they're jeans specifically fashioned to look stylishly 'ripped'. On top of that you can only wear a single fabric in an outfit. Also...no haircuts! Or shaving, no piercings and no Tattoos.

If you have a garden, you are only allowed to plant one kind of seed...no mixed gardens. The Bible also forbids wine in church...which makes the 'blood of christ' red wine really confusing for me...
    Oh and if you have a puppy ENSURE it is not mixed breed at all. Completely pure only. Because mixing animals is sinful.

If you really follow all these, and everything else...then I congratulate you and wish you luck with the rest of your life But if not, I find your comment even more confusing sorry :/

Now, while I'm here I may as well talk about my beliefs too

I grew up in a very Christian place - We prayed in primary school, and had Bible stories each morning. I always found Bible stories incredibly interesting, but from a very young age I had a problem with the idea of God-and his 'rules' of how to live your life.
    My Grandmother was always interesting to me, and she was always known as a 'Witch'. After she died and I grew older, I thought that was just a joke or something to make me feel 'WOW MAGIC' about. I didn't really think about that, nor religion up until my early teens. I started reading about Paganism and magic, and it gave me a ...urm, the only way I can explain it is a...'Whoosh' feeling. That wonderful feeling you get when something just rings so much truth with you.

I later found out my Grandmother followed a Pagan belief, and was quite the village Witch helping people with Herbal remedies and such as often as she could. So you could say my beliefs were slightly hereditary

I now practice Witchcraft, and what's great about Witchcraft is it isn't a religion. It's a practice, which means you can believe whatever you like and in the 'Witch' social groups I'm a part of you're never judged as everyone's beliefs are completely different and respected. I don't believe in anything because I'm told it's what to believe I believe in things if they feel right to me.

I have a deep respect for Christianity and the church. I don't agree with 90% of the religion, but with what I am I know that no ONE religion can be 'the one true religion' I believe everyone has their own beliefs, their own path.

However, I highly disregard most of the Bible as being anything but a tool to manipulate people and a way to control the masses. I believe when Religion was flourishing, the Rich and high in status decided to use it and abuse it in any way possible. Which is why the Bible is filled with such nonsense as I have said above^ and hateful things against Homosexuals, Women and those of different faith.

However, a loving, caring, peaceful belief in a God and Heaven makes me feel bliss and full of respect and understanding
    The Mermaid Of Anglesey

Find me on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/Angleseymer...homepage_panel

Formerly known as Merman Vaughan...now I'm a mermaid heh.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman Vaughan View Post
    I'm sorry but that's near to impossible in this day and age. i respect your beliefs, but I'm just curious about your statement. Plus I am very confused by it...you hate religion, yet you follow the Bible 100%?? I am so confused...

Do you eat Shellfish? The Bible forbids eating them in Leviticus 11:10. on top of that Leviticus 11:28-29 forbids basically eating snails and such...so if you've ever tried snails as the French eat, that's breaking the Biblical rules. The Bible also basically forbids being overweight...I don't know what you look like so I'll just leave that as a statement.
    If you want to follow Biblical laws, make sure you don't wear ripped clothes...even if they're jeans specifically fashioned to look stylishly 'ripped'. On top of that you can only wear a single fabric in an outfit. Also...no haircuts! Or shaving, no piercings and no Tattoos.

If you have a garden, you are only allowed to plant one kind of seed...no mixed gardens. The Bible also forbids wine in church...which makes the 'blood of christ' red wine really confusing for me...
    Oh and if you have a puppy ENSURE it is not mixed breed at all. Completely pure only. Because mixing animals is sinful.

If you really follow all these, and everything else...then I congratulate you and wish you luck with the rest of your life But if not, I find your comment even more confusing sorry :/

Now, while I'm here I may as well talk about my beliefs too

I grew up in a very Christian place - We prayed in primary school, and had Bible stories each morning. I always found Bible stories incredibly interesting, but from a very young age I had a problem with the idea of God-and his 'rules' of how to live your life.
    My Grandmother was always interesting to me, and she was always known as a 'Witch'. After she died and I grew older, I thought that was just a joke or something to make me feel 'WOW MAGIC' about. I didn't really think about that, nor religion up until my early teens. I started reading about Paganism and magic, and it gave me a ...urm, the only way I can explain it is a...'Whoosh' feeling. That wonderful feeling you get when something just rings so much truth with you.

