Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The official HOW TO PUT ON YOUR MERMAID TAIL thread

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

The official HOW TO PUT ON YOUR MERMAID TAIL thread

From my series: What to expect with your first mermaid tail: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...our-first-tail

How to put on your mermaid tail:

Fabric or ONLY NEOPRENE With Swim Fins or Monofins.

1.Put your monofin or swim fins in the fluke pocket by rolling the fabric down as far as it goes. You may need to slightly bend your monofin to get it in. Don't apply too much pressure- you don't want the monofin to snap. You may find it helpful to have a second pair of hands. One pair to hold the tail open, the other to put in the fins.

2. Once the fins are in roll the fabric down so that it's folded and not bunched, as far down as it'll go, CAREFULLY. Do not do this over a rough surface, as when you begin to move around you may damage the material. Put a yoga mat or tiled floor beneath you. If you have extra fins on your fabric or neoprene, be very mindful of how you fold things down because you don't want to damage them, and also, you don't want to damage them when you unroll it either.

3. Once the fabric is rolled down, start with one foot. Put it into the fin pocket. If there are straps, be sure they're adjusted to fit comfortably. Monofins and fins can be uncomfortable to a degree- that's normal. If the straps are too uncomfortable you can put a thin piece of foam on them. Once one foot is in- expect the second to be more difficult. Put it in like before. You will find it harder because of the narrow space- THIS IS NORMAL. Take your time. Don't rush. Wiggling around too much is what ends up damaging a tail. If you need to tie a piece of string to the straps that you can use to pull the strap out for your heel. If it's really tight, lubing up your feet can help. 4. Start unrolling the tail once both legs are in. Slowly, take your time, and smooth out wrinkles as you go. Get a second pair of hands as you need to. This is not a race. You will learn to get your tail on faster as you get comfortable, for now, take it slow or you WILL damage it. IF you get your tail to your butt and have trouble (getting over bathing suit fabric can be hard) you may want to get some help to carefully stand or lean in your tail. ONLY DO THIS IF YOUR TAIL IS STRONG ENOUGH TO BE STOOD IN. Then you can have someone help you pull the rest of the tail up like a pair of pants.

IMPORTANT TIP: Sometimes neoprene is easier to get on dryer. Wearing a pair of tights underneath can help you slide it on, or putting baby powder on your legs too.

Latex or Silicone with Neoprene Backing

1. Roll the latex or silicone down. THIS IS TRICKY BECAUSE IT'S THICKER. If you're not careful and pull too hard, you can cause fraying at your waist line, or make the neoprene separate from the silicone or latex. I find it worked best for me when I folded it down in increments. Do not do this over a rough surface, as when you begin to move around you may damage the material. Put a yoga mat or tiled floor beneath you. If you have extra fins on your neoprene, be very mindful of how you fold things down because you don't want to damage them, and also, you don't want to damage them when you unroll it either.

2.Once the neoprene is folded all the way down, start with one foot. Put it into the fin pocket. If there are straps, be sure they're adjusted to fit comfortably. Monofins and fins can be uncomfortable to a degree- that's normal. If the straps are too uncomfortable you can put a thin piece of foam on them. Once one foot is in- expect the second to be more difficult. Put it in like before. You will find it harder because of the narrow space- THIS IS NORMAL. Take your time. Don't rush. Wiggling around too much is what ends up damaging a tail. If you need to tie a piece of string to the straps that you can use to pull the strap out for your heel. If it's really tight, lubing up your feet can help. 3. Start unrolling the tail once both legs are in. Slowly, take your time, and smooth out wrinkles as you go. Get a second pair of hands as you need to. This is not a race. You will learn to get your tail on faster as you get comfortable, for now, take it slow or you WILL damage it. IF you get your tail to your butt and have trouble (getting over bathing suit fabric can be hard) you may want to get some help to carefully stand or lean in your tail. ONLY DO THIS IF YOUR TAIL IS STRONG ENOUGH TO BE STOOD IN. Then you can have someone help you pull the rest of the tail up like a pair of pants.

IMPORTANT TIPS: Sometimes neoprene is easier to get on dryer. Wearing a pair of tights underneath can help you slide it on, or putting baby powder on your legs too. Neoprene can separate from silicone or latex because of general wear and tear, because of the way you're rolling it up or down, or if it's forced to stretch too much.

