Thread: Raised Edges

Raised Edges

Okay, so me and my dad will be working on a silicone tail soon, and we want to do something like this
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
    But I'm not sure we can make this tail because the fluke has that raised black "railing" on the edges. That is usually done by mold making, which we can't do. Any ideas?

BTW I'll probably use ALEX. We plan on taking a trip to Lowe's for our silicone.
    Last edited by APhishOutofWater; 09-10-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Senior Member Pod of Texas taom's Avatar
    Raven utilized plastic tubing along the sides of her monofin to get a raised effect. The same might work for your tail, as well.

Thanks for the help guys!
    BTW I'm also curious on how she did the scales.
    Last edited by APhishOutofWater; 09-06-2011 at 10:41 PM.

Raven, I believe, molded the scales. Each one was kind of crafted by hand, and therefore takes a really long time to do. My mer-sis actually just did it that way, and it took her well over a month to completely finish it.

Actually the tail pictured was made of ALEX. She was the original creator of the tutorial on the technique on using fish netting for scale texture and ALEX tails (since removed per her request), and that was the tail she made in the tutorial. However she has said multiple times not to use ALEX any longer because it is not a suitable material.

Her new molded [slip cast] latex tails are the ones with hand sculpted scales. They're gorgeous, btw- pic here and here.