Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: What do your parents, girlfriends, boyfriends, ect think?

Heh, my parents are still getting over my coming out as trans. I'm still not sure whether being a mermaid will be easier for them to deal with.
    I've actually been super shy about it so far though, I've only told one other person.

My boyfriend has been so supportive and accepts every part of me. I've told some of my friends about it but I usually down play in order to not bring too much attention to it. My mother hates it. It's really sad and I believe I've posted about before. She does not accept it and I don't know if she ever will. I don't tell her about any of my mermaid adventures. When she asks I just say nothing is new because I know if I tell her everything I'm doing she will get mad. It has caused so many problems between us in the past and will continue to do so if I tell her about it. She is very conservative and does not approve of any sort of cosplay for anyone over the age of 12.

“Don't you ever let a soul in the world tell you that you can't be exactly who you are.”

Formerly known as Mermaid Eva

I figure being new here it don't hurt to chime in either.
    The merfolk stuff, as with most cosplay, my family really doesn't get. Whether the SCA, my go-to Doctor McNinja cosplay, or Sith, they're mostly apathetic towards it...at least since I keep it relatively inexpensive thus far...dropping over 1000 on a nicer tail might draw unwanted attention though. I've come to deal with it as I'm more the black sheep of the family. As far as the (I guess for me) merman stuff goes, most of my friends are pretty on board with it. My best friend who I've known for...14 years now answered me with "You suck. I'm jealous." when I told her I'm trying to get into it. I conscripted one friend into coming along at DragonCon for the Mer lessons there, and she loved it, looking into getting a fabric tail now. I like swimming, albeit not terribly good at it depending on your angle...I never did get the breathing down right for the breast stroke, but I'm fine with Butterfly...doesn't make sense to me either. As for girlfriend? Well, file under "not applicable" lol. In the future, as long as she wouldn't be militantly against it, it's good, I think.

Only a few people really know about my interest and passion for merfolk. I try to down play it and am somewhat nervous about letting most people know. Mermen are somewhat on the fringe I think. My family is rather judgmental so I have kept it mostly hidden from them. They tend to think of me cosplaying as a waste of time and money rather than a hobby.

My friends are my biggest fans, they've supported me from the very beginning and attempt to come to all of my events. I'm so lucky to have friends like them
    Formerly known as Savannah Staver

Also one of my friends now introduces me like "this is my friend the real live mermaid"
    Formerly known as Savannah Staver

Senior Member Pod of the Southwest Vrindavana Starfish's Avatar
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish On Twitter Add Vrindavana Starfish on Facebook
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish on Tumblr Visit Vrindavana Starfish's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Sirenia View Post
    Also one of my friends now introduces me like "this is my friend the real live mermaid"
    Awesome! That feels good. My husband told someone over the weekend that I was a real mermaid. I don't even have a tail. This, and "You look like an elf from Lord of the Rings" have to be two of the best compliments I've ever received.

my husband has always known about my affinity to water, one of the first real conversations we ever had was late one night at HSU, I was playing in the art quad fountain and he scared the bejeezus out of me 'cause he walks quietlike and I was not paying attention.

The first day I had my tail, I was in it watching TV after the boys were in bed. He came home from work, looked at me, laughed and said "it was only a matter of time". He then suggested that we carve out weekly swim time for me so I could go more than once a month
    Take the wave now and know that you're free
    Turn your back on the land face the sea
    Face the wind now so wild and so strong
    When you think of me
    Wave to me and send me a song

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Nyx's Avatar
    Add Nyx on Facebook
    Follow Nyx on Tumblr Visit Nyx's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Sirenia View Post
    Same here!

I'm pretty straight forward with being a mermaid. I think it has something to do with the fact that if anyone gets me talking about mermaids or swimming I'll keep talking and talking until it comes out.
    It has gotten to the point where my floor in my college hall knows me as 'the mermaid'. I've even had people tell me that they add on "the one that's a mermaid" after my name so others know who they are talking about (There are so many Sara's here. SO many).

My mother and my boyfriend are probably the most supporting ones. Mom is pretty much my 'manager', so to speak, she finds any way possible to advertise me to her friends and co-workers (even though I'm not doing gigs yet). Sometimes I think I'd sink without her there! (pun intended )
    My boyfriend loves it and is super curious about it! So much so that he's coming with me to NC Merfest next year .

Only my cousin and 2 friends know about my interest in merfolk stuff, none of my parents do...it was bad enough just telling my mom I am a nudist. No girlfriend right now but I hope to eventually find someone I can swim with.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    My family still thinks its weird and not something a 40 year person does, they've finally accepted it as my form of exercise. They can see that I'm stronger in terms of health and body. Though they think its just a phase. My Mum thinks I should do kids parties, she always says I get on so well with my niece and nephew, but bleh! I had to tell her that's because they're related, I have no choice!

The rest of the relatives think I've gone bananas. Idc what they think, I'm doing it for my enjoyment, its got nothing to do with entertaining, or going with somebody else's ideals on what middle aged people should be doing, or not doing.
    Formerly known as ireneho

My boyfriend has called me "His Goddess" from the beginning of our relationship, so me being a mermaid wasn't that big of a stretch for him. The only problem was that he's terrified of water and can't swim worth for crap. He sinks like a stone! But, I love him anyway. (July Update:So much so, that I accepted his propsal of marriage on July 4th!)

