Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying Bag for Silicone Tail?!

Quote Originally Posted by RayeBlonde View Post
    IKEA IKEA IKEA IKEA.

Those giant ass blue IKEA bags are the ONLY thing I can fit my tail in.
    Attachment 14155
    It is quite uncomfortable on the shoulders because the straps are thin.

Also, the ends of the fluke fold over and do stick out of the bag.

I tried to get my merbellas tail in a blue Ikea bag but it isen't deep enough

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I hired local mer Saphina to make one for me. she's the best. You can see pics on my instagram way back

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I hired local mer Saphina to make one for me. she's the best. You can see pics on my instagram way back
    I'll check her profile and ask her ^^
    Is the bag made of just normal cotton fabric?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Delphine's Avatar
    Wow, thanks for all the ideas! You mers are fin-tastically helpful! I'll try a couple & report back!

(Also, yay I'm not the only one with this tail problem! XD The heavy tails are awesome but totally harder to transport.)

I know this thread is old-ish, but I'm looking at getting one of these:
    http://www.freedivershop.com/waterwa...ty-monofin-bag
    Name:  monobag_1.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  18.1 KB

The only issue is, I cannot find the dimensions of the bag ANYWHERE online. I know its big- but my silicone fluke is HUGE. I'm going to ask around on the freediving forums to see if someone can measure it for me.

North Pacific Pod

Oregon. Home of bipolar weather and rain in 30 degree weather.
    Add SIF on Facebook
    Visit SIF's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizuko View Post
    I know this thread is old-ish, but I'm looking at getting one of these:
    http://www.freedivershop.com/waterwa...ty-monofin-bag
    Name:  monobag_1.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  18.1 KB

The only issue is, I cannot find the dimensions of the bag ANYWHERE online. I know its big- but my silicone fluke is HUGE. I'm going to ask around on the freediving forums to see if someone can measure it for me.
    They are usually only about the size of a large monofin. Aaaaand the straps HURT.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssaf1sh56 View Post
    They are usually only about the size of a large monofin. Aaaaand the straps HURT.
    I have a competitor monofin in my fluke, which is a large-sized monofin, so I'm curious to if it will fit (if I fold the floppy bits of the fluke down). I wouldn't mind replacing/fixing the shoulder straps though! I'm travelling internationally in less than a month and (if its the right size) this bag would be pretty handy, even if the straps hurt after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssaf1sh56 View Post
    Nyssaf1sh56, have you used one before or do you own one? XD I've asked multiple forums and even the WaterWay facebook page about its dimensions but to no avail. I thought looking up the dimensions of WaterWay monofins would help, but again there are no dimensions of them online either! lol!
    If anyone has any clue to the size of the monofins it can carry, that would be amazing!! I'm travelling in 2 weeks time and I really want to take my tail with me; its too heavy to go as carry-on so it'll have to be checked in, and this is padded for protection.

I know the waterways are about 62cm but they have one tjats similar to the competitor monofin size. Ill ask jv and see, I know he has one ill get back to you on that

Thank you so much Lanai!! <3

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    I am trying to figure out how to make a bag for my Finfolk tail with its ginormous fluke ends. Not an easy puzzle...
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Visit Talia's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Glimmer- Betta~ View Post
    No one has thought of fabric art portfolios? I seriously can't be the only one. :P That's what I stick mine in.

You can get medium ones for quite cheap but the larger you go the more expensive you get. I have a very large one ( about 36"x42") from my art school days. They are a good investment, and would be very easy to attach back pack straps to if you wanted.

http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewi...7/product.html
    http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewi...8/product.html
    http://www.tristatefiling.com/angap9...ortfolios.aspx
    http://www.portfolios-and-art-cases....s-by-size.html
    http://www.tranzporter.com/portfolio-Case-32-42.asp

If youre strapped (seewatididthere) for cash, you can always get the plastic ones too. Those are much more cheaper and are water-resistant. You could punch small holes in the seams to let them drain water. They tend to fall apart thought so they are more of a short term thing (I went through two in a year).
    I hope this helps! <3
    I use one of those too, but I wouldn't trust art portfolios for an airplane ride; they are too flimsy, or at least, mine is. No protection at all, no padding, and if something heavy ended up on top, or someone hit it, the monofin would break for sure. I have a Magictail, so the monofin is delicate.

I traveled by train with it, and I was afraid of putting it on the suitcase rack - for the same reason as before. It's way too big for the overhead shelf and to be under the seats, so it ended up traveling between the last seats of the wagon and the wall. I was keeping an eye on it just in case, but nobody could trip on it, and it did not move at all, since the space was very narrow. Here is a vid of it, in case someone is curious:

I have still yet to find anything that fits mine. Before merfest the joke was several mers with bigger flukes were convinced they could find me something but when I saw their flukes in person they were all able to fold their fluked width wise to a degree and I can't. I have looked up monofin bags and portfolio bags and bike cases eventually my friend Sephina made me a giant tote and for gigs that works. For anything else I have to ship in a box

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Delphine's Avatar
    Hm, yes it seems I'm not the only one with a large-fluke-in-need-of-a-carry-bag problem. Thanks for sharing more, all. At this point, I'm still thinking of designing & making one. Probably in neoprene for sturdiness, customability & to help with water. Most other fabrics would get gross pretty quick, eh? Anyone here ever created a tail a bag from scratch?

I ordered the WaterWay bag a few weeks ago, but it hasn't arrived ^^; So I cant say for sure if my tail will fit (I got the dimensions from the seller; it'll be a tight fit but I might be able to squeeze it in!) I was hoping it would be here by now, as I'm flying to Phuket on Wednesday and wanted to take my new tail with me... dang. :P

Just quick input in case no one else has said it. The key to carrying something heavy like that in a backpack- hipstraps. Backpacking backpacks and other heavy duty ones have them. When done right, it shifts most of the weight to your hips, which helps immensely. I'm planning on making a carrying bag for my tail eventually, and with my back issues I'll be aiming to have those for sure!

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Those art portfolios come in a more sturdy version. Last I checked it was plastic, but you can get the canvas type and pad it with foam or something else soft, then stick your fin in the middle of it.

How bout those tennis or musical instrument cases?

Senior Member Pod of Cali Ashton's Avatar
    Add Ashton on Facebook Add Ashton on Google+
    Follow Ashton on Tumblr Visit Ashton's Youtube Channel
    I am just thinking of making them. Sewing canvas is not that hard and I have done it before, it would just have to be big and structured well.

Update on the WaterWay bag! It arrived 2 days after I got back from Phuket (lol, irony). And my tail fits! JUST. Its a tight fit. I dont really zip it up properly because I dont want to squish it too much. My Competitor monofin has been cut slightly, so I think a full one wouldn't fit, but as it is I'm pretty happy Its a lot easier to carry 15kgs on your back! haha!

North Pacific Pod

Oregon. Home of bipolar weather and rain in 30 degree weather.
    Add SIF on Facebook
    Visit SIF's Youtube Channel
    I went to goodwill and bought two different bags that you transport suits in. One had pockets on the outside and a sturdier shoulder strap and i use it. It works perfectly, with a towel on my shoulder. I need to get a better padded strap.