Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The official HOW TO PUT ON YOUR MERMAID TAIL thread

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    I bet you'll be okay, Merman Zen. I have a teensey tinsey waist and big, child bearing hips, but I'm not too worried about getting it on. I haven't heard of anyone who measured properly and had a tail made in the proper size not be able to get it on. I have worn a lot of clothing (mostly latex dresses and catsuits) that requires lubrication to put on because it is so tight and rubbery, but in the end the upside to tight and rubbery is that it does stretch enough to get on then it springs back into place. Since mermen usually have a closet waist-to-hip ratio, it will probably be easier for you than a lot of women who are smaller in the middle. The ladies at FinFolk say that after I get used to it, I should be able to get it on with just water, so that means it must be easier to get on than latex clothing. (There is NO getting into a latex catsuit without lubrication or body powdering... It will just frustrate you for hours!) So I wouldn't worry about it!
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

hey there, a bit confused now: Raina said diluted Mineral Oil, but Iona said not to use that? Someone mentioned Coconut oil to me, is that safe? I just got my tail today, and have a gig on Sat, so I don't have enough time to order something online. It look me 30 min to get my tail on without anything..LOL...

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Coconut oil won't eat into silicone...Mineral oil? No idea.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Lube isn't so much a concern if you're going right in the water. The water dilutes it and washes it away. Its more an issue when it sits in the tail. It can cause mold growth and eat away at silicone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

what do you recommend for dry events then? I tried using the powder and was able to get it on in about 15 min...but had a hard time getting my feet all the way in the foot pockets

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Lube isn't so much a concern if you're going right in the water. The water dilutes it and washes it away. Its more an issue when it sits in the tail. It can cause mold growth and eat away at silicone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

is yours neoprene on the inside? dry is better for neoprene. try shiny tights! like the ones that look like fake leather. I always found those helped me slide into my neoprene lined tail (well, neoprin, lol)

is yours neoprene on the inside? dry is better for neoprene. try shiny tights! like the ones that look like fake leather. I always found those helped me slide into my neoprene lined tail (well, neoprin, lol)
    No, it is pure silicine, though it has a texture on the inside....but I have never seen the inside of a silicone tail, so it is probably normal. LOL

oh likely mesh. then in that case you wanna be wet and use some sort of lube!!! I find aveeno hand cream the easiest for me. dont get discouraged over it taking a while, you'll get the hang of it.

should I bring like a spray bottle? and spray my legs down? LOL

if you aren't near water then yes, but if you're at the pool just hop in first and then get out, put lube on, and wriggle in!

Thanks Raina! I wish there was a pool! It is a Fantasy Festival in the middle of a grassy field

@Shimmy Goddess - Make sure you stay in the shade! The last thing you want in a dry event is to be in a silicone tail while sitting in the sun. You will literally BAKE! And keep a lot of water nearby to drink. You'll sweat like nobody's business. XD
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    Mernetwork Moderator

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    Absolutely! Have a parasol, sunblock, and lots and lots of water to dump into your tail and on it. No fried mermaid legs, okay, shimmy? Be safe! <3

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Yeah, I made the mistake of getting a tent that only covered me for part of the day at my last festival and the sun baked my fins so terribly! The event director brought out a small rubbermaid of water for me to put my fin in and the kids loved splashing me with it.
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    Mernetwork Moderator

I use ordinary hair conditioner to get my tail on. It's cheap, smells pretty and doesn't wreck the silicone.

^ another good idea, though when I tried it I got a rash all over my skin so I'd suggest people do a patch test to be sure. People often suggest using conditioner to shave your legs too and different chemicals can be hard on your skin. So test it out

^ another good idea, though when I tried it I got a rash all over my skin so I'd suggest people do a patch test to be sure. People often suggest using conditioner to shave your legs too and different chemicals can be hard on your skin. So test it out
    Funny you should say that because I DO shave my legs with conditioner! I find it causes less nicks (also helps to shave along the grain, too. And I use a safety razor, not store bought plastic razors.)

Hey, quick question. I put my silicone tail on for the first time today and noticed that after pulling my tail up, normally it should stick to skin from what I have read. Since I put it on myself I couldn't pull it up as I wanted and it wouldn't come up as high as I expected. Does anyone know material that silicone will stick to even when wet?

Thanks
    MerMatt

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    For new mers with fabric tails.

I've taken to dipping the fluke end of my tail with my Wave inside into the water, and wetting my feet, before I put the tail on.

It helps so that I can make the straps really tight, so I don't have to stop to adjust if I had put on everything dry.

@Ireneho thank you very much!
    (Formerly known as Mermaid Claudia)