Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Merpalooza 2013- Keep us updated! Pics and stories plz!

You know, I've always wanted to start a small convention here and my parents always said "why not " because after all AZ is always good to swim in and you don't have to worry about any storms coming or clouds of it not being hot enough to go swimming. I just don't think many people would come out since most mers and tail making companies are based in Florida.and then there's that money issue lol

Well thats the third year in a row it sounds disorganized and clicky. There are just so many people in these forums, maybe someone here should go for it and create a Mer-Con or get together that involved good ideas and didnt make people feel left out. You could basically get forums suggestions all year to plan it.

Tried so hard to make this work. I took everything you guys said a related it to steph Sims but I don't know. . Sorry guys I did try. I think I'm out of this game. I could write a wall of text on this whole situation. Most of it involving our fav person

It's so sad to hear all this stuff went on behind the scenes (and sometimes right out in the open).

I was sad that I couldn't go (All my money is being diverted elsewhere currently) but on the other hand, hearing the drama and lack of structure in regards to the organizer... I dunno, that definitely makes me feel better about not having gone, but I don't like to feel better about not going because other people didn't enjoy it as much as they should have been able to!

I really wish I could help organize a convention out here in California. We have LOADS of beautiful venues, from convention centers to hotels, all on or near the beach/ocean... And our weather (at least in SoCal) is beautiful year round. It'd be the perfect place for a mermaid gathering, but sadly, I don't have the personal finances to even initiate something like this.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid_Dominique's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I'm curious too, how did the international mermaids work? I noticed Kylee is still after 3 years the international mermaid??? I know they flew Marie down last minute- she got next to NO acknowledgement last year. So I am hoping she did better this year.
    I might be wrong but I saw a post of the Mertailor and two of his mermaids won international mermaid apparently, mermaid Ashlynn (adult) and mermaid Paige (children).
    ''There's no great reward without great struggle''

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Dominique View Post
    I might be wrong but I saw a post of the Mertailor and two of his mermaids won international mermaid apparently, mermaid Ashlynn (adult) and mermaid Paige (children).
    You're right.
    I think the main reason no mer has created an event like this is because of money. It takes money to rent the venue and hotel block even before the event even happens and it's not certain that you'll make all of that money back.

Eh, in real pageants, former titleholders can still use the title as long as their year of service is included (since it is actually part of the title). Ex: International Mermaid 2011. Miss USA 2008. Miss America 2010. Normally, they're also not allowed to use their titles without the permission of their main overarching organization (so that the organization doesn't end up accidentally supporting a group or interest they don't want to, ex: Miss Whatever 2007 eats at Crabshack Ohio, you should too!). I still don't know how the mermaid pageant works though. I get that it is a 'legitimate pageant', but I only have experience with the main systems and don't know much about the standalone ones.

It's too bad about the convention though. I'm planning and directing a small festival up here in NY on my own for a different cause and it has so far been warmly accepted and supported. I wouldn't mind sharing my experiences along the way.
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Senior Member Pod of The South Ariadne's Avatar
    Add Ariadne on Facebook
    My husband would be perfect for this kind of thing - one of his last jobs in the military was coordinating an annual convention for the Army in Ft. Walton beach...he organized room blocks, the ballroom, the entertainment, the catering and the vendors. And he is very detailed, everything always ran smoothly. But he did have a military account set up and a budget to work with. No idea how he would be able to do it for us mers without that...

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    yeah but money- isn't that what sponsors are for? If it's a "for profit" event, I don't get why there are sponsors....

Senior Member Pod of The South Ariadne's Avatar
    Add Ariadne on Facebook
    True. No idea how they designed that to work. Also, why would someone not in the mer-community be in charge of the whole thing? Especially someone who rejects ideas and suggestions from the very people the event is designed to cater to...very odd.

Yes, we were checking hand stamps and watching the double doors by the pool. My booth was right at the double doors at the pool. Me and Kyle(Mermaids R Us) were watering the double doors.

There were wrist bands, and the intention was to use them, but it was determined by Scott that there may not be enough. (There would have been enough. Bad decision by him.) Gary bought dark blue and light blue silicone bands. Dark blue for adults and light blue for kids, and they glow in the dark. Kids would have loved them.

A lot of the "drama" was the fact that someone was in charge who should not have been in charge. I know the full story, and I am not at liberty to spill the beans.

I had an absolute blast swimming with everyone, and talking with everyone who came around to my booth.

This is the second installation, please give it a chance. MerPalooza will get better.

Vendor set up took place on Friday... (my suggestion to Steph!!) and prevented confusion on Saturday morning.

The problem with the pageant was.... The person who thought he was in charge, did not give direction, or have anyone out there setting up until everyone was out there.

Gary (Merman Jr), the Owner and creator of MerPalooza sat out on the planning this year.

I have offered myself and Mertender Dennis to be on the planning comity for MP2014. Hopefully Steph and Gary take me up on the offer. Dennis is very detail oriented, and already have a few ideas.

SO merpalooza, thanks for freaking encouraging art theft. Guess I shouldn't expect anything different????
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0642552&type=1

Reposted from the page that originally posted them where there are several of my tail including one photoshopped to blue: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7588228&type=1

Pardon my language, but not fucking impressed. I have legal stock people can purchase for this type of thing, and I do offer some for free for use on art websites, and outside of art websites given certain specifications and terms (obviously credit would be one)

And in my opinion, if you weren't paid to work for merpalooza, you shouldn't have had the responsibility of checking squat.

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Arella's Avatar
    Follow Arella On Twitter Add Arella on Facebook
    I saw that on fb and just thought, ...that isnt Raina in the photo... it's terrible that someone would steal your images

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    And in my opinion, if you weren't paid to work for merpalooza, you shouldn't have had the responsibility of checking squat.
    Same thing I was thinking. Sounds like you were vendors who were paying THEM to be there. They need to get their own volounteers for the event.

I'm pretty pissed, and merpalooza should know better than to endorse that

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Nerine: That sucks. Like, so hardcore. I haven't known you long, but I've been watching you get ready for this and I know how much work you put in, just to be kind of ignored... I'm so sorry. That was terribly douche-y of them to just leave you out there, there's no reason for that! I am glad I got to see you on TV, all your photos look great (even the silly faces, I love those ), and I'm glad you and Christomer had a good time (and he got crowned Mer-king, awesome!!!)

Raina: I PM-ed you about this, but I AM SO SORRY. I know this "artist" personally, and this is kind of to be expected from her. I'm kind of mortified now. Not that we were ever friends, but I'm so embarrassed I know this girl and she stole your work and on top of that, it's a horrible photoshop job with an overabundance of "sparklies". OMG I'm sorry. As if we couldn't identify your fluke from a mile away...
    Last edited by Miyu; 08-13-2013 at 11:53 PM.

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

It's not even a good photomanip :\
    Eh, it sucks that there are reasons to why I am so against posting my own photos online
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

THIS is exactly why I didn't go this year. I almost thought about it, just to give them the benefit of the doubt. But last year was horrible, this year seemed horrible. Honestly the only people that seemed to have any fun and stock in the whole event were the people I would have went with NCMerfolk!...if they hadn't gone, seems to me like there really wouldn't have been an event....I gave a lot of feedback last year for how to better organize this year. I didn't pay for tickets last year either, no one did (who hadn't already prepaid online)...there was no organization...and it was WAY too clique!! Everyone stays in their "pods" and no on really gets together to "meet and greet"...it's sad really. we're such a small community, you would think this sort of convention would be welcoming...but nope!