Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miyu's first shell top! Pic-heavy/Mini-tutorial

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod WillowAnne's Avatar
    This is so pretty! I can't wait to see the finished product!

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Alstromerias! My favorite flowers! That looks awesome.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Thank you guys so much! I was so happy I remembered I had those just waiting to get thrown away... Now my top is going to be even more awesome than I originally thought

Aziara: Thanks for letting me know the name! I was just calling it a lily LOL

Looks like I''ll even have some left over for a headpiece! WOOT!

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Senior Member Pod of New England Echinacea's Avatar
    Add Echinacea on Facebook
    *drool* You do such beautiful work!! Can't wait to see what it comes out like!! And a headpiece to match would be perfect!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Looking pretty awesome, there!

Looks amazing great job

Aww, thank you all so much! You're making me blush a bit...

Yay! More pics! I ran out of greenery unless I feel like running out to the barn later, which I probably will so I can get just a touch more coverage, but the main part of the cup is ready for shells and jewels!

Name:  P90900412.JPG
Views: 491
Size:  48.4 KB

Name:  P90900422.JPG
Views: 529
Size:  47.6 KB

It was really nice to be able to shape the cup to be smaller as I sewed, because this bra was probably 2 cup sizes too big for me now! Yay for weight loss! (Actually, I'm almost at my first goal! Woot!)

TwitterFacebookInstagram

Bra is currently on hold whilst I make my Halloween costume... However, I did want to let you folks know that Wal-Mart (at least mine) is having a clearance sale on these bras that either have convertible straps or no straps, that would be PERFECT for this tutorial, and they even carry them in nude! I picked up one with convertible straps as an everyday bra for $8, though if I were going to be making this tutorial bra out of one I'd just get the no-straps one as I'd be cutting it to pieces anyways...

TwitterFacebookInstagram

Hmm. I lost over 20 lbs. In the last few months. I really doubt I will fit into this bra, even with the shrinkage from sewing plants on (which I planned for originally).

I mean, on the bright side, I can wear all sorts of swim tops now, and shells will cover more of my chest, but I'm a little sad I won't get to wear this

Perhaps I will finish it and sell it; I don't really know how to accurately tell someone the cup size though, since the band is totally adjustable I don't know if it's a C or a D... But I'm definitely not either of those anymore.

I guess if I sell it I can buy supplies for a bra that will fit me, which would be awesome... But I don't really think I should sell a bra made from a bra that was worn by me for a year. That seems like it could be weird. I mean, not to me, because hardly any of my clothes are new, but I doubt someone would want to buy a used bra, even if it was converted and covered...

TwitterFacebookInstagram

sorry to hear about the top.... congrats about losing the weight though...
    Owner of Under Sea Mermaid Co.

Life is short.... live like there is no tomorrow, and smile all the day....

Swim fast, swim deep, but always reach for your dreams.

Haha thanks :P I'll have to send my tailmaker a whole new body reference pic, LOL!

But yeah, so I dunno what to do with this top. I don't know if other mers have sold used mermaid tops before...I would think so, because it would be a shame to just throw away a beautiful mermaid shell top just because of weight change.

If anyone else thinks I should finish it and try selling, let me know... Otherwise I may tear it down and try either fitting the cups more through more "shirring" or by cutting up the cup area (if the underwire will still fit my ribcage, that is...)

TwitterFacebookInstagram

Looks pretty good so far!

Okay, I decided to finish this bra - because of the way I altered the straps, I can make it fit without having to take the whole thing apart - I just need to "fit" the cup a little bit closer, and I've added extra foliage. I'm pretty much ready to add the shells, I was thinking of drilling some holes to sew them down a bit, but I need to find my dremel to do that. I could jusdt glue them, but of course I'm paranoid about losing shells that way. I'll also be sewing netting over the top of everything for that "stuff-randomly-collected-on-my-boobs" look :P

Hmm, I wonder if I can drill holes in plastic gems...

TwitterFacebookInstagram

Got my mer-wrangler/merman to drill some holes in those shells! Getting ready to attach them now

So I decided that since I found so much foliage for this top, I won't be encrusting this one in jewels. I'm going more for a "wild" look with this one, and for the most part it's made with things that would have otherwise been thrown away.

I'll be making another top or two in the near future, including a sparkly, bejeweled/scaled top

TwitterFacebookInstagram

Ok, so I'm almost done with this top! I've got it nicely covered in foliage and re-fitted to fit me better now (basically, I puckered the fabric while I sewed on foliage and shells to make it smaller). My duct-tape double Lucy has come in very handy with this, and she's a little squishy, so I can get a somewhat accurate fit while working from her

I took some pictures to show you folks the neat idea I had that unfortunately won't work with this material... I had little fairy-like draping bits on the bottom, and it would work just fine for swimming and such... My main concern is taking outdoors photoshoots. This particular netting is very fine crocheted plastic thread, and I'm terrified of ripping it to shreds on a branch or the like. So I'm taking it off and doing some bead draping bits instead, but I thought I'd show you first because it is a very cute idea, which I will be implementing on another top in the future (in a sturdier material).

Name:  P1060117.JPG
Views: 356
Size:  100.0 KB

Name:  P1060118.JPG
Views: 411
Size:  98.6 KB

Name:  P1060119.JPG
Views: 387
Size:  93.4 KB

TwitterFacebookInstagram

Almost done! Please excuse my face, I am fighting a cold or something and feel kind of rubbish

Name:  1609000_3821425790885_1372101612_n.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  81.8 KB

Name:  1555674_3821425830886_264979283_n.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  102.5 KB

Name:  1558754_3821425670882_2008977616_n.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  87.1 KB

Name:  1508323_3821425750884_1886408759_n.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  65.9 KB

That purple yarn is just for fitting-while-making purposes. It will be replaced with something fancier :P

TwitterFacebookInstagram

Looks super great!! It's a good thing you were able to adjust the size of the bra, it would be a shame to have to give it away

Thank you so much! I'm really glad I could adjust the cups as well - thanks to the lacing design the band will always fit :P I'm going to try to finish this up today, just a few minor things to finish sewing down

TwitterFacebookInstagram

wow that's really creative!

Thank you Golden Pearl!

I am always broke, so I try to make crafts with what I have laying around, and this was the result! Many of the materials for this were destined for the trash originally.

TwitterFacebookInstagram