RECENT TRICK I LEARNED:

Use a towel to help you pull up the tail, pull the waist, or smooth out wrinkles on silicone tails. Just put the towel between your hands and the tail and grip THROUGH the tail. Gives you a better grip than bare hands, and prevents you from poking holes with your nails or accidentally tearing.

Pure Silicone or Latex With Mesh or No Backing

1. Roll the latex or silicone down. THIS IS TRICKY BECAUSE IT'S THICKER. If you're not careful and pull too hard, you can cause fraying at your waist line, cause cracks in the silicone or latex, or little holes. LONG NAILS WILL CAUSE HOLES IN YOUR SILICONE OR LATEX. They poke through. Silicone and latex are also very sticky, and will stick to anything around you like sand. Do not do this over a rough surface, as when you begin to move around you may damage the material. Put a yoga mat or tiled floor beneath you. If you have extra fins on your tail, be very mindful of how you fold things down because you don't want to damage them, and also, you don't want to damage them when you unroll it either.

2.Once the tail is folded all the way down, start with one foot. Put it into the fin pocket. If there are straps, be sure they're adjusted to fit comfortably. Monofins and fins can be uncomfortable to a degree- that's normal. If the straps are too uncomfortable you can put a thin piece of foam on them. Once one foot is in- expect the second to be more difficult. Put it in like before. You will find it harder because of the narrow space- THIS IS NORMAL. Take your time. Don't rush. Wiggling around too much is what ends up damaging a tail. If you need to tie a piece of string to the straps that you can use to pull the strap out for your heel. If it's really tight, lubing up your feet can help.

3. At this point you'll either need to be wet, or lubed, or both. Silicone and latex will stick to your skin and bathing suit. You can lube up with different things depending on your tail. Sex toy lube is great but make sure you buy the right ones. Silicone lube can't be used on silicone products or it'll bond. Simply read the labels or the websites to find out which type works for which material. You can also use diluted mineral oil, or all natural body lotions and creams. Get them all over your entire legs and bathing suit bottom. Alternatively, you can try a pair of tights that have a sheen and get them soaked first. The sheen will often allow you to slip in, but also give them silicone something to stick to when you swim and prevent gaping.

4. Start unrolling the tail once both legs are in. Slowly, take your time, and smooth out wrinkles as you go. Get a second pair of hands as you need to. This is not a race. You will learn to get your tail on faster as you get comfortable, for now, take it slow or you WILL damage it. IF you get your tail to your butt and have trouble (getting over bathing suit fabric can be hard) you may want to get some help to carefully stand or lean in your tail. ONLY DO THIS IF YOUR TAIL IS STRONG ENOUGH TO BE STOOD IN. Then you can have someone help you pull the rest of the tail up like a pair of pants. The best way to get in on it either right in the water, or lying down flat and pulling it up.

RECENT TRICK I LEARNED:

Use a towel to help you pull up the tail, pull the waist, or smooth out wrinkles on silicone tails. Just put the towel between your hands and the tail and grip THROUGH the tail. Gives you a better grip than bare hands, and prevents you from poking holes with your nails or accidentally tearing.

MOST OF THE DAMAGE THAT HAPPENS TO TAILS, HAPPENS WHEN YOU PUT THEM ON, TAKE THEM OFF, AND DON'T CLEAN THEM RIGHT AWAY. Some wear and tear is 100% normal, these are COSTUMES not solid prosthetic.Consider that for h20 and Splash each tail needed to be repaired after each swim, and sometimes there were multiple tails for multiple scenes. SO it's normal, even though you paid a lot of money, even though it's expensive materials, for tails to have wear and tear even after a few swims. It's all in how you maintain it, how you use it and wear, and how you're putting it on and off.

Don't bug other mermaids to make videos of themselves putting tails off and on. Most people look awful doing it because we have to crouch all over. There are already several videos online for putting on tails you can google.

Edit: another video

Also, You can see mermaid Ama put her tail on in this video clip:

And see Naida put the same tail on here:
    Last edited by AniaR; 02-25-2015 at 07:34 PM.

Also, I cannot stress how much easier water-based lube has made getting my neoprene tail on!
    Feel free to friend me on Facebook

Good tips!

