Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Meet up 2014

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Pod of Texas Dacora's Avatar

Meet up 2014

Ok we are going to start planning the meet up here. I am going to post links to polls for us to vote.

This is the first poll.
    http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p...b09938befb146f

Give me some ideas of where yall want it to be up so I can set up the next poll. Post any ideas and concerns here guys.

My thoughts: Spring Break in Galveston, or another coastal area.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mary Marine's Avatar
    On the 2013 summer meet up thread there was discussion of two different meet up locations, on in Dallas and one in Galveston. That way people could go to the one closest to them or have two chances to attend.

Spring break sounds fun, but personally I'd rather not have it then or on a holiday weekend. That way the beaches will be less crowded and hotels less full.

At the very least, I think it would be best to have it early summer, before the heat starts to really set in. That also gives us time if we want to do multiple get-togethers to get to know each other.

Hmm, perhaps May or June then? Public school lets out sometime in June, not sure if we want to do it before then or if it matters.

Looks like June is winning by a landslide. We should probably select a date, and also a "rain date" so people can block both in advance & we don't wind up with the same problem we had this year.
    Ifthereismagiconthisplanet,itiscontainedinwater.
    - Loren Eisley

Re: Meet up 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Marine View Post
    On the 2013 summer meet up thread there was discussion of two different meet up locations, on in Dallas and one in Galveston. That way people could go to the one closest to them or have two chances to attend.
    I think this will be our best bet to make everyone happy. Maybe we should have 2 location polls. One for the south and the other for the north locatons.

Quote Originally Posted by SweeteSiren View Post
    Looks like June is winning by a landslide. We should probably select a date, and also a "rain date" so people can block both in advance & we don't wind up with the same problem we had this year.
    This is also a good idea. When do yall think we should have the rain date?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Would the meet-ups be a one day or two day thing? Like have the main one Saturday, then a second smaller one on Sunday for those who can make it?

Here are the weekends in June:

Saturday 7th - Sunday 8th
    Saturday 21st - Sunday 22nd
    Saturday 28th - Sunday 29th

I left out the 14th and 15th because that's Father's Day weekend. I'm thinking we plan for the 7th and/or 8th and have one of the other weekends as the backup rain date.

If we end up having two different meet ups for the north and south I don't think we should plan them too close together, that way if someone wants to attend both they can. So if one meet up is in June, when should the other one be?

Re: Meet up 2014

I agree with everything you said. It sounds like an awesome plan.

I like the two day event idea.

As fot when the other meet up should be I say we leave it up to vote.

I may have to step down in handling the planning as my parents are going through a divorce and things have gotten pretty hectic around my house. So if you or anyone else wants to step up just say so. Ill post the link to the poll maker as they seem to work well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    Hi Dacora,

I can help plan--at least the Dallas area meetup--if you are not able to. One suggestion for the Dallas area meetup would be Clear Springs Lake. It is a rock bottom lake with great visibility that is open to divers and snorkelers ONLY, which I would assume includes freediving (aka, mermaiding). It would make for good pictures, though there is a twenty dollar fee and minors must have the waiver (available online) signed by parents. I'm not sure how Clear Springs feels about mermaids versus normal freedivers--we would have to call and check about that--but it is one of the few lakes in DFW with good visibility, which makes it good for photo ops. It was, in fact, created with the intent of becoming a SCUBA park.

http://clearspringsscubapark.com/

Otherwise we could hit a public pool or even go to my cabin on Lake Palo Pinto, though it is on what my SCUBA shop calls a "black" lake, aka, VERY poor visibility in the murky green water, like most lakes in North Texas.

As for Galveston, I have not been there in years and would not know of the best times and/or places to meet, though the trip could be fun!

I suggest Austin instead of Dallas. There are a lot of parks with fairly clear water to choose from, and they are open to the public. Hamilton's Pool or Blue Hole state park would both be worth looking into.
    And Blue Lagoon in Huntsville is still an option too!
    Ifthereismagiconthisplanet,itiscontainedinwater.
    - Loren Eisley

Add Seatan on Facebook
    Austin would be good for me--it's a straight shot from DFW, just three hours from me. I used to drive to and from almost every weekend when I lived there. Love that city. Have to see the bats every time I go.

Seavanna, would you still like to take over the planning? We more than likely wont have the money to go anywhere this year so I wont be able to go.

Add Seatan on Facebook
    Sure, I will be happy to plan!
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Firemaid's Avatar
    Oh hey guys!
    Me too!
    I live in Austin!

Thank you Seavanna! Hopefully I'll be able to go.

~The goldfish mermaid~

Just popping back in now that it's 2014. I could definitely do Dallas, but I'll have to see about Austin since I have an expensive trip planned later in the year. The big expense would be finding a place to stay for the night, since I wouldn't want to drive to Austin and back in one day. Would anyone in the Dallas area be interested in carpooling and/or getting a hotel room together? I have a small car, a Kia Spectra, but the stickers are up to date and it runs!

Member Pod of Texas mermaid_ashes's Avatar
    Add mermaid_ashes on Facebook
    June is good, I personally think Austin has the best lakes/swimming holes in the texas area (or at least the prettiest) but i'm also down for Galveston or some other coastal area. in the surrounding austin area Blue hole is beautiful, so is hamilton pool, both places get crowded in the summer so arriving early is a must if you don't want to wait in your car in a line for an hour. (we've had to do that for Hamilton and blue hole) also barton springs is a nice place too, though also very crowded and not as quiet as the others because their is not a capacity limit.

Looks like June in Austin is winning so far. We need to pick a date and a bad weather date just in case. How about June 7 - 8, the first weekend of the month? And if something happens June 21 - 22? Or plan for the 21 - 22 and have the 28 - 29 as backup?

If we end up meeting on the 21st we should call it the "Pod of Texas Fish Fry" since that's the Summer Solstice, the longest day of the year.

Member Pod of Texas mermaid_ashes's Avatar
    Add mermaid_ashes on Facebook
    Im good with any of these dates.