I later found out my Grandmother followed a Pagan belief, and was quite the village Witch helping people with Herbal remedies and such as often as she could. So you could say my beliefs were slightly hereditary

I now practice Witchcraft, and what's great about Witchcraft is it isn't a religion. It's a practice, which means you can believe whatever you like and in the 'Witch' social groups I'm a part of you're never judged as everyone's beliefs are completely different and respected. I don't believe in anything because I'm told it's what to believe I believe in things if they feel right to me.

I have a deep respect for Christianity and the church. I don't agree with 90% of the religion, but with what I am I know that no ONE religion can be 'the one true religion' I believe everyone has their own beliefs, their own path.

However, I highly disregard most of the Bible as being anything but a tool to manipulate people and a way to control the masses. I believe when Religion was flourishing, the Rich and high in status decided to use it and abuse it in any way possible. Which is why the Bible is filled with such nonsense as I have said above^ and hateful things against Homosexuals, Women and those of different faith.

However, a loving, caring, peaceful belief in a God and Heaven makes me feel bliss and full of respect and understanding
    So I am going to pipe up on this what can be a very touchy subject. I am a Christian and what Mermaid Michelle said is not impossible in this time we live in despite what people can think. If we want to start breaking down the difference between religion and relationship we can. I am not trying to argue here just saying.

Following the bible 100% is religion... That's like the epitome of religion.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Perhaps she means "organized religion" which is basically what others have already said.

Conservative Christian here!

I generally stay out of religious-based discussions (I was baptized and raised Roman Catholic, went through confirmation and all that, but due to some pretty intense personal reasons I now prefer to stay way away from anything relating to the church though I consider myself more agnostic than all-out athiest), but this statement in particular baffled me.

Name:  the-fuck-did-i-just-read.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  173.2 KB

So you hate religion but you're religious...?

::EDIT::

Quote Originally Posted by Kae View Post
    Perhaps she means "organized religion" which is basically what others have already said.

Oohhh, that would make more sense, I think? Still confused by it in general, but that's at least not quite so... contradictory.

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Mhara's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Mhara on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by MerMatt View Post
    So I am going to pipe up on this what can be a very touchy subject. I am a Christian and what Mermaid Michelle said is not impossible in this time we live in despite what people can think. If we want to start breaking down the difference between religion and relationship we can. I am not trying to argue here just saying.
    It kinda is impossible...because along with everything I siad, I conveniently (and deliberately) didn't bring up very gruesome rules in the Bible...such as that slavery is fine, that you can sell women for goats, that you must cut a women's hand off if she intervene's in a fight, and that you must stone people to death as punishments for breaking the rules placed by God.

So...yeah. I suppose it is possible, if you want a ticket to jail or be labelled a misogynist for the rest of your life

I also believe if everyone on this Earth followed in the footsteps of Jesus, it would be a much better place. Jesus never said EVERYONE must be a certain religion and that EVERYONE must believe in God. He never said a single thing about Homosexuality being a sin, nor did he ever condone the violence we hear about in earlier passages of the Bible. His message was a message of love and acceptance and that is one I will always understand.
    The Mermaid Of Anglesey

Find me on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/Angleseymer...homepage_panel

Formerly known as Merman Vaughan...now I'm a mermaid heh.

I can kind of understand what Mermaid Michelle is saying. You can do anything religiously, including following the Bible 100%. You can watch a show religiously or go to the gym religiously. I wouldn't say following the Bible is the definition of religion, but more of a tool to use in following your beliefs as Christians, Catholics, etc. which are religions. And these days there are hundreds upon hundreds of religions that have their own practices and beliefs, which can get really confusing. So, yah, you can hate that aspect of religion, and yet follow the Bible.

Organized vs what? Unorganized?? What does that even mean???

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    I believe what was trying to be said about 'not religious, but follow the Bible' is simply that christianity shouldn't be about ritual or doing certain things, but a relationship.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow