Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Star's First Tailmaking Experience

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    There's only so many ways to may scale molds. I even suggested once using guitar pics! They're a perfect shape but you'd need an awful lot haha. I think the holy puncher is a really smart idea, I wonder if there are any other puncher shapes like diamond maybe?

This is so amazing Star! You are so talented
    Mermaid Shelly
    www.mermaidshelly.com

AniaR, I will field this one for Star, There are several, Hole punch shapes, and sizes. Including Diamond shape as well. If you want to see go to any hobby store, or any that carry things for scrap booking and you will find them. I however am now stuck with the though of how to get 2,000 or so guitar picks. I want to make the first rock star tail

Im seriously thinking a tail made from guitar pics needs to be done.

Nice , looks exactly like MDV's scale shape design

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid Star's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Star On Twitter Add Mermaid Star on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Star's Youtube Channel
    The hole punch is the most cost effective method, I think. No matter the shape. The great thing about it is that you really can get them in a bunch of verying shapes and sizes. They are just so perfect, lightweight and inexpensive.

there's only so many scale shapes, diamond, hexagon, circle, or a press from a net or metal.

Senior Member Pod of The South
    That is really great. How good is the adhesive on the foam sheets? Would they stick to a base surface pretty well, u think?

Sirenia, I am not really sure I know what you mean by base surface. The adhesive sticks well enough to hold on to the board while I am working. I sit it on its side while in storage between working sessions and they stay put, but I wouldn't take it in the water. I hope that helps, if you are asking about something more specific,please let me know and I will try to answer to the best on my ability.

In other news, I finished 20 inches of scale texture last night! Yay! If I keep this up, I could be finished with it by this weekend, but we will see. Fins crossed!

Well, for instance, if someone were to apply them directly onto, say, a neoprene base, or a stretched fabric base, is the adhesive a really good adhesive that would stick well, or would you say adding glue/a couple of stitches to hold each one on would be recommended?

she's using these to make a mold as I understand it, not to be the actual scales on a tail. I dont think the material or the backing would hold up in water. Might work for a cosplay tail tho

One would have to be extra careful about scuffing up the foam - I imagine it would easily tear, but aside from extra care being needed, I don't see why they wouldn't work as an actual piece to use in a tail. Seemes there wouldn't be toooooo much more work doing it like this than really carefully painting scales on a material. And with these, you'd get a nice 3 dimensional texture, too, as opposed to a flat surface.

lol, I suppose I just try to think of every way possible to avoid molds and such. A lady I work with who went to a special FX school keeps trying to get me to talk to her regarding mermaid tail constructions so she can make casts, and molds, and all the headache stuff.... I just want to work off of a flat base.I promise, it really isn't out of laziness. In my single life, I'd probably be more interested in the molding aspects of tail making, but with so little time, and space, and the baby... I suppose I just am trying to keep things as simple as possible, and taking up as little space as can be.

I still like to take in ideas from everything I come across though, and see how it might be used for some new, neat meathod of more basic tail construction.

Hmm... It might work to just put the circles onto your tail, but you would have to either sew them on pretty well or use a good adhesive. Another problem you might have with using foam circles directly on your tail may be buoyancy. They may make you flat a bit and you may have to really fight the tail to dive down as it might turn into a massive fun noodle. But if you try it out, let us know how it works out!

Here is a picture of the 20 inches of foam circles laid out. I am going to work on more today. Lets see how far I can get!

That is amazing! How much foam have you used up so far?

Hey... I just thought of something back when the pumpkin seed method was being tried, and filling in spaces with clay... what if you laid out your seeds and then poured a varnish over them... maybe the liquid would fill in the spaces for you, and dry on its own- meaning you wouldn't have to do a bit by bit sculpting in with the clay. Just a thought.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    I love the scale sheet so far! The scales overlap so nicely<3

I'm glad you thought of using foam disks. I think I'll have to try that when I make my tail someday.

friend made a tail of that craft foam and it ended BADLY!! the scales got all messed up. ill ask if i can take a pic of the tail.she was devistated cuz the swatch she made was fine but the tail wasnt.
    come find Mermaid-Odette on facebook!
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    What went wrong with it? Did the foam become damaged before she could make her mold with it?

she glued it on the tail. stayed for awhile.paint got all crinkly, glue wore at the edges and the foam bend in all directions.she only wore it about 5 times and was careful.
    it floated alot so she couldnt swim welll at all.couldnt put latex over it as it flaked off. constant work to try and make it work. total disaster! its heart breaking when something like this doesnt work.

i REALLY hope using them as a mold works well.that would be great to use cheaper molding materials.
    and stitching foam tears it up.
    come find Mermaid-Odette on facebook!
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY