Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The official HOW TO PUT ON YOUR MERMAID TAIL thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lorelei View Post
    @Shimmy Goddess - Make sure you stay in the shade! The last thing you want in a dry event is to be in a silicone tail while sitting in the sun. You will literally BAKE! And keep a lot of water nearby to drink. You'll sweat like nobody's business. XD
    Are UV rays bad for silicone? I remember hearing somewhere that the sun's rays can break down the silicone if it's left out too long, so you should always try to keep your tail in the shade on really sunny days.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Basically everything is bad for silicone lol. Everything will wear away eventually. UV fades most colors on any surface over time

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel

The official HOW TO PUT ON YOUR MERMAID TAIL thread

"Basically everything is bad for silicone" hahaha I'm starting to realize this

Sent from my shellphone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Euro Pod Vicky Mermaid's Avatar
    Well i found it the easiest way to put on a neoprene tail dry... For the Thom Shouse Wettail i found a very simple solution. Just regular hair shampoo mixed with warm water.i would pour some in the tail and on my legs before i wiggled myself in the tail. Inside the wettail was a rapid monofin but without heel straps. That way you could slip into the tail with stretched legs. I do'nt know if this will work when my silicone tail arrives

this is a thread for putting on a tail. you'll have to go to another thread or into the tail making part of the site for those questions

Sorry I got confused
    Magic is key to all life when we are children we feel it all around us but as we grow older it fades away however there are few where it stays with us and it is our job to remind everyone it's still there

Quote Originally Posted by Vicky Mermaid View Post
    Well i found it the easiest way to put on a neoprene tail dry... For the Thom Shouse Wettail i found a very simple solution. Just regular hair shampoo mixed with warm water.i would pour some in the tail and on my legs before i wiggled myself in the tail. Inside the wettail was a rapid monofin but without heel straps. That way you could slip into the tail with stretched legs. I do'nt know if this will work when my silicone tail arrives
    Don't you mean conditioner? Shampoo would probably make things even more difficult, what with the stripping of oils and lathering and whatnot. Conditioner is the slippery stuff Also yes, you can use hair conditioner, but honestly it isn't made for that, and becuase of what's in (silicones, fragrances, ect) it it can damage silicone over time. I'd advise you to stick with either water based lube, natural oils like coconut oil or mineral oil, or something specific like suitslip.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

No no we really used shampoo with hot water. It worked perfectly! But a wettail by Thom Shouse is made from urethan with a latex paintjob. But silicone is different indeed. But thanks for your tips Iona

when I met Thom at Merfest he also told me many of his tails are equipped so you can flush them out with water while wearing them, to get rid of different lubes right away, to get rid of pee (haha) or debris/sand.

Yep that is true hihi. He makes little tubes in the fluke of the tail so that the water can get out. In some of the pictures you can see them.

a vlog about putting tails on

I just re-read this thread looking for a specific brand of water based lube to use and couldnt find any. So my question is simple, what specific brands of water based lube work for silicone tails? Since my tail was made with Dragonskin Silicone, and in the welcome letter I received from Jesse, he doesnt mention a specific brand, so thats why I am asking for specific brands. Thanks

Slippery stuff is great

Thanks Raina.

I use astro glide and a little spray bottle of water to spread it around

Is it best to put on a latex tail in or out of water?

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    I found a hair conditioner that doesn't have silicone in it and it's worked pretty good for me.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I've been using coconut oil cooking spray from Trader Joe's (their version of PAM) and it works great and washes out easily! I've tried spraying my legs, and another time, spraying inside the tail, and both are perfectly fine for slipping into a tight silicone tail! Plus, it doesn't take very much at all.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    I've been using coconut oil cooking spray from Trader Joe's (their version of PAM) and it works great and washes out easily! I've tried spraying my legs, and another time, spraying inside the tail, and both are perfectly fine for slipping into a tight silicone tail! Plus, it doesn't take very much at all.
    I'll bet that smells pretty good, too.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    You smell like a cookie and your skin loves it!