Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Miyu's first shell top! Pic-heavy/Mini-tutorial

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    That is SO cute!
    I LOVE it! I don't think I'd have ever thought of a lace-up back like that.
    You're so Clever!
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Aww thanks! I saw it used a lot in "tribal" belly dance outfits (the kind of folks you find at Burning Man and such), but there were no tutorials I really like the fact that it's SO supportive AND it moves with you. Morticia is also doing the same style of straps on her new top after seeing mine on me (She took the pics of me wearing it)

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Too TOO clever! I just love it! It would be so neat on longer tops, too. A corseted back on a swim top.
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

I'm actually planning on making some of my swim tops lace-up in the back. I've seen some really cute ones on Etsy by a designer in Hawaii in that style.

TwitterFacebookInstagram

I just love love love the lace up! Super awesome idea- I've always been a sucker for that myself. I also love the flower effect that you did with the plants. Very neat

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Actually, that may be just the thing I need to make my other swim top fit right....
    Mermaid Dottie

I'm sure it would work, Dottie! It's super-duper adjustable. I've even seen a lot photos of more voluptuous ladies wearing this style at Bellydance events, and they looked fantastic! I think it's a style that can really suit anyone.

Thank you Iona! I didn't have the money to buy aquarium plants and netting, but we have LOADS of old fabric flowers laying around the house! This took a surprisingly small amount of foliage. I separated most pieces from the plastic "vein" backing so they wouldn't poke me. I left a few with it, strategically placed to not poke, for some depth.

Also, I must admit that I am a big fan of how the lacing makes my back look... It really makes me feel SO MUCH like some sort of fantasy creature!

I plan on wearing this with fairy costumes as well

TwitterFacebookInstagram

Miyu, very proud of you. this looks great!!! I am so glad you finished it
    Owner of Under Sea Mermaid Co.

Life is short.... live like there is no tomorrow, and smile all the day....

Swim fast, swim deep, but always reach for your dreams.

Thanks so much! It's not quite finished yet. Should be getting that done here in the next few hours though. I really wanted to get it done for examples for your shop and my fundraiser.

TwitterFacebookInstagram

PICTURES!!!

The sun came out for a couple of minutes yesterday, so I rushed out and took some pics before it went away... Sorry it looks funny, it's on a skirt-clip-hanger thing and not on Lucy

Name:  P2160171.JPG
Views: 334
Size:  113.7 KB

Name:  P2160172.JPG
Views: 336
Size:  104.1 KB

Name:  P2160173.JPG
Views: 211
Size:  106.1 KB

It's pretty much done. I think I may add a dash more of the glow-in-the-dark seed beads on the one side to even it out a bit.

Yes, I REALLY like things that glow in the dark, I try to make everything glow... Then again, I used to be the "darkwad" at festivals (people insisted on giving me things that lit up so I wouldn't get run over), so maybe now I'm just trying to make up for it by making everything glow.

TwitterFacebookInstagram

looks good Miyu
    Owner of Under Sea Mermaid Co.

Life is short.... live like there is no tomorrow, and smile all the day....

Swim fast, swim deep, but always reach for your dreams.

Senior Member Pod of The South MermanZen's Avatar
    Looks amazing

Very cool!! I'm glad that it's supportive, I'm a 34DD and support is a constant concern for me. Looks rad! Great job!

Thank you! Morticia made one with the same lacing system after she saw mine, and hers supports her rather well too! So I think it would be very supportive for pretty much anyone, since you no longer have to worry about band size (and cup size is customizable as you sew stuff on). I've been in need of a supportive, not-halter dance top for several years, I can't believe it took me this long to make it... -_-;

TwitterFacebookInstagram

well done! I love it >w<
    (Formerly known as Mermaid Claudia)

This is awesome! I have just bought my first tail and a matching bikini top(that did not work well while swimming) And now I have also bought straps for making it like yours! I have been looking for something like this for weeks!

It turned out so pretty! Awesome job!
    Formerly known as "kimmie".

Looks great! I love all the greenery.

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene WebNeptune's Keep WebFacebookMG YouTubeNK YouTubeEtsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Oh man, this turned out sooo pretty! I love the idea of using aquarium plants, some of them are gorgeous. And congrats on your weight loss! (Also, dude, glowing things, sign me up, I love that stuff.)
    Edit: I don't know why I mentioned aquarium plants. I'm a doofus.
    Last edited by QueenZero; 10-26-2014 at 04:24 PM.

Thank you kind folks! I still really love this top, it served me well all summer at festivals! It's been very accommodating of my changing bust sizes. I love being able to literally run around a festival and not worry about the security and coverage of my top!

Moonmaiden, I'm glad you're making good use of my tutorial! The internet severely needed one like this.

QueenZero: thank you! I actually didn't have aquarium plants when I made it, so I made do with what was on hand - therefore it's more of a dry top than a swimming top. I'm planing on making a swimming top soon, after I finish the top I'm making for MermaidMichelle! And thank you about the weight loss - now I'm working on exercises to get toned and fit! :3

TwitterFacebookInstagram