Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mers In Pittsburgh?

Smile Mers In Pittsburgh?

Hi everyone,
    Just curious if I was the only one in the area... I hope not!!

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    I have family in Pittsburgh and go there occasionally. Also, Gary Antol Jr is originally from Pittsburgh, but according to his facebook profile he lives in Florida. (https://www.facebook.com/mermanjr)

Beyond that, I'm not sure who else is near Pittsburgh. According to the member map (http://mernetwork.com/index/dcMembermap.php), it looks like there's a fair number of people east of you, closer to the coast.

Thanks for the reply. At least I'm not the only one in the state, so that makes me feel better!

I live within driving distance.
    Feel free to friend me on Facebook

Very cool!

I'm working on moving to Pittsburgh soon. Waiting on hearing from the Housing Authority. Sparkling Shores, know anything about any Pittsburgh pools that allow tail usage?
    ~Alki.

Quote Originally Posted by Meralki Sparks View Post
    I'm working on moving to Pittsburgh soon. Waiting on hearing from the Housing Authority. Sparkling Shores, know anything about any Pittsburgh pools that allow tail usage?
    ~Alki.
    Hi Alki,
    Welcome to da' Burgh! Sadly, I do not! All of my swimming is done with a private family pool so I haven't had the experience of swimming elsewhere. I'm sorry! I shouldn't think you'd have any trouble finding a place that should allow it though, let me know how it goes for you! Again, welcome to the area!

Sincerely,
    Sparkling Shores

Hey! I'm in Pittsburgh! My daughter and I often swim in tails at the Bellvue public pool (North Hills)...where are you?

I don't know any other public places that allow tails. U. Pitt allows tails but I work there. Upper Saint Claire has an **AWESOME** indoor and outdoor pool, but tails are a no-no.

I haven't been able to move yet unfortunately... I'm putting out applications, but with a limited income, im being forced to deal with dreaded waiting lists.
    Right now my best bet is that I'm going to end up in the Highland Park/East Liberty area, but im also on lists for places in Swissvale, Edgewood, and Rankin.
    As soon as someone offers a place, I'm taking it though. I hope to move this year...but i guess anything goes. Its really depressing LOL
    I will definitely look into the Bellvue Pool though, and maybe Pittsburgh University. Thank You!
    ~ Meralki Sparks

Pittsburgh is a bit of a drive from here in Philadelphia, but it's an awesome city that I want to visit again... I still have to go through all the cultural classrooms in the Cathedral of Learning and get me some more Peace, Love and Little Donuts! And the proximity to Falling Water is awesome, too.

I go to school in Pittsburgh (Carnegie Mellon, right by UPitt), but I'm on a gap year this year so I'm home in NYC. I'm coming back in the summer, maybe we can do a meetup then!

Sent from the engineering wonder that is my shellphone using Tapatalk
    Formerly known as mermaidciela

AAk, I thought I'd set up my account to get replies on this post. Awesome, I'm so happy there's other mermaids nearby! Once the pool opens up again it'd be great to have a meet up!

I live really close! It's just a 45 minute drive from where I live. Buuut... I'm currently license-less and tail-less. But I know a pool in my area that allows tails.

I'm tailless but in Pittsburgh with a monofin!

Sent from the engineering wonder that is my shellphone using Tapatalk
    Formerly known as mermaidciela

I lost all of my progress with moving to Pittsburgh due to a mix up with things...now if i move to Pittsburgh within the next few years I'll be officially grotto-homeless. So I doubt ill be able to swim with you guys any time soon within the next few years...
    ~Mermaid Alki

I wanted to resurrect this post because I'd love to meet up with other local merfolk. It's getting on winter time and I only know of one mer-friendly pool (university only) but there may be others we could ask. I also have this crazy urge to help people if they want to try making their own silicone fails. I've been through the process and while I wouldn't want to commit to making a full tail for someone else all myself, I would be very happy to consult for free. Mostly I just want to meet new friends.
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

Bump! Still seeking Pittsburgh mers to hang with! Summer is coming and I'd love to have more companions. The public pool in Bellvue PA is friendly to mers. Also happy to help you make your dream tail out of silicone, if you're willing to do the work but are just daunted by the whole process and having trouble getting started!
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

We need to have a PA mers meetup! I don't mind driving over to Pittsburgh on a weekend or something since I'm pretty sure I'm the only mer up in these mountains in Central PA.

Sure! That'd be fun! Early June-ish? The local pool opens on Memorial Day weekend.
    Follow me on Facebook

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    I'm originally from Pittsburgh! Unfortunately I live on the west coast now, but maybe I'll see you guys sometime while visiting.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk