Page 5 of 84 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: PearlieMae's Silicone Tail Journey

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod WillowAnne's Avatar
    Oh wow. This is already so stunning!

This is so pretty pearlie! How high is your sculpture? It looks pretty thick!

It's beautiful! I have the same question as Jessica. Is it thick?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Delphine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    I think it looks thick because of the high contrast lighting, the larger heart isn't even a half inch at the thickest. Since the monofin is going to be a built in sheet of Lexan, it's not going to be very bulky inside. And once I get it all smoothed, it will be even thinner. Chances are, I will be brushing in my slow cure silicone rather than pouring it. Also, I want the center to be a bit thicker for better propulsion.
    Just something to think about. The thicker the fluke half, the heavier. My 3ft fluke halves aren't thick (maybe.. 3/4" at thickest?), but with the monofin are the heaviest part of entire tail! Literally weighs 20 lbs! XD It also may be a good idea to thin it at the edges, including the fluke's tips. I did this for my tail, however wished I did some more thinning. Anyway, your cicada fluke is coming along quite beautifully!!! I look forward to watching & reading more as you progress. =P

Wow wow wow, PearlieMae this is looking incredible! So unique and beautiful! I cant wait to see more!!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Coradion's Avatar

Visit Coradion's Youtube Channel
    It looks fantastic! What kind of clay are you using?

That is starting to look amazing Can't wait to see more!

This is gonna be crazy fucking epic. I can't wait to see when this is done. Oh my. I am excited. :3
    ~<3
    If you could be so kind as to like my page, I'd appreciate it:
    https://www.facebook.com/patchesthemermaid/

Congratulations on your progress Pearlie Mae

Wow PearlieMae, this looks amazing so far. I cannot wait ti see the final product of your fluke sculpt. I love the design.... as I get better, I will try more complex fluke patterns
    Owner of Under Sea Mermaid Co.

Life is short.... live like there is no tomorrow, and smile all the day....

Swim fast, swim deep, but always reach for your dreams.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Firemaid's Avatar
    OMG! I love your sculpt so much!!!!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Delphine's Avatar
    Phew! You work fast, PearlieMae! Awesome, keep on going. Whoa, cool fish-inspiration! You must be detail-oriented. Me too, so I can appreciate all your work on the little design bits. The fluke is gunna be so awesome! What are you planning on using to "paint" onto silicone scales? Silicone is one of the hardest things to paint, because nothing permanently "sticks" to it, except itself. I was using Smooth-On & considered: Pyscho Silicone Paint (http://www.smooth-on.com/Platinum-Cu...198/index.html) before I decided to buy pigments (white concentrated liquid, & blue-purple iridescent powder) to mix directly into my silicone before pouring in my molds. Cool, Mirco-Mark also makes a silicone putty. I got one & recently started playing with it. After all my silicone use, it's the easiest mold in the world & FOOD SAFE! So could make ice-cubes, candy etc as well as art sculptures (which I'm totally into right now!). Oh, do you have a design for some type of top/shirt? I ended up doing both, but didn't use the fishnet halter much.

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    I'll be mixing pigments into the silicone as I lay it into the mold, I have a ton of Pearl Ex and other artists pigments.

I'm thinking of making some loose kelp fronds and fashioning them into a top...since I'm kinda flatchested and thick in the middle, I want something a little more forgiving! I have shell/nets/greenery to fall back on. I was lucky to score some pearilzed greenery at Michaels back in the spring!
    You need some starfish! Starfish really only look good in my opinion on smaller cup sizes because they're so bulky.

Post a pic of your pearly greenery? I'd love to see it!

What crafts and craft fair are you doing? I make and sell jewelry up in va once a year. Looks like we have more in common than mermaids....we're both pretty crafty!

Senior Member Pod of Texas Firemaid's Avatar
    The broken hearts are really cute.

This fluke of yours is looking phenomenal!
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

I love how whimsical and fanciful the design is Pearlie Mae! Very original.

WOW! So neat, I can't wait to see it done in silicone!

You're a great sculptor! I love it!

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Nyx's Avatar
    Add Nyx on Facebook
    Follow Nyx on Tumblr Visit Nyx's Youtube Channel
    WOW this is going to look fantastic when you are done!

That fluke is gonna come out nice, can't wait to see the finished product.