Normally neoprene tails are put on better dry. However the really tight ones (like [what I've been told] Merbella Studios basic tails are) you can use the following- cheap v05 hair conditioner, water based personal lubricant, or Suit Slip. You can also use those 3 things on a full silicone tail, but I'm not sure about the wear that may occur from using conditioner or suit slip, so I personally stick with water based lube.

DO NOT use anything petroleum based on a neoprene and/or latex tail! It WILL damage it! This includes Vaseline! This can sneak into other products, so I suggest you research what other names and shapes petroleum products take form as on an ingredient list and make sure any lotion you use doesn't have that.

My research has lead me to believe that using anything with mineral oil in it is not good for full silicone tails. This includes baby oil (mineral oil with scent is what baby oil is). If you want to use a cream or lotion, I suggest you research what other names mineral oil can be called on an ingredient list and make sure any lotion you use doesn't have that.

Water based lube + spray bottle full of plain water = full silicone tail putting on ease. Easier than putting it on in the water, even

I recorded the very first time I put on my Merbella Studios full silicone tail. It was also the first time I'd ever put on any full silicone tail! It's the most popular video on my channel at the moment.

I also made a video of me putting it on "dry" (with lube and water) that I may post. My advice for anyone who has a full silicone tail is to chop your nails off. I check my nails every time before I swim and cut them short and file any rough edges. Then I use a towel to grab the waist to pull it up so there's a very small chance my nails will do any damage at all.

Raina's right about care too. I seriously spend hours caring for my tail after a swim sometimes. No less than an hour total usually because I have to rinse it, I usually do a baking soda rinse or soak after the initial rinse, rinse it with more fresh water and go over it with the soft side of a virgin sponge, then dry it out completely with towels. You can find more about caring for you tail here- ☆ Tail Care and Maintenance, The Official Thread ☆ (Which I will update shortly.)

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Linked this thread in the tailmaking reference index under "basics" as well

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Yeah I should put it in the prothread too

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    From my series: What to expect with your first mermaid tail: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...our-first-tail

How to put on your mermaid tail:

Fabric or ONLY NEOPRENE With Swim Fins or Monofins.

1.Put your monofin or swim fins in the fluke pocket by rolling the fabric down as far as it goes. You may need to slightly bend your monofin to get it in. Don't apply too much pressure- you don't want the monofin to snap. You may find it helpful to have a second pair of hands. One pair to hold the tail open, the other to put in the fins.

2. Once the fins are in roll the fabric down so that it's folded and not bunched, as far down as it'll go, CAREFULLY. Do not do this over a rough surface, as when you begin to move around you may damage the material. Put a yoga mat or tiled floor beneath you. If you have extra fins on your fabric or neoprene, be very mindful of how you fold things down because you don't want to damage them, and also, you don't want to damage them when you unroll it either.

3. Once the fabric is rolled down, start with one foot. Put it into the fin pocket. If there are straps, be sure they're adjusted to fit comfortably. Monofins and fins can be uncomfortable to a degree- that's normal. If the straps are too uncomfortable you can put a thin piece of foam on them. Once one foot is in- expect the second to be more difficult. Put it in like before. You will find it harder because of the narrow space- THIS IS NORMAL. Take your time. Don't rush. Wiggling around too much is what ends up damaging a tail. If you need to tie a piece of string to the straps that you can use to pull the strap out for your heel. If it's really tight, lubing up your feet can help. 4. Start unrolling the tail once both legs are in. Slowly, take your time, and smooth out wrinkles as you go. Get a second pair of hands as you need to. This is not a race. You will learn to get your tail on faster as you get comfortable, for now, take it slow or you WILL damage it. IF you get your tail to your butt and have trouble (getting over bathing suit fabric can be hard) you may want to get some help to carefully stand or lean in your tail. ONLY DO THIS IF YOUR TAIL IS STRONG ENOUGH TO BE STOOD IN. Then you can have someone help you pull the rest of the tail up like a pair of pants.

IMPORTANT TIP: Sometimes neoprene is easier to get on dryer. Wearing a pair of tights underneath can help you slide it on, or putting baby powder on your legs too.

