Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Raina's 'new' sequinned tail!

Senior Member Pod of The South
    Wow... This is taking crazy long! I would have never EVER guessed it would take more time than a silicone tail! Hope the final product is worth it! Have you maintained contact Raina? To make sure she's still working on it? I'd hate to think its taking this long because she is busy and hasnt worked on it in months (or, gulp, years).
    ~Merman Rett Of Georgia~

(Formerly Known as Risingmermaid)

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    that's what I am trying to say, I am not getting any replies from her. I havent heard from her in over a year.

Junior Member Pod of Oceania
    Chesapeake Pod

Add Nadine Persing on Facebook
    Name:  10304019_829043867123728_1879928924365698234_n.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  185.4 KB

Junior Member Pod of Oceania
    Chesapeake Pod

Add Nadine Persing on Facebook
    is that it?? bc if so its on her page

Senior Member Pod of The South
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine Persing View Post
    is that it?? bc if so its on her page
    I dont know if thats it, but it better end up more sequined than that!
    ~Merman Rett Of Georgia~

(Formerly Known as Risingmermaid)

Pod of New England
    Follow Mermaid Melusinah On Twitter Add Mermaid Melusinah on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Melusinah's Youtube Channel
    Let me just say... As some one that works with Sequins and HAND SEWING quite a bit. It takes a LONG time. a very long time. and to try and to it with an already constructed/sewn tail can make it that much more of a challenge.... It is much easier if the pieces are not yet sewn together. The thing is with sequins that small, sewing by hand is the only way that it can be done confidently. But as old as this thread is... I would expect more progressed results then what Is being seen... I hope this works out for you Raina.

Well she's had it two years and that's an old pic and she did take the pieces apart. She switched from sewing to gluing ( without checking with me) I am pretty understanding its not like I need it this second. Very aware of how much goes into this stuff. I just would appreciate answers to my messages etc. If she can't finish it she can mail it back to me. It is my first tail it is sentimental.

She moved to Sarasota I recall but that's the last I heard I think?
    She's still active on her Instagram, have you messaged her there, Raina? https://instagram.com/amyfantasea/ Because if she doesn't reply to that, then it'll really be obvious that she's ignoring you... :/

I really remember her having pictures of your tail on there though, and I don't see ANY progress photos. Seems like she's deleted them to me.

Pod of New England
    Follow Mermaid Melusinah On Twitter Add Mermaid Melusinah on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Melusinah's Youtube Channel
    gluing is faster... but there are huge risks with that. for one, the tail is going to lose its stretch and flexibility once that glue dries, making it difficult to move well in... second, movements could potentially cause the sequins to pop off if its not the right kind of glue (even if it is the right kind) when it comes to sequins, in my opinion and experience, there is no room for short cuts. you have to dedicate fully. its a work of sweat, labor and love.

well no glue that we had tried originally bonded to it which is why we wanted sewing. Because it's vinyl. glue just peeled right off. Like I said, this is my first tail it's sentimental to me. If she can't finish it I' djust like it back and maybe over time I can work on it.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Morticia Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Morticia Mermaid On Twitter Add Morticia Mermaid on Facebook Add Morticia Mermaid on Google+
    Visit Morticia Mermaid's Youtube Channel
    Coming from experience, gluing sequins on a tail SUCKS. No matter how careful you are they usually end up glued together, which makes the tail REALLY stiff. I've been working on my tail off and on for a year, barely half way up the calves (my tail is sewn together as it was made with scraps from orders). But seriously though, a tail thats been split shouldn't take that long to finish. Hope you can get it back from her
    I claim Pat 1001! ~Mermaid Morticia

Mermaid Tails and accessories available at ~ ♥Facebook- Siren's CallingGoogle+Website
    Morticia Mermaid FacebookGoogle+

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I certainly hope that's an old photo because I can sew that many sequins in an evening!

