Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Any Christian Mermaid/ Mermen out there?

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    I knew this was going to happen and I am going to bow out of this conversation.

I am not going to get into a huge discussion over the origins of Christianity or the contemporary permutations of what the original faith started out to be. I don't have the time nor the inclination to dig out my masters thesis on religion and political control of the masses. I put up the link to the Wikipedia page (AND the Patheos page) to expedite explanation. And yes, there ARE verifiable roots to pre-Christian religions being appropriated by Christians to suit their political power grabs. And the Christianity most contemporary religions adhere to would better be referred to as Paulism - written, oh, 400 years AFTER Christ. Not to mention how kings and popes have re-written the bible to fit their personal agendas.

It really riles me when most __________ (insert any religious flavor here) believes THEIR religion has the hotline to God and everyone else is wrong.
    I really don't want to get into a "YOUR RELIGION SUCKS" battle with you over this because in the end I believe what I know in my heart is true, and you believe what YOU think to be true, and neither of us are going to change our views on the world because of something the other said.

Sent from my shellphone using Mertalk

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    well said, Dan & Pearlie.

And just a few things before I leave this thread forever:
    1. I did not any bashing, nor did I make anything up.
    everything I said is true, verified, easily proven, and can be read by anyone for themselves.

2. if you are offended by someone stating proven facts (and said Sumerian writings, which have almost all biblical tales in it and predate christianity by several millenia, DO exist), then no one can help you.
    You can ignore the facts, of course, you're free to do so, just as you can believe everyone who doesn't do your thing will spend an eternity in boiling tomato soup-, but if it offends you, it's your problem really.

3. I had no idea someone would be offended by the mention of the Gnostics.
    Sorry, every detail about them is recorded history.
    Saying I made it up doesn't make history go away.

Of course, everything I just said will be ignored, written off as lies, and considered offensive, which is why I'll now leave this thread to all the loving, tolerant, right-faith people.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Melanie's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Melanie on Facebook
    I am so thankful to my parents - my mother a Roman Catholic and my father a Protestant - they never chose a faith for me to have an I'm glad because as I have grown up my mind hasn't been poisoned with do this and don't do that - I don't need a religion to tell me what's right and wrong - I do not understand how in this day and age people still believe in religions - I think it must be some sort of safety or comfort for people who do follow a religion but honestly I think it's the worst thing to ever be on this planet - so many have died and are still dying because of religion - I don't believe in a god - I believe in myself to do what is right - maybe all that time ago Jesus was a real person - I think he was just a guy who had morals and maybe in that time it was a radical way of thinking - I grew up In a place where religion defined your friends , your hobbies , where was safe to go etc I have seen friends have their heads smashed with a hammer because they supported a certain football team which is tied in with religion - and even when you look as different religions they are now warped and often manipulated to suit the needs of the power hungry extremists - blah I hate religion - but I guess if I really had to choose if say the Ocean is my religion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yougot your own style, now let it come through. And remember no matter what, you got to be you. -Sebastian

Mermaid Dottie, It's nice to meet a fellow LDS member on here! I know what it's like to live with LGBT issues, believe me. And I absolutely love that your hubby served in Japan. That's one of my favorite countries!

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    ... this thread is making me ache.

I really feel attacked here. If you choose not to believe in God or the Christian faith, that's a choice you're free to make. But this attitude of "I can prove that your beliefs are WRONG, and you're ignorant because you disagree" makes me feel like I'm not welcome. Surely people who feel this strongly and are so willing to attack my beliefs will be unwilling to accept all that I am.

For the religion discussion-

Sometimes when people say they're against religion, they mean they're pursuing a relationship. Christianity really isn't about what things you can and can't do. It's not even about things you can do for God. It's about what God does for us.

Many people get stuck on details, like what day you should to go to church, what clothes you should wear, sexuality, whether or not you can drink alcohol, and the list goes on and on-but that's not the most important thing. Sure, they're real issues that have their own place, but this isn't what Christ is all about.

If you choose to believe that there can not possibly be only one "way", or that I'm an idiot for the things I believe, then that's certainly your choice, and I'll respect that.

