Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Merpalooza 2013- Keep us updated! Pics and stories plz!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

Merpalooza 2013- Keep us updated! Pics and stories plz!

Since the other thread has so many pages and isn't just about what's happening this weekend. Here's a new one! Those of us who can't or didn't go wanna live vicariously. So if you're there, feel free to share photos and stories!

(side note, please let me know if you post merpalooza pics to deviantART so I can feature them in my group!)

I've been sharing images I have found on fb through the mernetwork page!

Secret location shoot: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3117465&type=1

Christomers photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4781305&type=1

Mermaid Marla has been posting photos to her wall: https://www.facebook.com/mermaidmarla

Wow everyone looks like they are having so much fun! I love Caribbean Pearl! She's hamming it up as usual

Senior Member Pod of The South Ariadne's Avatar
    Add Ariadne on Facebook
    Officially jealous! Next year for sure!

:/ I'm glad these guys ARE having fun, but since making this thread I've had two vendors and several participants message me to tell me it's terrible Guess we'll have to see what people decide to post and share

Merpalooza 2013- Keep us updated! Pics and stories plz!

I just left there and took some pictures of Mertailor and Finfolk tails. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376155918.059863.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  20.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376155931.870244.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  16.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376155942.686763.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  16.8 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376155961.752480.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  18.4 KB

So cool! Wish I could've gone! :O
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Exciting!
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

I hope that next year they'll pick another date for it ( hopefully sometime in the middle of the summer.) And hopefully I'll be able to go with an awesome tail!

Exclamation Merpalooza 2013 Pics! Give um up!

Still waiting... looks like a ton of people went. I think i speak for many here that didnt go! Start posting and pics and sharing your experiences. Ive only been able to find 10 pics in scattered places.

That's my voice at the beginning of the video and I am featured in the article too! Under real name though Jennifer OBremski. WOOHOO. Visit my fb page for pics.. working on gathering images slowly... Event just ended so might be day or two before all pics are posted... SOme people are still traveling. I just got home at 6am today from florida... UBEr tired still

I started a thread already for this http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...nd-stories-plz! got some pics on it already too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Matanzas View Post
    I just left there and took some pictures of Mertailor and Finfolk tails. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376155918.059863.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  20.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376155931.870244.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  16.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376155942.686763.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  16.8 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376155961.752480.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  18.4 KB
    You sure that's a Finfolk tail? Looks a lot like a Mernation tail?

Senior Member Pod of The South WavyMermaidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MerEmma View Post
    You sure that's a Finfolk tail? Looks a lot like a Mernation tail?
    Emma is correct...that's a MerNation tail on the right there

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid_Dominique's Avatar
    Wish I could have gone too, it looks awesome!
    ''There's no great reward without great struggle''

Senior Member Pod of The South WavyMermaidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    :/ I'm glad these guys ARE having fun, but since making this thread I've had two vendors and several participants message me to tell me it's terrible Guess we'll have to see what people decide to post and share
    You know, I had a good time...and my hubby had fun too...and I'm glad we went (I mean, come on: it's a mermaid gathering! Any time that happens it's inherently awesome!) But on the other hand it wasn't my FAVORITE experience in the world, and there were definitely some disappointing aspects of it.

A lot of why I didn't LOVE it relates to organization/scheduling. I went last year, and I enjoyed it more last year...the facilities were bigger (there was one big room for th trade show), the pool was a little bigger and more private (and some kid who was there this year not associated with the convention pooped on the side of the pool...blech), there was more entertainment at the pool party, the scheduling was a LITTLE (read: teeny, tiny, smidgen-bit) more clear, etc. Above all else, that's my biggest beef...after a year to make scheduling better there's still no signage, schedules were still forthcoming on the website and never got posted, and the speakers' schedules weren't announced (and when I asked at the check-in they said speakers would "probably start around noon, but they'll probably start late"). The workshop I went to on Sunday probably had half the attendees it should have because people didn't know where it was going to be held and never found it...we heard about those folks later.

The rooms (there were 2) were really MUCH too small for the event...it was hard to maneuver, especially in the room with Mertailor's stuff b/c it took up the bulk of the room with lots of people wanting to take photos...I get it that he's a sponsor of the event, so that's great for him to have a big showcase...but the space was MUCH too small for that to happen the way it did...it was almost ridiculous. The other room (which also had lots of booths) had a REALLY tiny area for speakers (which again weren't really announced) and it was loud from the noise from people milling around. It was wedged in between a couple of vendor booths. And Carolyn Turgeon and Barbara Wynns plus Bonnie Georgiadis from Weeki Wachee and Lu Vickers who has co-written two books about Weeki were the speakers (at least the ones I got to see)...some really great mers that deserved a dedicated speaker time/space to be able to see and hear them.

At least LAST year there was a catwalk with a microphone...a dedicated "stage" space for speakers...not that there were many speakers last year, but they had the space for it (plus last year they had an EmCee who made announcements into the one big room, which was really helpful). There was also a small tail-maker forum on Friday, also in the small space, and it would be nice to have ALL the main tailmakers represented and have that be a really big part of the event (it was somewhat last minute and got started late).

Also this is kinda nit-picky but there was still no regulation about payment...they gave us hand stamps at the desk in the hall but there was no one REALLY checking..too many doors in and out...definitely no one checking at the pool party. So basically you could have just wandered into the trade show and the pool party without paying, and I guarantee people did...especially at the party. Just is a bummer to spend the 60 dollars for 2 people when we could have not paid (not that I would do that, but just saying) and gotten to do the same things. I don't mind paying for tickets if I know that it's regulated.

I'm not going to comment too much on the party b/c we didn't stay late. Hubby and I pretty much stayed to watch the pageant, chatted with some friends, and left not too long after. I didn't want to spend more money to be in the pageant, but I had some friends that did and they seemed to have fun. It was, as last year, fun to see all the different tails. Plus one of my mer-friends won International Mrs. Mermaid Queen

After having this for 2 years and MerCon, you'd think there would be more attention put into organization. It was great to see everyone gathered there and costumes and tails and personalities and meeting new people and reconnecting with friends...but without more organization, signage, itineraries, etc...it loses some of its potential magic.

So overall impression: it was fun but needs WAY more organization and space...also more speakers/forums, workshops, etc. Of course, it's all subjective...this is all just my personal opinion of it. Some people may have been there to mostly party and mingle, and they probably had a blast

So what I got from your experience Wavy, was that they need to sort of have separate rooms for th speakers and presenters (like at an anime convention? Where the vendor and artist alley were separate from the room(s) where any type of speaking was going on) , and the speakers didnt have a mic? Also, the entrance and tickets weren't organized (my first thought was that a stamp wouldn't be see-able anyway. ) something like those water proof wrist straps you get at watermarks would or maybe tags like at other conventions that you hang around your neck that people stationed outside of the doors would be able to see a stop anyone who isn't wearing one (and the chance for their to be different art on it every year or something would be nice and a way to Remeber the event)

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    nice gallery Raina. we can do a lot of fun things with them hehehe

(Forgive me, i couldn't resist...)

Name:  merpalooza-2013.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  91.9 KB