Latex or Silicone with Neoprene Backing

1. Roll the latex or silicone down. THIS IS TRICKY BECAUSE IT'S THICKER. If you're not careful and pull too hard, you can cause fraying at your waist line, or make the neoprene separate from the silicone or latex. I find it worked best for me when I folded it down in increments. Do not do this over a rough surface, as when you begin to move around you may damage the material. Put a yoga mat or tiled floor beneath you. If you have extra fins on your neoprene, be very mindful of how you fold things down because you don't want to damage them, and also, you don't want to damage them when you unroll it either.

2.Once the neoprene is folded all the way down, start with one foot. Put it into the fin pocket. If there are straps, be sure they're adjusted to fit comfortably. Monofins and fins can be uncomfortable to a degree- that's normal. If the straps are too uncomfortable you can put a thin piece of foam on them. Once one foot is in- expect the second to be more difficult. Put it in like before. You will find it harder because of the narrow space- THIS IS NORMAL. Take your time. Don't rush. Wiggling around too much is what ends up damaging a tail. If you need to tie a piece of string to the straps that you can use to pull the strap out for your heel. If it's really tight, lubing up your feet can help. 3. Start unrolling the tail once both legs are in. Slowly, take your time, and smooth out wrinkles as you go. Get a second pair of hands as you need to. This is not a race. You will learn to get your tail on faster as you get comfortable, for now, take it slow or you WILL damage it. IF you get your tail to your butt and have trouble (getting over bathing suit fabric can be hard) you may want to get some help to carefully stand or lean in your tail. ONLY DO THIS IF YOUR TAIL IS STRONG ENOUGH TO BE STOOD IN. Then you can have someone help you pull the rest of the tail up like a pair of pants.

IMPORTANT TIPS: Sometimes neoprene is easier to get on dryer. Wearing a pair of tights underneath can help you slide it on, or putting baby powder on your legs too. Neoprene can separate from silicone or latex because of general wear and tear, because of the way you're rolling it up or down, or if it's forced to stretch too much.

Pure Silicone or Latex With Mesh or No Backing

1. Roll the latex or silicone down. THIS IS TRICKY BECAUSE IT'S THICKER. If you're not careful and pull too hard, you can cause fraying at your waist line, cause cracks in the silicone or latex, or little holes. LONG NAILS WILL CAUSE HOLES IN YOUR SILICONE OR LATEX. They poke through. Silicone and latex are also very sticky, and will stick to anything around you like sand. Do not do this over a rough surface, as when you begin to move around you may damage the material. Put a yoga mat or tiled floor beneath you. If you have extra fins on your tail, be very mindful of how you fold things down because you don't want to damage them, and also, you don't want to damage them when you unroll it either.

2.Once the tail is folded all the way down, start with one foot. Put it into the fin pocket. If there are straps, be sure they're adjusted to fit comfortably. Monofins and fins can be uncomfortable to a degree- that's normal. If the straps are too uncomfortable you can put a thin piece of foam on them. Once one foot is in- expect the second to be more difficult. Put it in like before. You will find it harder because of the narrow space- THIS IS NORMAL. Take your time. Don't rush. Wiggling around too much is what ends up damaging a tail. If you need to tie a piece of string to the straps that you can use to pull the strap out for your heel. If it's really tight, lubing up your feet can help.

3. At this point you'll either need to be wet, or lubed, or both. Silicone and latex will stick to your skin and bathing suit. You can lube up with different things depending on your tail. Sex toy lube is great but make sure you buy the right ones. Silicone lube can't be used on silicone products or it'll bond. Simply read the labels or the websites to find out which type works for which material. You can also use diluted mineral oil, or all natural body lotions and creams. Get them all over your entire legs and bathing suit bottom. Alternatively, you can try a pair of tights that have a sheen and get them soaked first. The sheen will often allow you to slip in, but also give them silicone something to stick to when you swim and prevent gaping.

4. Start unrolling the tail once both legs are in. Slowly, take your time, and smooth out wrinkles as you go. Get a second pair of hands as you need to. This is not a race. You will learn to get your tail on faster as you get comfortable, for now, take it slow or you WILL damage it. IF you get your tail to your butt and have trouble (getting over bathing suit fabric can be hard) you may want to get some help to carefully stand or lean in your tail. ONLY DO THIS IF YOUR TAIL IS STRONG ENOUGH TO BE STOOD IN. Then you can have someone help you pull the rest of the tail up like a pair of pants. The best way to get in on it either right in the water, or lying down flat and pulling it up.