I don't try to follow the bible. I try to follow Christ by his example. A lot of times I suck at it, but I'll keep trying, not because I want things or even because I want to get to heaven, but because I want to know Him more.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel

Any Christian Mermaid/ Mermen out there?

I am in no way a Christian (except it is my last name go figure) but lets all just agree that whatever anyone may or may not believe is fine. We are all allowed to make our own religious choices. We all deserve respect. One may think a particular religion is silly, but we mustn't disrespect each other as a result of our own opinions on something that not one person on this earth knows for sure. *friendship circle*

Oh my cod it's trainwreck threads like these that are exactly why I stay out of religious discussions in the first place. Christians and non-Christians disagree with each other and then the whole conversation falls apart because certain sides decide they're going to plug their fingers in their ears and go lalalala because for some reason when the topic of religion comes up people forget how to be civil.

I had a huge thing written up but it's 5AM and my cat kept crawling all over my keyboard and distracting me and then I had no idea if what I was going to say was even coherently written or not or if anybody would actually listen to it but I guess my point could best be summed up with this, for both sides:

::insert quick edit to fin-bump MerHopefully::

Senior Member Pod of The South Marlin's Avatar
    Add Marlin on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by ShyMer View Post

I really feel attacked here. If you choose not to believe in God or the Christian faith, that's a choice you're free to make. But this attitude of "I can prove that your beliefs are WRONG, and you're ignorant because you disagree" makes me feel like I'm not welcome. Surely people who feel this strongly and are so willing to attack my beliefs will be unwilling to accept all that I am.

1- @Shy: Preach it sister.

2- This thread started out to connect other christian mers together, not to discuss whether we are right or wrong for being what we are or believing what we believe.

3- Anything displayed as "fact" does not change the fact that a person's religion is a part of them. Simply stating; "well, this and this happened, so everything you feel is wrong and what I think is right"

4- To me Mernetwork has been a place of sanctuary for EVERYONE. Gay, Straight, Bi, Muslim, Jewish, Christian, Trans-gender, Trans-species, and everyone and everything in between has found a happy home here expressing love for an activity that we all share in common. I was really impressed with the lengths most mers have gone to to make everyone here feel accepted, regardless of their differences. I have seen instances of some individuals upsetting that balance from time to time, but it has been policed for the most part by the other members. This instance should be no different. Acceptance is an all-around thing.
    Even mermaids need tech support.

Senior Member Pod of The South Marlin's Avatar
    Add Marlin on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Tieri View Post
    Oh my cod it's trainwreck threads like these that are exactly why I stay out of religious discussions in the first place. Christians and non-Christians disagree with each other and then the whole conversation falls apart because certain sides decide they're going to plug their fingers in their ears and go lalalala because for some reason when the topic of religion comes up people forget how to be civil.

::insert quick edit to fin-bump MerHopefully::
    Quote Originally Posted by MerHopefully View Post
    I am in no way a Christian (except it is my last name go figure) but lets all just agree that whatever anyone may or may not believe is fine. We are all allowed to make our own religious choices. We all deserve respect. One may think a particular religion is silly, but we mustn't disrespect each other as a result of our own opinions on something that not one person on this earth knows for sure. *friendship circle*

Sorry- these both got posted after I started typing my thing, and I didn't see them until after I posted. Wanted to acknowledge support

@MerHopefully- Well Said.

@Tieri- Funny and Appropriate video
    Even mermaids need tech support.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    4- To me Mernetwork has been a place of sanctuary for EVERYONE. Gay, Straight, Bi, Muslim, Jewish, Christian, Trans-gender, Trans-species, and everyone and everything in between has found a happy home here expressing love for an activity that we all share in common.
    On the nosey.
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Miel's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Miel's Youtube Channel
    Back onto the original topic...

I'm a christian, I go to a baptist church that has really helped me to grow in my relationship with God.

Part of my personal belief is Tolerance towards someone else's life-choices. It's their Life, not mine, and they are the ones who have to live it... the only time this doesn't work for me is when my brother opens his mouth.

He Believes anything that his friends tell him and will argue against Experts of the field who try to tell him otherwise. ("Cancer doesn't exist." Yes he actually believes that, he smokes, goes shirtless in the summer and doesn't use sunscreen.)
    It's easy to be tolerant when talking to a stranger but this my family and I do love him, so I Try because I want him to live a long healthy life... Which leads to arguments when I Try too hard.

