Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The official HOW TO PUT ON YOUR MERMAID TAIL thread

What are som big no-no's lubewise when you're swimming in a chlorine pool?
    Don't want to clog up the system...

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Coconut oil is great. As long as your lube either absorbs or is diluted by water youre fine. It mostly stays in your tail anyway

What kind of coconut oil does everyone use? Whenever I leave it on my skin for too long it starts to smell..odd. Also I'm struggling putting my feet in the foot pockets and I only got one foot in, I'm concerned about being able to take the tail off once I get it on.

Virgin coconut oil. Its always hard to get off and on when you first start. Like hella hard lol

Ok thanks it's definitely very hard haha i was grunting just to get one foot in! I don't know how you do it

Practice and lube hehe. Don't be discouraged!

Thanks! I accomplished to get both feet in this time but couldn't get it above my knees. It's a step further than yesterday though

My tail has a pair of hipfins, that restrict me from rolling it down.
    It makes it harder to reach down to the footpockets.
    Do you have any tips/tricks/substitute for rolling it down?

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yulia View Post
    My tail has a pair of hipfins, that restrict me from rolling it down.
    It makes it harder to reach down to the footpockets.
    Do you have any tips/tricks/substitute for rolling it down?
    Can you fold it down past the hip fins?

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelia View Post
    Can you fold it down past the hip fins?
    I tried, but it doesn't really work. The fins sit on the side and go almost down to the knees.

another video we made a while back

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Hehehe! Sean face plant into the water!

Good try for first time in a tail.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Such a cure vid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread will be perfect for when i can finally save the cash for my perfect (design not on here) and first silicone tail will probably try in water without lube though will also probably have to do it on my own lol. Which I can ee will be difficult but in the meantime I hope to get a fin and have practice swimming with a fin! Can't wait!

RECENT TRICK I LEARNED:

Use a towel to help you pull up the tail, pull the waist, or smooth out wrinkles on silicone tails. Just put the towel between your hands and the tail and grip THROUGH the tail. Gives you a better grip than bare hands, and prevents you from poking holes with your nails or accidentally tearing.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I've got swimwear lining in two of my homemade tails...

Boy, it is a pain in the rear to put on wet or dry! It involves 15 mins of tugging and shoving my hands inside front and back just to arrange that extra fabric just right and to make sure the tail sits right on legs and fluke.

The reason I have lining is that, the seams made me itchy and I thought having lining would also stop me from feeling chilled when I'm on a long swim, which it does. But bleh! For the sake of not feeling cold in and out of the water, it is worth it!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    For new mers with fabric tails.

I've taken to dipping the fluke end of my tail with my Wave inside into the water, and wetting my feet, before I put the tail on.

It helps so that I can make the straps really tight, so I don't have to stop to adjust if I had put on everything dry.
    Oh! Thank you very much for posting this tip! Most of the tips on this thread are for silicone tails, but I'm just starting out with my fabric tail. I've been looking for advice for taking it on and off safely.

Anyone have any ideas on how to pull your tail up higher? It seems to slip down on me when I swim at even a medium fast speed. Is this normal? Today was my first day with my silicone tail, so I had lots of drama and I have lots of questions... lol

it could be you have lube hanging around once you get in the water. I try to use something all natural so if I rinse it- it wont hurt any wildlife. So when I go in the pool the first thing I do is open the waist line and let in some water and try to swish things around a bit.

For me the only thing that 100% keeps my tail from coming down is having the waist up high, and tight. But there are disadvantages to that too. If you have a tight waist you still need to get it over your booty and it can cause wear and tear.

Sometimes increasing the surface area the tail can grip to will keep it from coming off. I used to do that with my first silicone tail that was a bit baggier on me. I'd wear tights, or bike shorts inside it. Super hard to get on, but once it was on the silicone had something to grip on instead of slippery skin. Kept it from slipping or falling down.

my tail has a large dorsal and hip fins so rolling it down isn't exactly an option, any tips for that?