MOST OF THE DAMAGE THAT HAPPENS TO TAILS, HAPPENS WHEN YOU PUT THEM ON, TAKE THEM OFF, AND DON'T CLEAN THEM RIGHT AWAY. Some wear and tear is 100% normal, these are COSTUMES not solid prosthetic.Consider that for h20 and Splash each tail needed to be repaired after each swim, and sometimes there were multiple tails for multiple scenes. SO it's normal, even though you paid a lot of money, even though it's expensive materials, for tails to have wear and tear even after a few swims. It's all in how you maintain it, how you use it and wear, and how you're putting it on and off.

Don't bug other mermaids to make videos of themselves putting tails off and on. Most people look awful doing it because we have to crouch all over. There are already several videos online for putting on tails you can google.

Also, You can see mermaid Ama put her tail on in this video clip:

And see Naida put the same tail on here:
    An excellent post

Senior Member Pod of Cali spottedcatfish's Avatar
    Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    Follow spottedcatfish on Tumblr Visit spottedcatfish's Youtube Channel
    Admins: This thread should be stickied.

Admins: This thread should be stickied.
    Agreed.
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

I'm glad people enjoy it

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    Does anyone know if JLube is safe to use with your tail? It's the lube that comes in a powder form and you can dump it in a water bottle, shake it up, and get lube. One bottle of powder makes gallons of lube (you don't even want to know what kind of club I was at when I discovered this stuff, LOL, but as my friend JLube Jack said "you can never have too much lube!"). I am just not sure if it is okay for silicone. It's fine on latex clothes and other special latex things, though!

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Jorvet-J0109-J.../dp/B006G2S17A
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Jlube sounds wonderful! But the PEG in it is water soluble silicone I think. So it is probably not good for silicone tails. Just a thought.

Senior Member Pod of The South MermanZen's Avatar
    This really helps, I know with a neoprene/latex tail I would have had to roll it down but this gives you a lot of tips to put your tail on correctly thanks for the advice

Add Seatan on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Golden Pearl View Post
    Jlube sounds wonderful! But the PEG in it is water soluble silicone I think. So it is probably not good for silicone tails. Just a thought.
    How do you tell the difference in the lube types? I don't know what to buy...
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Some lube will bond to latex or silicone. You need to read the info on the bottle to know what its safe for.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Add Seatan on Facebook
    Someone said on here that JLube is silicone based but everywhere I read it says it is water based. In fact, people have posts on JLube vs silicone lube. Where did you find that it has silicone in it?

Add Seatan on Facebook
    Okay, found my answer... JLube is safe for use with silicone. So in case you are looking to get six-eight gallons of lube from a ten dollar bottle, here is what the experts say about JLube:

J-Lube is a concentrated lubricant that comes in powder form. According to the bottle, it is manufactured for Jorgensen Laboratories in Loveland, Colorado and consists of 25% polyethylene polymer (polyethylene oxide) and 75% dispersing agent (sucrose, according to the MSDS which you can find here in ASCII text format and here in PDF format). When mixed with water, it produces a thick, clear, extremely slippery lubricant whose intended purpose is to aid in gynecological examinations for farm animals and to assist in cases of dystocia, or abnormal/difficult labor during childbirth. However, it is, without a doubt, the best lubricant I have ever encountered. It is inexpensive (around $10 for two to six gallons of lubricant, depending on the recipe), easy to mix (just add water!), and contains no extraneous chemicals or preservatives (unless you put them in when mixing it). And since it's water based, it's fully latex condom compatible as well as being safe for use with silicone toys.

yes, I am aware that URL is terrifying. But there are no pictures or sexual details on it, just a fairly clinical FAQ about everything you could ever need to know about JLube!

I think there's different types of Jlube, the first one I bought had silicone in it >.> and I actually didn't read all the ingredients because I was told it didn't. But I took it back (can you imagine that conversation?) and got the water based one instead.

Add Seatan on Facebook
    LOL... "Hi I need to return my lubricant..." Yeah, I bet that was amusing haha.

it thankfully did not have a broken seal, lol

Senior Member Pod of The South MermanZen's Avatar
    I hope I can get my tail on without damaging it, all I can do is take it slow