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    well no glue that we had tried originally bonded to it which is why we wanted sewing. Because it's vinyl. glue just peeled right off. Like I said, this is my first tail it's sentimental to me. If she can't finish it I' djust like it back and maybe over time I can work on it.
    I'm sorry, Raina, this is really sucky! I think it's been long enough that it should definitely be finished. Sure, sewing sequins by hand takes awhile, but you can also do it while you watch TV--it's a pretty mindless action if you are good at sewing. So it's not like she'd have to put her life on hold to finish this! If you make a commitment I feel like you either need to stick to it or admit defeat and cut the losses.
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

I couldn't find a sequin tailmaking thread, and since this isn't a full tutorial, I thought I'd post it here for easy reference...Please tell me if you want it moved to its own thread...

Some things I’ve learned about sequins...

Contemporary sequins are colored plastic disks that often have a mylar coating, either metallic or iridescent, that can sometimes peel off - THIS CAN BE A PROBLEM WHEN GLUING ON SEQUINS, the coating can lift off and you lose the sequin. Iridescent/AB finish sequins are best sewn on because of this. ALWAYS test/destroy a couple of potential sequins to see if that will be a problem BEFORE you start a big sequin project. Holographic sequins are usually made from solid sheets of holographic plastic and don’t have a peeling issue.

You’ll always need more sequins than you think. The overlap eats up a lot of coverage.

Attaching methods:

Gluing sequins to fabric:
    For making scales, I have successfully used E6000 for gluing sequins to Spandex, and what I do is squeeze a small blob onto the top 1/4 of the back of the sequin

Name:  Screen shot 2015-04-27 at 12.41.32 PM.png
Views: 704
Size:  23.0 KB,

and press it into place, giving a little pull then a push to get some of the glue to squish through the hole and over the top edge of the sequin to grab it - the bottom 3/4 of the sequin stays unglued.

Name:  Screen shot 2015-04-27 at 12.41.40 PM.png
Views: 722
Size:  16.3 KB

For both methods, overlap your next row over the top, building up the rows. This way, the sequin is captured, it overlaps like a fish scale and there is enough unglued fabric between each sequin for it to stretch.

Sewing sequins to spandex (I haven’t tried neoprene):
    This method is METICULOUS AND TEDIOUS, but I find the best way to make your sequin tail the most comfortable and durable.

Each scale gets three stitches and two knots. You don’t have to cut in between each scale, but you do have to leave some slack in the thread. I’m telling you now, you will feel threads breaking each time you put it on if you don’t, but, if done correctly, it won’t be an issue. I prefer to go back and cut in between each sequin so I don’t tear anything.

To get the scales to lie flat, here’s how I do it...this works for sequins whose hole is in the top or sequins with a center hole:
    First: make a small knot in your thread, one that won’t pull through your spandex, come up through your sequin...make a LEFT, CENTER and RIGHT stitch. Make another knot. Personally, I prefer French Knots, they’re easy and won’t pull through the fabric or sequin. LEAVE AT LEAST 1” OF THREAD LOOSE BETWEEN SEQUINS. This will accommodate for stretching, and if it breaks, you MAY only lose one sequin.

START NEXT SEQUIN WITH ANOTHER KNOT. Make sure all your knots are on the inside of the tail.

Name:  Screen shot 2015-04-27 at 12.41.46 PM.png
Views: 583
Size:  20.7 KB
    Name:  Screen shot 2015-04-27 at 12.41.49 PM.png
Views: 617
Size:  23.3 KB

So, it’s KNOT, STITCH STITCH STITCH, KNOT - REPEAT. Cut later.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by PearlieMae; 04-27-2015 at 01:57 PM.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    Pearlie, you are awesome as always.
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Yeah e600 doesn't work on stretch vinyl. I tried before I sent it along with multiple fabric glues.

I don't wanna sound ungrateful I just want it back

Yeah, not a lot sticks to that. It would have to be sewn.

Still haven't heard anything?

Nope