My Dad is ok with it, because he knows thats just me. I've always been an odd duck. I plan to drop about a good $600 to $700 on a neoprene tail from Mermaid Morticia and my mom blew up about it, calling such an expense "incredabily stupid" and I shouldn't invest in something like that until my birthday party business has more bookings than just the one booking I have right now. Mom just doesn't really get it. She is supportive of me in pursuing my dream, even helped me figure out all the technical issues in being a mermaid entertainer. But, it always comes back to the cost of the hobby. My brother is indifferent to it, but he thinks the same way as my mom: I souldn't blow so much money on a tail. My friends, who only number at about 6 of them, are all super supportive. they know that when Im passionate about something, its because it makes me feel normal and gives me joy. So, even though I know she'll never see this, thank you Gracie for supporting me. You've been my best friend since the 5th grade and were one of the first people who treated me simply as a complete person and not some persone with Asperger's Syndrome. Thank you for letting be myself.
    Last edited by MermaidRuby; 07-16-2015 at 10:38 AM.

Senior Member Pod of Texas MermaidSaph's Avatar
    Follow MermaidSaph On Twitter
    Follow MermaidSaph on Tumblr Visit MermaidSaph's Youtube Channel
    My parents are nowhere near supportive...Whenever I even mention mermaids (or My Little Pony, Doctor Who, Sherlock, all that good stuff) my mom gives me this look, and (every time!) says, "You are overly obsessed with this! You know you're going to grow out of it, right?" She won't let me bring it up after that. Oh well. One good thing, though! My parents said they'll let me get my monofin soon! (I think I just bugged them too much...) Hopefully when I make friends here, they'll at least let me talk about it. Fins crossed!
    Kitvin ☆ they/them ☆ he/him

I will fear not my death or destiny
    Because death fears me
    I'm not afraid to stand up
    Fists up
    Never gonna give up
    I'm lightning, no fear, just adrenaline
    ~
    What kind of scars will you leave?
    What kind of blood will you bleed?
    When fear sets the stage for defeat
    What will your legacy be?

My mom has always been very supportive, even taking my mer-pictures and attending a mer-meetup with me. My dad however isn't as into it, I think it's his generation, he's just not familiar with the cosplay community and all that stuff.
    Follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kae-Le...53963584623799

Check out my writing on FictionPress, which has so far received more than 12,000 hits from 88 countries and territories on 6 continents!
    http://www.fictionpress.com/u/729633/Kae_Leah_W

My mom is supportive. My sister thinks Mermaiding is the coolest thing ever. She's like my little publicist lol. My bf is becoming a merman. It's adorable. So far I haven't come across anyone who thinks its that weird other than a friend who I'm not friends with anymore for other reasons. I'm hoping to keep my mermaiding experiences positive like they have been so far

I recently showed my mom a Merfin. We had been going through photos of coral that she took from a glass-bottom boat off of the barrier reef. I was telling her the different species, and finally asked how I knew it all. I finally said "mom, you know I'm a mermaid." Her response completely stunned me. She said "honey, I'm so glad you're rediscovering your roots."

My boyfriend, on the other hand... he doesn't get it at all. I love him dearly, and it won't be a deal breaker, but... How much I spend is my busines, but as he says, it is as alien to him as a big, plush, furry suit.

Quote Originally Posted by stellar lee View Post
    I recently showed my mom a Merfin. We had been going through photos of coral that she took from a glass-bottom boat off of the barrier reef. I was telling her the different species, and finally asked how I knew it all. I finally said "mom, you know I'm a mermaid." Her response completely stunned me. She said "honey, I'm so glad you're rediscovering your roots."

My boyfriend, on the other hand... he doesn't get it at all. I love him dearly, and it won't be a deal breaker, but... How much I spend is my busines, but as he says, it is as alien to him as a big, plush, furry suit.
    omg what your mum said is gorgeous! I'm sure your boyfriend will adjust to the idea also, he may just need a little time ^.^
    Almost done making my first ​tail!!! -progress pictures at http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?9784-Excited!-P-might-make-a-tail-tips&p=195098#post195098
    -Friends come and go like waves of the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on your face-Unknown

I recently went out with someone and told him straight out on the first date that I'm a mermaid. He was delighted and thought he was very lucky to meet one. After a month of hanging out, I had to leave the country. I told him I was glad to meet him. He said- I am so happy to have met you too. It's not everyday that one gets to meet a beautiful mermaid.- My heart melted, of course. Haha!

Junior Member Pod of The South Dannia's Avatar
    Add Dannia on Facebook
    Visit Dannia's Youtube Channel
    Most of my friends think that my mermaiding is neat and enjoy learning things I tell them, but my partner thinks I'm weird and it's just another one of my little obsessions I'm going through and will grow out of it in time. I doubt that will happen. He does think saving up and spending thousands on a silicone tail is crazy. That's why I shall use fabric tails for awhile. When he sees it is something I really enjoy doing and going to stick with it, a silicone tail won't be such a big deal.