It's hard when a Friend gets nit-picky or preachy about your own beliefs. They are either one of two people, A dear friend who is Trying to reach you out of worry for your life-choices, or a Nit-picker who loves to debate and is imposing their view on the world.

Sometimes, the best way is to take a step back and say. "Okay, I might not understand, but that is how you choose to see the world, This is how I choose to see it. I hope we can still be friends!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Miel View Post
    Back onto the original topic...

I'm a christian, I go to a baptist church that has really helped me to grow in my relationship with God.

Part of my personal belief is Tolerance towards someone else's life-choices. It's their Life, not mine, and they are the ones who have to live it... the only time this doesn't work for me is when my brother opens his mouth.

He Believes anything that his friends tell him and will argue against Experts of the field who try to tell him otherwise. ("Cancer doesn't exist." Yes he actually believes that, he smokes, goes shirtless in the summer and doesn't use sunscreen.)
    It's easy to be tolerant when talking to a stranger but this my family and I do love him, so I Try because I want him to live a long healthy life... Which leads to arguments when I Try too hard.

It's hard when a Friend gets nit-picky or preachy about your own beliefs. They are either one of two people, A dear friend who is Trying to reach you out of worry for your life-choices, or a Nit-picker who loves to debate and is imposing their view on the world.

Sometimes, the best way is to take a step back and say. "Okay, I might not understand, but that is how you choose to see the world, This is how I choose to see it. I hope we can still be friends!"
    Well said

Beautifully said, both to Marlin and Miel.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by ShyMer View Post

I really feel attacked here. If you choose not to believe in God or the Christian faith, that's a choice you're free to make. But this attitude of "I can prove that your beliefs are WRONG, and you're ignorant because you disagree" makes me feel like I'm not welcome. Surely people who feel this strongly and are so willing to attack my beliefs will be unwilling to accept all that I am....
    I was not trying to 'prove' anyone's beliefs are wrong, nor was I attacking anyone, I was providing empirical/historical data, as was Caltuna.

Personally, I think a person's religion is like how they choose their underpants...it's no one's business except those who are closest to you.

KUMBAYA (INSERT A GOD OR PERSON OR BEING HERE) KUMBAYAAA!
    The SeaGlass Siren

Add Vixy on Facebook
    I was raised Christian, but as I aged I became interested in world religions. Was Atheist, but now I'm happily Pantheist.

God is the Earth and the Universe is what I believe.

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Mhara's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Mhara on Facebook
    OOOH I wanna go a bit off the topic and talk about something I read today which I found interesting!

I'm reading a book about Mermaids in Mythology, Folklore and History at the moment and there's a section about Mermaids in religion etc.

It talked about various faiths, including Christianity. Did you know that in the Middle ages, priests used the Mermaid as a symbol of sins - Lust and Vanity - and how to turn away from the selfish ways of the Mermaid.
    I found this really interesting

There was also another part in the book about paintings of Mermaids in Christian churches - Mermaids holding stars would be good, God serving Mermaids and those carrying fish would be sinful..? Or something.

I've just come back from rehearsals and am literally dead and tired and can't be bothered fishing out the book to correct that last part...I will later on though.

Just curious if anyone else knows of anything about Mermaid symbolism within the church and Christianity? I love learning about these things.
    The Mermaid Of Anglesey

Find me on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/Angleseymer...homepage_panel

Formerly known as Merman Vaughan...now I'm a mermaid heh.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    That's interesting, Vaughan, because I've not seen that before. I would be interested on seeing more information on the subject, though it should go in it's own thread, I think.

Sent from my Huawei-H867G using Tapatalk

I am a Christian, non-denominational or however that is spelled. I had always had a belief in God since I was younger but didn't truly become saved until I was...14? Ever since, I've never looked back. I don't really attend a church. I have problems with churches, so I do more solo studying, as well getting different perspectives on biblical matters elsewhere such as online. I wouldn't mind going to church, but it really can't get into all the loud music and people falling on the ground (Yes, I'm from the south :P)