Thread: Archive: "Sewing Neoprene"

Archive: "Sewing Neoprene"

This is an archived thread that was originally posted on mer.yuku.com, the predecessor to MerNetwork. For more information about mer.yuku.com, click here.

malinghi

12/29/10 15:04:07
    I've been trying to sew 2mm neoprene with a sewing machine and have encountered a lot of difficulty. I know people have talked about sewing neoprene in other threads but I figured it would be useful to have a thread exclusively for this topic.

So do you guys use sewing machines or do it by hand? Which machines or needles or thread do you use? I've been using a Singer Promise with the default needle. The thread is 100% polyester. I haven't had any success yet, and on the advice of some people here I think I'm going to try hand sewing.

Jewel de Lune

12/29/10 16:30:17
    I haven't tried sewing Neoprene but I know that even sewing denim requires a heavy duty sewing machine. When we were shopping for a new sewing machine, the sales associate was telling us that the Singer Heavy Duty can sew heavier fabrics like denim and some home fabrics (like for curtains or couch covers, etc.) while the other one couldn't. I believe the other one we were looking at is similar to the Singer Promise. I think you'd need a more heavy duty sewing machine to sew neoprene.
    Winged Mermaid

12/29/10 18:25:31
    Here's a very useful article that was posted in the Making your own latex tail thread:

http://www.rockywoods.com.../Sewing-Neoprene-Fabrics

In terms of stitches, I'm personally I'm a fan of stretch stitches. These stitches stretch with the fabric, instead of just being stressed when the fabric stretches, as a straight stitch would. I have seen seams break when sewn with straight stitches- when I redid my lycra tail in a zig zag stitch it held up instead of breaking. In your sewing manual it should identify what stretch stitches your machine is capable of. However if you are using an expensive specialty thread it does take up a lot more thread than others.

With thread, I would go for a heavy duty thread, like upholstery thread. To me that makes more sense, and I know Mike Van Daal used upholstery thread on his neoprene tails for stability.

You will need to lubricate the needle, as neoprene is a rubber and will grab the needle making it very hard to sew. Do NOT use Vaseline or any petroleum based lubricant!! Not on neoprene, not on latex! This will damage the neoprene making it irreparable. Even wetsuit manufacturers warn against it, saying it destroys the adhesive then penetrates the core making it impossible to repair. Use of Vaseline on a commercial wetsuit will actually void it's warranty.

Here (http://mer.yuku.com/topic/158) Capt Nemo recommends silicone based lube (diving grade). Just be warned when you do work with silicone DO NOT use silicone based lube!! It will break down the the silicone- apparently it actually melts.

If you are worried about using silicone based lube with the ALEX latex/silicone mix, I suggest a water based lube. I have no experience with this, but I have been told by others that sew neoprene that it works quite well.

I know Raven used a regular Singer to sew her first self made tail. I asked her how it held up as I was afraid my singer wouldn't be able to handle it, but she said it did fine with lubricant. So lube the needle, use the the suggest needle if possible, and go slowly. Check the stitching every so often to make sure there are no issues, and stop if the machine starts making unhappy noises or you smell anything burning/burning rubber.

Don't forget to mark the seam allowance desired on the sewing plate, so you can line it up with the fabric as you go. Your stitching lines will be much straighter that way. If you have not sewn before, I suggest practicing on any other scrap fabric to get the maneuvering down first. Otherwise you may be making very good friends with a seam ripper- and stretch seams are pain in the behind to take out! But know that if you DO mess up, seam ripping and starting over is an option.
    Capt Nemo

12/31/10 14:36:47
    I hand stitch neoprene. Get upholstery grade thread and a needle that can handle it.

I use this stitch. Spacing about 3/32-1/8".

OrcaMatt

04/12/11 07:32:40
    Capt Nemo wrote:
    I hand stitch neoprene. Get upholstery grade thread and a needle that can handle it.

I use this stitch. Spacing about 3/32-1/8".
    Blanket stitch?

taom

04/17/11 15:56:45
    It's also called the button hole stitch.

I bought some neoprene at joann fabrics and asked the woman helping me the same thing. she said that using leather needle on a standerd sewing machine should be fine. Regular needles will brake when using heaver fabrics. I would also sugest buying heavy duty thread (at joann fabrics)

I tried going on their website looking for neoprene fabric and nothing came up is it instore only?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My heart is pierced by Cupid, I disdain all glittering gold,
    There is nothing that can console me but my jolly sailor bold.
    ~ETSY: Trove by the Sea~Google +~FACEBOOK~
    mermaidmarissa.studios@gmail.com

"Imagine a life of wonder"

On some other threads I saw said that other people bought neoprene on joann fabrics. I looked on there website and I saw the same thing NOTHING. my joann's is pretty small, and I found neoprene there, I think it is in store only

grrr... do you kno anywhere else where you can buy neoprene???

Senior Member Euro Pod Azurin Luna's Avatar
    Add Azurin Luna on Facebook
    Look on ebay, that's where I got my neoprene for a nice price
    Your imagination is your only limit

If you are looking on the internet for some neoprene, this website has both neoprene and the other supplies that you MIGHT want when you sew it:
    http://www.seattlefabrics.com/neopre...FQlN4AodSBXc0Q
    Love who you are, because one day, the waves will take you places.

--Mermaid Meaghan.

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidmeaghan99 View Post
    If you are looking on the internet for some neoprene, this website has both neoprene and the other supplies that you MIGHT want when you sew it:
    I've ordered from them. They are really helpful when I called and they sent the neoprene packaged nicely. I'd recomend them, or foamorder (Foamorder has cheaper sheets, but I got just a couple feet of neoprene from seattle fabrics for a project.)

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidmeaghan99 View Post
    what kind of neoprene do you order for tails?

I think people here generally order 2mm.
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

ok thanks

well it depends on what kind of mermaid tail you want, if you are going to swim (generally) in warmer water (pool lake ect...) then you want to go with a thinner neoprene. If you are swimming mostly in oceans, then you would want a thicker neoprene. (thin neoprene: 2mm) (Thick neoprene: 3mm-4mm)
    Love who you are, because one day, the waves will take you places.

--Mermaid Meaghan.

I swear this was answered somewhere but I can't find it. Do you need to serge the edges of neoprene? When you cut it?
    Mermaid Jewel

Junior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Marina's Avatar
    May I ask what is the lube that can be used on a sewing machine needle? I tried to sew my 2.5mm neoprene with the strongest needle and it was incredibly difficult, however, I didnt lube the needle first. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! :-) x

Junior Member Pod of the Great Lakes
    I bought my neoprene at JoAnn's but they are discontinuing it and right now it is $12 a yard in stores that still have it. I was told any lubricant that is water based or dip the needle in soap or beeswax should work. KY jelly would work as well.
    Last edited by Nixen Nicole; 07-31-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod WillowAnne's Avatar
    There are loads of threads dedicated to this--if you look in the tailmaking section of the forum and click the sticky thread (at the top), there are links dedicated to what type of tail you're making. I'm making a neoprene sequin tail, too, and that's where I found all of the info- you just have to do a bit of searching.