Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Meet up 2014

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    This would be a 6 hour drive for me, but I might have to do it. Is it ok for folks outside the pod of Texas to come?
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

Senior Member Pod of Texas Dacora's Avatar
    I dont see why not Aziara.
    I wont be able to go to Austin, I might be in Port A or Corpus Christi in June. So if anyone who is down there and wants to do a meet up maybe we can make plans.

~The goldfish mermaid~

Senior Member Pod of Texas Naufra's Avatar
    Have we picked a date for Austin in June? I'd like to put in my time-off request at work as soon as possible. ^_^
    User formerly known as "Zicoxite".

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mary Marine's Avatar
    Everyone, I created a poll page for us to vote which weekend we want for the meet up. If you are planning to attend or would like to attend, help us pick a date. I'd like as many of us to be able to go as possible!

Here's the poll: http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p...b0aa0bc59ef8ea
    "I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living." — Anaïs Nin

I would like to go, I'm orginally from texas but I'm living in colorado and am going to visit in the summer anyways. Is it going to be in austin? For sure then?

Senior Member Pod of Texas Kaila Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Kaila Mermaid On Twitter Add Kaila Mermaid on Facebook
    Follow Kaila Mermaid on Tumblr
    I would really enjoy going and live in the San Antonio area, so either Austin or the coast are practically equidistant. Oh goody, I hope this meetup works out! *Flips fins excitedly*

Just voted; I am out of town the first week of June so can only go if it's the third. Perhaps we can carpool down from Dallas?

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    Just voted; I am out of town the first week of June so can only go if it's the third. Perhaps we can carpool down from Dallas?
    I voted for either, but I'm leaning towards that weekend myself. Right now it's tied so if it stays that way I'll be the tie breaker and pick the 21-22. I would love to carpool! We should hang out and get to know each other better, maybe sometime this month?
    "I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living." — Anaïs Nin

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteWalker View Post
    I would like to go, I'm orginally from texas but I'm living in colorado and am going to visit in the summer anyways. Is it going to be in austin? For sure then?
    Looks to be that way. Most people seem to be suggesting Austin because it's centrally located and has better water visibility than most lakes in DFW. I guess unless there are major objections the meet up is unofficially in Austin...? Maybe I'll make another poll for locations, but it's only useful if you guys vote. I just want everyone who wants to come to be able to, so the sooner we pick a location and date the easier it will be to plan.

Just to make it official, here's a poll for where to hold the 2014 summer meet up:

Most people have been saying Austin, so if no one votes that's where it will stay, but I wanted a chance for everyone to speak up.

Also, if you haven't already please vote for what weekend we should have the meet up here:

http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p...b0aa0bc59ef8ea

Let's get this all figured out so people can start asking off from work and making travel plans. I'm so excited!

Well my friends just invited me to Acon this year, which is June 6-8, so now I'm leaning towards the weekend of the 21-22, though originally when I voted I said either. Right now the votes for the meet up look like this:

June 7-8: 3
    June 21-22: 3
    Either: 1

If you want to go to the Meet Up, please vote or comment on the thread on which weekend it better for you! I really want as many people to be able to go as possible so we need to know what weekend people are available.

For the location Austin is winning at the moment. Odds are that's where it will be, so start suggesting good swim spots. We need a place with good water visibility that's deep enough to tail swim and not too crowded. I don't know the area, but oh my goodness there are some BEAUTIFUL places!

Name:  hamilton_pool_630.jpg
Views: 3130
Size:  326.6 KBName:  pace_bend_630.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  420.0 KBName:  mckinney_falls_630.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  308.0 KBName:  san_marcos_river_630.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  238.6 KBName:  hippie_hollow_630.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  281.3 KB

Member Pod of Texas mermaid_ashes's Avatar
    Add mermaid_ashes on Facebook
    I voted! Im going to say as far as location...im thinking Hamilton pool its going to have the clearest water and its plenty deep... but i'll keep thinking about it.

There's also deep eddy which is designed as a regular pool (it even has lanes for laps) but its non clorinated and spring fed.

https://parks.traviscountytx.gov/fin.../hamilton-pool Hamilton pool is gorgeous, but I'm thinking we'd have to get there quite early to all get in together. They restrict who can be in there at once and the website says it gets really crowded in the summer.

Senior Member Pod of Texas
    Pod of The South
    In the general area of Webster and Clear Lake in Texas
    Hey all, I'd go for Austin, since I'll most likely be there this summer due to crazy family stuff. I don't drive, so I'd have to ask someone to come grab me, but I'd help pay for gas and such.
    Swamp fish noises intensify

Yeah i thought about that too. Bassilcly for Hamilton pool we could all plan to be there lined up by 10 am. If we arent, then whoever is late runs the risk of wating about an hour in we got there once at about 11 and only had to wait an hour to get in so it was not that bad. There is also like i said deep eddy and of course barton springs. But the water is fairly murky and theres no beach area like hamilton pool.

This is the site I've been been looking at for locations. http://www.realtyaustin.com/austin-swimming-holes.php It lists peak hours and entry costs, but not water depth or visibility. We should probably pick a few locations in case some don't work out.

Those locations looks amazing! Now we just gotta narrow it down to one or two, then set the date.

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid_ashes View Post
    Yeah i thought about that too. Bassilcly for Hamilton pool we could all plan to be there lined up by 10 am. If we arent, then whoever is late runs the risk of wating about an hour in we got there once at about 11 and only had to wait an hour to get in so it was not that bad. There is also like i said deep eddy and of course barton springs. But the water is fairly murky and theres no beach area like hamilton pool.
    Hamilton pool is definitely the most beautiful, but busy. It can be our first choice and we can have some back ups. I'm not sure where else would be good or how close the back up locations need to be.

I'm REALLY hoping the meet-up turns out to be on 21-22, because I am now officially busy with A-kon on 7-8. My friends are all going so I went ahead and bought my weekend pass. I'll be cosplaying as mermaid Aquata, one of Ariel's sisters. I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be able to do both A-kon and the meet up!

Mary marine - your doing aquata? Thats really cool. Im a party princesses so i get to play ariel a bit XD never in her tail tho. Im not a big con goer but all my friends that go say akon is one of the better ones.

Im thinking as far as 2nd locations if we do Hamilton pool as our first choice we should do something close as a 2nd like reimers ranch. Likewise if we choose another location as 1st choice then chose something close by as a 2nd.

Krause springs will be good too it seams. I havent been but my friends that have say its wonderful.

With Krause springs it may be less crouded and we could call ahead and make sure.
    Last edited by mermaid_ashes; 02-13-2014 at 09:11 PM.

After consulting with CapMetro's trip planner, I have come to the unhappy realization that I will not be able to get to any of these locations by bus on a weekend from any of the stations near were I live. Would anyone be willing to come get me in exchange for gas money? I live in Leander, just North of Austin.